Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
@white wolf
spanish hey.. that cable photo isn't clear.
la foto no se ve muy bien.

You'll have to do it using the old GUI,
Tienes k usa el biejo programa

Haces esto:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...203#post921203

@Estel
hmm... I guess you know more then me, I thought it would auto regulate, Just like the charge script, it shows when it's charging and when it's not.
I get a year out of a battery, leaving it on charge over night and charging at work... A year is about right for a battery tho... and they're cheap enough...

One of my biggest hate with the N900, is running out of battery
So I always charge

Edit type

Last edited by bingomion; 2011-12-07 at 22:44.

@whitewolf
You can charge device, while using it in hostmode with USB device(s) enabled.

Your cable looks correct, except for fact, that diodes are *unnecessary*, and actually prevent You from charging. Using cable with diodes, You can power Your USB device externally, but You can't charge N900.

Using same design cable *without* diodes, You can both use USB devices, and charge N900.

/Estel

Ps.

charge.sh isn't my script, it's shadowjk's/joerg_rw's one, probably based on Meego (now Mer) charge.sh

@bingomion
You may consider building/purchasing dual-scud battery alongside Mugen Cover (3000 mAh of real capacity). It's relatively cheap, and battery life boost is unimaginable.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-12-07 at 22:54.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Noooo.... I love my otter box too much

I've bought these little beauties and hacked a USB male cable to the red/black wires for charging.. works very well.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-pcs-NEW...item2a1413254b

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
@whitewolfcharge.sh isn't my script, it's shadowjk's/joerg_rw's one, probably based on Meego (now Mer) charge.sh
definitely not. ShadowJK's script is based on my original POC, and mer/meego is based on shadowJK's

and all those scripts use bq24150 built in intelligence to treat battry nicely, no overcharging, no keeping it floating at max voltage. Actually it's bme that does such nasty things, not though our script ;-). For your usecases where charging hostmode would get in the way: they sound rather niche case to me, and you better deal with them in a special manner taking into account the default behaviour of whatever BlueLED comes up with, rather than requesting that this convenience function gets not implemented into H-E-N.

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by blue_led View Post
@pali
it can be very possible, even OTG mode
but this depend on vbus switching and the patch will be very specialized pointing only for rx51
sensing speed of device can be done without a timer for bq24500. 32s is enough for all jobs
now it is clear for me how to do this. as my post above..
first part ->hardware detection of the device
power the vbus and read debug register
here we have 3 cases
0 no device
1 low speed device
2 high or full
after this, speed can be set and read device descriptor
if the device is high speed then switch
high speed devices can be read in full speed mode

the goal of my script is to prove the concept

@everybody

[Announce] The n900 hostmode script
features: icon, automatic speed, status area icon ,notifications, mass sotorage automount, no gui

unzip the attachment in a folder
as root run
Code:
chmod 755 install.sh
install.sh
LE: zip updated with icon file. sorry for mistake
please reload
thanks for this great app... Makes life easy!!...

But im having some problems when unmounting a drive...
It successfuly unmounts it but it reboots the phone after..
Need some help please.... Thx...

thank you blue_led for this nice and useful script!
i've used it with several different usb-sticks and it always detected the correct speed. but in some cases there seem to be a problem with mounting. some of the sticks i tried weren't mounted automatically while manual mounting after the "speed detection" process was no problem. so i think it should be possible with the script too (was no problem with the mount-button in hen gui either).
what could be the problem here?

another problem is that no device is found when i use my highspeed usb hub (using one or two sticks at the same time doesn't make a difference).

i would be happy to help with testing - so if there is anything i can do let me know...

i really like how the awesome devs here make the n900 better and better with all the useful stuff they create

Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
I've installed the script. My tests show that as long as a flash drive no problems.

Recognizes the speed and mounts ... the problem has arisen with my hard drives or self-powered devices. Here I have never located the devices must use the manual interface H-E-N.

This script promises.

I try to add the functionality to power the battery charging mode automatically.

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
definitely not. ShadowJK's script is based on my original POC, and mer/meego is based on shadowJK's

and all those scripts use bq24150 built in intelligence to treat battry nicely, no overcharging, no keeping it floating at max voltage. Actually it's bme that does such nasty things, not though our script ;-). For your usecases where charging hostmode would get in the way: they sound rather niche case to me, and you better deal with them in a special manner taking into account the default behaviour of whatever BlueLED comes up with, rather than requesting that this convenience function gets not implemented into H-E-N.

cheers
jOERG
I'm not opting on *excluding* hostmode charging from blue_led scripts. I'm suggesting, that forcing every user to use it (or modify scripts) is bad idea - as opposed to allowing using it by executing two simple commands from xterm (boostoff && charge.sh), or even creating one script, that, upon execution, invoke those 2 commands - for lazy ones .

Calling charging from xterm by 1/2 short commands seems reasonable for script, that works from xterm anyway. Forcing user to *always* do charge.sh, or modify scripts itself to get rid of it, isn't fun. Nor it resemble the "ideological" Open/Linux way of doing things.

Of course, if it gets implemented as "force to use it", I can live with that, and modify script / fork it if others would be interested in using such version (like it was for a long time with backupmenu, and backupmenu-multiboot - while, t was very easy to implement one version working for all). After all, final decision belongs to blue_led. Still, I don't think it's good idea, to *force* such commands on user.

Not to mention complications on script-side (determining, when it should do boostoff/charge, or not - trying that without external power source would break hostmode), but that's different topic.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
1) charging hostmode
until now i can't find a solution to detect a charger when vbus is 5V.
monitoring battery current, voltage ... no work
so there is two solutions
a) charging_hostmode-hardware_assisted mean a delay circuit controlled by vbus and controlling voltage applied to the vbus. A delay of 40s from first high transition of vbus is enough to allow n900 to detect and controll usb-phy
a variant of this solution can be ID pin signalling on external charger after a delay. this is very easy to detect ( kernel side ) and easy to write a udev rule . ( this will be my final choice for myself )

b) status area aplet with "Charge" button > more friendly with users who are not electronic engineers

i will provide both solutions ( with schematic )

2) some mount problems
i tested my script with direct attached flash media . in case if hub is used this add a delay until flash media is detected. i assume 7s is enough .
qiuck workaround > increase the delay ( sleep 7 ) after (banner "$m13";sleep 1) line until the hdd are mounted . try 15s

some hubs don't properly handle full speed timings. in the next release high speed will have priority

the mount job will be removed from the script but unmount will be keep for a while.
automount is tested and working but abrupt remove of media can cause some problems
filemanager go crazy ( cpu ^ 80% ) if a device is removed and usb virtualhub can't handle reset event properly messing badly the things.

now i test some nasty ideas

the script can be used with any usb device !!
please report if anyone use script icon on desktop

Last edited by blue_led; 2011-12-13 at 01:50.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blue_led For This Useful Post:
By the way, is there any chance, that you could - via Your scripts - include a fix for "standby current draw" - a bug that results in increased battery consumption, after using hostmode. It is 100% reproducible, and to fix it one need to connect charger for a moment.

Once, joerg_rw suggested, that just "cheating" device to think that charger is connected for a moment, would also work. If, by any chance, this can be done via Your scripts, it would increase independence from wall socket, not to mention lowering wear & tear on USB port

Also, there was unconfirmed reports about fixing it by enabling booston, killing it, and invoking boostoff - ho ever, I'm unable to determine for 100% if it really works or not (some times, it seem to work, on other occasions, I still have increased battery usage until connecting and disconnecting charger).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, detection, h-e-n, hostmode, speed, usb host