Originally Posted by kingstu View Post
I do like toughbooks and they are getting more tablets that are linux compatible. Perhaps looked at rugged devices might be a way to go as they usually have removable batteries, are designed to last and have legacy ports. I just noticed the Amrel DB7 which is probably expensive but might be worth it for some (especially if bought used).
One big thank you for this information:
Asking for a quotation now, let us see how much they ask for installing Debian on it
With 4gb of ram it should blow past anything Ubuntu does.
(8gb would be nice but probably chugs battery)
The option of getting 256gb disk is intriguing.

It uses Intel wifi,
not some bottom-of-the-septic-tank Broadcom scumcrust.

Not sure if I read that correctly but a ublox GPS works okay,
if that is actually inside the device.

It has a sim card slot, but not clear on what runs it.

It is a bit heavy,
making the n900 look like a rock-star...

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
No but then I've never tried to do something productive with Emacs and a real keyboard.
Well what DO you use then?

IMHO text editor is one of the most important pieces of software since you keep on staring at it for the most of your day... it better be damn good.

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
And it would have only gone on sale in Azerbaijan and other esoteric markets where the N9 initially was sold. I am not convinced the N9, Lauta or any of it would have made a dent since most of the board was either behind Elop or starting to turn against the drama surrounding Symbian.
The N9 was canned in "non-esoteric" markets where they wanted to sell the Lumia 800 instead, so as not to cause confusion as they looked visually almost identical.

Without Elop and the board diverting to Windows Phone, N9 would have gone on sale everywhere, with a US variant with the right bands (the same hardware that got capacitive buttons and was used as the Lumia 800).
Quickly followed up by the Lauta for nerds/business.

Devs would hopefully have been interested as the Qt-everywhere story was just starting to actually work (runtimes deployed to Symbian, native on Harmattan), so Symbian devs (of which there were still some) and other smartphone devs would have been able to target a large pre-existing Symbian and new Harmattan userbase with relative ease.

It would have been a beautiful thing.
Maybe.
A small chance at least.

As opposed to the zero chance WP had of "saving" Nokia, as echoed by all commentators at the time. The most charitable assumed MS had something almost ready up their sleeves for WP 7.5/8 which would have really changed the game, that the Nokia board were privy to. They did not.
And the rest is history.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
One big thank you for this information:
Asking for a quotation now, let us see how much they ask for installing Debian on it

Not sure if I read that correctly but a ublox GPS works okay,
if that is actually inside the device.

It has a sim card slot, but not clear on what runs it.
There is a downloadable user manual which adds a little insight. It has accessories like a keyboard and a dock. The WWAN is data-only and typically use linux-friendly pcie cards, like sierra wireless or erricson.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kingstu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
There is a downloadable user manual which adds a little insight. It has accessories like a keyboard and a dock. The WWAN is data-only and typically use linux-friendly pcie cards, like sierra wireless or erricson.
Sorry but I do not want a keyboard accessory. I have a TOHKBD and I ended up not using it after all. Too awkward. If it ain't integrated, I am not interested.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I received an answer,
but the answer was simply a question about
"...your application or how you intend to use this ..."
which indicates they are not selling a product,
they want to control the user.
Good luck with that marketing strategy.

Just another authoritarian dead end.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well what DO you use then?

IMHO text editor is one of the most important pieces of software since you keep on staring at it for the most of your day... it better be damn good.
Sublime mostly these days though I've also been through Textmate, BBedit, Brackets, Espresso, Coda and a few others.

On Android, usually DroidEdit.

Have been known to paste into vi/nano/pico from a GUI editor.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
If they want linux devices to be successful they need to stop marketing them as linux devices. Just make a great phone with a linux core, but stop harping on about the fact its a linux core because mainstream users dont care.
I don't think you need the mainstream users to make a Linux device commercially viable. Everyone that wants to support Linux / Free software should spend their money wisely.
Buying hardware with a proprietary OS installed while there are free options is a bad (long term) decision IMO. Seeing that someone like Linus Torvalds bought a MacBook Air 'because the screen was better' was really disappointing. I recently found out that some of the guys from Bad Voltage are owning iPhones.. wtf..

The Following User Says Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by t-b View Post
I don't think you need the mainstream users to make a Linux device commercially viable. Everyone that wants to support Linux / Free software should spend their money wisely.
Buying hardware with a proprietary OS installed while there are free options is a bad (long term) decision IMO. Seeing that someone like Linus Torvalds bought a MacBook Air 'because the screen was better' was really disappointing. I recently found out that some of the guys from Bad Voltage are owning iPhones.. wtf..
This stance overlooks the fact that some people have very specific needs not being addressed by the FOSS types that are obsessing on the things that they want.

The mainstream for the most part just don't care - they want to be able to conveniently share/communicate/do things that other people are doing as well. And by convenient, I mean easily done. And on a product that's socially acceptable and easy to use.

So what Linus has a MacBook Air? He can still program on it. So what Bad Voltage guys have iPhones? I bet they have significant others that also have iPhones and request to do Facetime often enough to where that's a selling point.

In the end, these are all tools. How you use it will invariably be slightly different than others.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
So people are supposed to put up with bad hardware because of FOSS fundamentalism?

It's bad enough we have to suffer with some of the awful FOSS software. :-P

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:

Tags
f*ck apple, f*ck google, f*ck microsoft, gnu telephony, gnu/linux, linux deploy