Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
not sure what the truth is regarding the tablet project and I guess We will never know. It's better to speculate since we simply have no clue where jolla missed the exit to tablet shipment?

I want a Jolla tablet because I want to see jolla as an honest company that delivers and help its customers and not only the other way around.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-12-07 at 18:11.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Imagine a 747 is sitting on a conveyor belt, as wide and long as a runway. The conveyor belt is designed to exactly match the speed of the wheels, moving in the opposite direction. Can the plane take off?
No, because there is no flow of air that would be able to lift the wings.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
No, because there is no flow of air that would be able to lift the wings.
But a jet's thrust pushes against the air, not the ground, so plane would still move forward. The wheels would be spinning way too fast though, so they'd blow out, causing the undercarriage to collapse and the plane to skid into the high velocity treadmill, destroying all the tablets onboard.

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Please fill in the blank:

I want a Jolla tablet because...

For me...

I want a Jolla tablet because when my wife hogs the nytimes I read the electronic version on our ipad - But I'd rather read it on a Jolla tablet.
I want a jolla tablet because.. I paid jolla some money about a year ago.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Honestly, it's more about you still being stuck in the past.

But if you want your statements to become an ongoing truth; I'm game. The thought that companies make decisions (and failures) based on how much income it will generate for them short-term and long-term always needs to be incorporated for one major reason - we matter only when our money is involved. Otherwise, they will close.

I picked my words carefully. It's only about being wrong or right. Absolutely nothing else is needed to be added to that sentiment.

Allow me to state this simply and literally (read: take every word literal). I'm human, liable to err, I do have my own opinions but I have no ego invested in these conversations and I acknowledge that I can be very wrong. Look at my past; when proven wrong, I have thanked those that have corrected me. It is how I learn.

Nothing else needs to be added by you to the above statement.

Then do so. Nobody is stopping you. We may form our own opinion as to why you'd do so. But in the end, nothing can argue with fact - well, you can argue facts but that's a foolish endeavor.

It's all about the ability to communicate and seem open to discussion. I've watched you, you just do not seem to be open to discussion; you're more susceptible to "I'm right, you're wrong" type of monologues. I personally prefer to avoid that type of person in real life; I have more power to avoid that type of person on the Internet (read: blocked user lists, never go back to that website/forum and call it a day for instance)

My self-confidence is rarely utilized here at TMO. So if you want to factor it in, that's all on you. We just differ in our approach to discussion and that shows.

What folks want to hear in this thread is perhaps threefold:
  • Jolla will ship the tablets soon.
  • Jolla has secured financial backing indefinitely and will improve their offerings to our collective liking.
  • The N900 is the best mobile computer ever created
Oh... and certain individuals are always right, we're all wrong, kowtow to their superiority.

Or something like that. Now... can we get back to discussing other things instead? Or if you want to continue down this personal path of trying to figure out why Person A has more thanks/dislikes than Person B, or some other alpha/beta look into somebody else's stance, hit me up via DM, email or otherwise.

Back to the subject at hand (at this moment) - the Jolla tablet, or better yet any other device that is not Google Android and Apple iOS based - tends to a device utilized for media consumption that might require a bigger screen. Later, it was utilized to include productivity - such as MS Office going mobile for instance. Now? Tablets are an entity but not one I've ever been sold on that we truly need. No use case lands solidly and exclusively in "tablet-land". Banking, surfing the web, watching Netflix - I can do that on my phone or my laptop for instance.

I could name more use cases - system admin (also from phone), server updates/deployment (also from phone), quick code editing, even ideating projects and creating assets can all be done from a mobile device like a phone and isn't exclusive to a tablet. Perhaps input (via stylus) lends itself to precision whereas finger input is rather imprecise.

Just a random thought whilst waiting on news from Jolla.
You see there are always two sides of the coin. And both are stuborn enough. I know it seems that it's always the opposite side. And believe me I'm not about being right, but to understand better and learn better. In argument I try to explain why I think so and expect someone to prove me wrong, I'm open for that opinion. that's why I try to have arguments on both sides. And by adding on my side I expect them to be proven wrong or by adding arguments from different point. See it as weight, where from mi side I start with almost full one and to change the side I need to empty it or to have huge weight from other side. It's interesting as well to try different directions to understand the problem and subject from different points. and it's not only in this thread. I'm that kind a person in real life (I call it more as "practical").

As about the truth and facts. It's not true anymore. I'm sorry to tell you, but era of goodworkers and quality are finished. It's era of sales and PR. Everything is product. And today media and information is one of the strongest weapons. People are building opinion on most of information they get. And same story you can tell in different versions. You can sell anything and people can buy it. it's not about a product anymore. It's about where you belong, where and what information you get. And it makes me sad actually.
P.S. South Park made great laugh about it this season. And no I didn't get this idea from there

Edit: Some food for thoughts on topic http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_l...tion_of_memory

Last edited by ZogG; 2015-12-07 at 20:51.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
But a jet's thrust pushes against the air, [...]
Not really. A jet engine is a "reaction engine". It propels the aircraft forward by expelling mass, which must result in a forward force on the aircraft, via Newton's third law. It would work just as well in space, if it carried an oxidizer along with the fuel (which would make it a rocket engine).

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
This answer could only come from an astronaut (erm ...om)!

But what would a propeller air plane do?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
I don't know but I know what the propeller on an aeroplane is for.
For cooling the pilot, of course!
Just watch how quickly he starts sweating when the propeller stops spinning.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on Aug 2014 @ England, UK
I'm sitting here feeling smug that I own a Jolla phone but I never ordered a Tablet. I smelt a rat when it came out on pre-order and I wanted to wait until the company started shipping them. But now it looks like they may never be able to ship the vast majority of units, leaving me without the pain, but equally without the potential gain if Jolla Oy gets funding this month.

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
This answer could only come from an astronaut (erm ...om)!

Strap me to the propeller tip,
feed me beans
and look out...
then you got mass expelling....
and your propellant...
endsormeans...iiiinnnn sspppaaaaaaccceee.....

hm.. I think this could be serious derailing I'm doing...or at least contributing to...
But I think that until some very official, very crystal clear official statements and transparent vocab. comes out of Jolla High Command as to exactly what is happening, going to happen, and who gets what...if anything...
then this whole thread is supposition.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2015-12-08 at 02:45.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund