Notices

i have been trying keepnote and have been having many error messages like this one
05/10/09, 10:37 AM: Error occurred while opening file with Text Editor.

program:

file: /media/mmc1/Documents/Books/new pageddghhjddr yygd hkjggfffgyuucgyjjkkk/page.html

error: [Errno 13] Permission denied
well what format does it read? can i use my saved notes within keepnote well thank for your efforts.
Edit; 1 can you fill in default helpers Application?
2. how do i keep my existing notes in keepnotes? copy paste my notes? notes cannot be opened with it formart incompartible?
3. some freezes when editing notes no notification

Last edited by Un27Pee; 2009-05-10 at 15:15.

Originally Posted by Un27Pee View Post
i have been trying keepnote and have been having many error messages like this one
05/10/09, 10:37 AM: Error occurred while opening file with Text Editor.

program:

file: /media/mmc1/Documents/Books/new pageddghhjddr yygd hkjggfffgyuucgyjjkkk/page.html

error: [Errno 13] Permission denied
well what format does it read? can i use my saved notes within keepnote well thank for your efforts.
Edit; 1 can you fill in default helpers Application?
2. how do i keep my existing notes in keepnotes? copy paste my notes? notes cannot be opened with it formart incompartible?
3. some freezes when editing notes no notification
It should be able to read any notes saved by itself. I have not experienced any errors like that; if there are specific steps to reproduce the problem, please post them. Otherwise, uninstall the current version, then install the new one (maemo2) if you haven't already.

Edit: OK, I found the error. If you have Leafpad installed, you can put "leafpad" (without quotes) in the KeepNote Options > Helper Applications > Text Editor field.

I'll look into making it work with the builtin applications.

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Last edited by BrentDC; 2009-05-10 at 17:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
I have notes writthen with the built in app so i have to copy and paste into keepnote so that it can save it so as to be compartible with it, can you do somethging to allow it to read them more formats.
is there any way to have two panel instead of three in the settings will keep testing.

T3 - IT 810
Confidence is hard to gain easy to loose impossible to regain, Pee

Originally Posted by Un27Pee View Post
I have notes writthen with the built in app so i have to copy and paste into keepnote so that it can save it so as to be compartible with it, can you do somethging to allow it to read them more formats.
is there any way to have two panel instead of three in the settings will keep testing.
1) Unfortunately, copy/paste is the best method of transfering. Since this is just a port, I will not be adding any *new* features (I will just adapt it to work better on these devices). Your best bet would be to contact the upstream developer to request the ability to import from other formats. (just Google keepnote to find the keepnote website).

As for the last question, I find dragging the panes all the way closed the best way to "get rid" of them (temporarily, anyways).

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Thanks for the port!

Some first thoughts...

Not important, but I used the maemo2 .deb and don't have an icon in App Mgr (i.e., in Extras) as I think you intended.

The Search All Notes function doesn't work for me, neither from the Menu nor from the Toolbar Icon. A dialog window pops up very briefly and disappears without giving me a chance to ask for anything.

I don't know much about this, but I would think that the file structure is such that even upstream we're not likely to get Import or Export. Every note is its own folder and the outline tree corresponds to folders within folders. I don't know how most apps like this work, but I've imagined something like a single file, or a small set number of files, with a database structure. Those strike me as easier to put it into comma-delimited form or some other form conducive to data import and export. If I'm right on this, then I don't think we're going to see any synchronization with online personal information managers, either.

On the Windows version, I can Search All Notes, but the Find in Page function doesn't work.

So while the app seems like it has a lot of potential, I'm reluctant to depend on it without any ability to import and export; and lacking the Search All Notes in maemo and the Find in Page in Windows makes it not something I'd be willing yet to put my notes into.

If you want me to play with it more, though, I'd be happy to as a sort of beta-tester for your port.

If you, Brent, were the creator of this little app, believe it or not, I'd have the sort of confidence in it that businesses have traditionally put in Microsoft! By which I mean, Microsoft had a habit of introducing crappy products but businesses adopted them anyway on the principle that eventually Microsoft would make them work. For me, Outlook is the prime example of that, since businesses deserted good PIMs for Outlook quite early on, even though it was universally recognized that the early Outlook releases sucked. You've done such a dynamite job on Quick Clip, that I'd believe that KeepNotes would get really good. But since you're only porting it, I'm not sure it will ever be really great on maemo.

You know, also, KeepNotes is actually very similar to khertan's (Benoit Hervier's) mNotes, which he developed from the ground up for maemo. mNotes is a little simpler, which I prefer. Unfortunately, it appears that khertan (Benoit) has abandoned development.

I don't know if mNotes is written in Python, but maybe you could take it over from him if it is a Python program and he's no longer interested. That post above shows at least what I think needs to be done with it.

Or, to beat an old drum, I bet it would be relatively easy for you to make something like QuickDex in Python and have it able to import and export (which would make Un27Pee, and me and uncounted others*, happy).

*I used to have an album called Phil Ochs' Greatest Hits, and on the back it exclaimed: "50 Phil Ochs Fans Can’t Be Wrong!"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
I just tried to install KeepNote on my N810-diablo-43-7
with tap+hold >download >open file >app.man. >install

Post #1 link 1 and link in Post #3 >> install file corrupted
Post #1 link 2 >> no handler for this type

Am I missing something ?

Originally Posted by KristianW View Post
I just tried to install KeepNote on my N810-diablo-43-7
with tap+hold >download >open file >app.man. >install

Post #1 link 1 and link in Post #3 >> install file corrupted
Post #1 link 2 >> no handler for this type

Am I missing something ?
Sorry about that, I don't know what happened. Last night I uploaded it to maemo-extras-devel, so please try installing it from there

Originally Posted by GeraldKo
Thanks for the port!

Some first thoughts...

Not important, but I used the maemo2 .deb and don't have an icon in App Mgr (i.e., in Extras) as I think you intended.
That's strange, I'll look into it.

The Search All Notes function doesn't work for me, neither from the Menu nor from the Toolbar Icon. A dialog window pops up very briefly and disappears without giving me a chance to ask for anything.

I never noticed that; but, yes, it appears that function just isn't implemented at all (no errors in the Terminal).

I don't know much about this, but I would think that the file structure is such that even upstream we're not likely to get Import or Export. Every note is its own folder and the outline tree corresponds to folders within folders. I don't know how most apps like this work, but I've imagined something like a single file, or a small set number of files, with a database structure. Those strike me as easier to put it into comma-delimited form or some other form conducive to data import and export. If I'm right on this, then I don't think we're going to see any synchronization with online personal information managers, either.
The hierarchical format isn't as complicated as it looks: in fact, the data itself is stored in HTML, so that it's completely cross-platform.

If the upstream developer(s) cease supporting this application, you won't "lose" anything because the format is universal (try opening a note in the browser).

On the Windows version, I can Search All Notes, but the Find in Page function doesn't work.
I think KeepNote is a beta application

So while the app seems like it has a lot of potential, I'm reluctant to depend on it without any ability to import and export; and lacking the Search All Notes in maemo and the Find in Page in Windows makes it not something I'd be willing yet to put my notes into.

If you want me to play with it more, though, I'd be happy to as a sort of beta-tester for your port.
See my comment above concerning the format. If you like the application, feel free to use it, but don't feel obligated to test it!

If you, Brent, were the creator of this little app, believe it or not, I'd have the sort of confidence in it that businesses have traditionally put in Microsoft! By which I mean, Microsoft had a habit of introducing crappy products but businesses adopted them anyway on the principle that eventually Microsoft would make them work. For me, Outlook is the prime example of that, since businesses deserted good PIMs for Outlook quite early on, even though it was universally recognized that the early Outlook releases sucked. You've done such a dynamite job on Quick Clip, that I'd believe that KeepNotes would get really good. But since you're only porting it, I'm not sure it will ever be really great on maemo.
Thank you for the compliments GeraldKo, you're too kind!

You know, also, KeepNotes is actually very similar to khertan's (Benoit Hervier's) mNotes, which he developed from the ground up for maemo. mNotes is a little simpler, which I prefer. Unfortunately, it appears that khertan (Benoit) has abandoned development.

I don't know if mNotes is written in Python, but maybe you could take it over from him if it is a Python program and he's no longer interested. That post above shows at least what I think needs to be done with it.

Or, to beat an old drum, I bet it would be relatively easy for you to make something like QuickDex in Python and have it able to import and export (which would make Un27Pee, and me and uncounted others*, happy).

*I used to have an album called Phil Ochs' Greatest Hits, and on the back it exclaimed: "50 Phil Ochs Fans Can’t Be Wrong!"
Right now I'm not looking to do a whole lot of ground-up development, but more looking to continue to maintain Quick Clip and port pre-existing Python applications. I kind of want to "get my feet wet" in other areas of Programming; i.e. porting, compiling (C Programs), etc.

Thank you very much for the comments!

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ NW Ark, US
I just wanted to come and thank the port author for bringing this cool little program to my N810! I am such a nub with Linux that I don't feel like I have anything useful to tell you in terms of technical issues. But I do really appreciate that you've made the port and I hope you'll continue to work on it.

I understand about the import/export feature. It would be nice if there was a single file to wrap up into a nice, single file, which you could then easily copy between the N8x and desktop and back again. Although having many separate html files isn't bad, and allows you to grab and edit just what you need. I wonder if the program author would be able to make it export all into a single file, though, just to cut down on the hassle of moving several files back and forth between machines.

Right now I'm using it to sort through some of my notes from class and it's SO much easier to whip out my N810 and make a selection of notes to study, rather than flip back and forth through several pages of scribbly scrawl in my old school notebooks. I use down time between classes to organize this stuff. Plus, the text editor is just about everything I've been wanting in a text editor, so thanks again for working on this.

Btw, my friend is using the Windows version, and a Google search led me here.

Tags
keepnote, notes, python