Notices

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Wichita, KS
I'm trying to develop my thumb-tapping skills to minimize stylus usage with my N800. i get frustrated when i "click" on a link in MicroB, hear the click sound, and all i get is an outline drawn around the link or the link text turns red. I think it's indicating that the cursor is positioned over the link. is that correct? why does it do that? is it because i've tapped too gently? is this supposed to be a practical function of the software? press lightly if you just want to position the cursor over a link? and can i turn it off?

BTW: i do not experience this problem outside of MicroB. i have become quite proficient at pressing just hard enough to choose "OK" or "cancel" or bring up the thumb keyboard. this problem is specific to the browser.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
I can assure you it is not a problem confined to thumb-tapping. I've experienced this when using the stylus, as well.

Originally Posted by jmjanzen View Post
I'm trying to develop my thumb-tapping skills to minimize stylus usage with my N800. i get frustrated when i "click" on a link in MicroB, hear the click sound, and all i get is an outline drawn around the link or the link text turns red.
Are you still running Chinook? I think you're hitting a touchscreen sensitivity problem, which may have been fixed in Diablo. I have the same problem, but I didn't have it in the Diablo release, though I had to switch back to Chinook because of other issues.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
I've found it does this for most links. A repeated tap on the "highlighted" box will select the link. Pretty annoying, especially when clicking and dragging to scroll sometimes activates a link without a double tap

@Traecer:
i'm using the latest diablo release (w/SSU 4.2008.36-5).

should this be submitted to nokia as a bug?

This occurs when you tap the link, then intentionally or not, drag the pressing object (finger or stylus) off the link then release it.

I imagine this is easier to unintentionally do with your thumb.

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Ah, yes, that makes sense. so it's not that i'm pressing too lightly...
i probably need to press-and-release more like a woodpecker and less like a pianist.

Last edited by jmjanzen; 2008-10-22 at 19:32.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
hmm.

I play piano/keyboards as well (also, guitar, bass, trombone, and sax)... maybe that's my problem. although, I don't think I've ever tried to play piano with a stylus...

Just imagine the precision with which you could play if you did. You'd never accidentally hit 2 keys at the same time! What a great invention, the stylus...

Originally Posted by jmjanzen View Post
Just imagine the precision with which you could play if you did. You'd never accidentally hit 2 keys at the same time! What a great invention, the stylus...
Reading that I got a funny picture in my head of Edward Stylushands trying to play chopsticks on the piano.

Tags
link, microb, outline, red, thumb