Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Not quite... The kernel was a unix kernel and was bought - not open source.. and the entire filesystem structure was completely changed. Nothing even looks remotely right when you drop to a terminal in Mac OS X. They didn't follow the FHS at all so far as I can tell..
from what i recall, the kernel is a bsd derivative, under the equivalent license.

as for the file system, i would suspect that beyond the basics needed to get the kernel and initial user space booted, it wil have more in common with mac os of old then unix. that is, dirs that looks like single files in finder, specific dirs where the user can just drop those "app dirs" so that the DE can find them and use them, and so on.

think of it as linux with rox on top...

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by doubledee View Post
Ha! Outed!

Penguinbait is John Titor!!!!!

I disavow all knowledge of any such person!
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
as for the file system, i would suspect that beyond the basics needed to get the kernel and initial user space booted, it wil have more in common with mac os of old then unix.
Actually, it's more like NeXTstep, which is Unix-based and predates the FHS.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tso View Post
from what i recall, the kernel is a bsd derivative, under the equivalent license.
Looks like you were right in it was open "Darwin" derivative at some point.. but:
Apple closes down OS X.

ETA:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Actually, it's more like NeXTstep, which is Unix-based and predates the FHS.
Very interesting... thanks for the info.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2008-10-22 at 18:00.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Looks like you were right in it was open "Darwin" derivative at some point.. but:
Apple closes down OS X.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDarwin

and i keep forgetting about nextstep, that company and os that jobs got going in his years away from apple.

i still think i have a nextstep tv add somewhere where jobs shows of the email apps ability to have the file icons of attachments be located inline with the text itself.

he also talked about the RAD toolbox that was available with the os...

all in all, that add reminded me of the reality distortion field, as his enthusiasm for the product was contagious...

Last edited by tso; 2008-10-22 at 18:04.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
I suspect they won't get squeezed out. Nettops will be used as travel laptops. Smartphones as well, but for lighter purposes. This includes phoning, but not only that. I suspect Nokia realizes this, and I suspect the smartphone will be merged with the PDA and Internet Tablet. That doesn't mean the NIT dies or gets 'squeezed out'; it'll just be able to do more.
Sorry, but I believe you made my point, If the NIT changes to add smartphone capabilties, it is, well, a smartphone by definition. At that point, we're talking NIT/Maemo/Phone vs. iPhone vs. Windows Mobile, vs. Android vs. PalmOS

May the best platform win.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I think OpenDarwin is a perfect example of how a big company can't release some rough, basic code as "open source," tell the community to fix it up and get it useable, and then not provide much help beyond that.

From the OpenDarwin wiki article mentioned above, the OpenDarwin maintainers give reasons why they were shutting down the project:

Availability of sources, interaction with Apple representatives, difficulty building and tracking sources, and a lack of interest from the community have all contributed to this.
Please, Nokia, don't go there!

Originally Posted by lny98 View Post
I suspect that the N800 platform is going to be squeezed out by netbooks on one end, and smart phones (iPhone/Android) on the other. It may retain some market share as a swiss army knife (aka Linux) for the tech elite, but not for the regular gadgetter let alone end user (student, business person).
In the long term I think you're right. I believe ultimately Nokia's plans for Maemo are to make it their flagship mobile phone OS (or simply to have internet tablets/smart phones merged), while keeping Symbian around for the cheaper "feature" phones. I think all the MID-type devices (including the tablets) probably will be squeezed out in the long-term.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Traecer View Post
I think all the MID-type devices (including the tablets) probably will be squeezed out in the long-term.
I think "squeezed out" is the wrong term; I think handheld computers will, by necessity, include text / voice / video communication capabilities, but it is more a case of the "mobile phone" category disappearing, rather than the "mobile computer" disappearing.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
The form factor nokia have used is both proven and practical.
What I see happening is more integration and hopefully closer ties with desktop/cloud applications so you can continue what you were doing whilst on the go.
Much like how I take my compiler and source with me, at a pinch I can fire up pygtkeditor and code, but then when I'm near any large format device I can stretch out and continue what I was doing.