As a slightly related topic, would it be possible to just create an icon that launched a command line script in a terminal. There could be a whole load of useful ones for "terminal afraid" users. simple ones like top, df, tracker re-index, kill browserd etc

Originally Posted by Pyrran View Post
When I've had to use kill on various linux boxes from time to time, i always use
Code:
/kill -9 pid
where pid is the process identifier as listed in the output from the 'top' command.

More info on the kill command here.
kill should always be tried before kill -9. kill gives the application the chance to clean up after itself before exiting.

At the application level, kill -9 is like pulling the battery or power cord on a computer instead of shutting it down.

After a kill command, repeat it or otherwise check that the process really is dead. If not, then kill -9 is required.

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Is there a flash blocker add-on for the MicroB browser? I would like to disable flash for all sites by default and only enable for certain sites (like youtube.com, etc)

Otherwise you could end up browsing on a site which has a flash advertisement without realizing it and have it drain the battery.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Thanks!

Is adding this type of function as part of the UI on the road-map?

Not just games can cause this. I have noticed that any Flash content on a page can cause the browser to stay active and drain the battery.

Seems like a bug / weak design of the OS and browser. I think that a lot of the random problems with battery and performance people are having is due to Flash and the OS's inability to kill the process when closing the browser.
It's a bug/weak design in Flash. It can do the same thing on desktop, and does. I regularly go in and kill the plugin process on my desktop linux distro or restart firefox in windows. If you really want to see this, try using Chrome, which gives you a finer comb to identify offending parties. You will find that you have to kill the shockwave process every now and then or your flash game tabs will get sluggish as the bloated monstrosites that Adobe has unleashed on the world leak resources.

I don't think a GUI for kill is a good idea. People not comfortable with a command line can reboot, just like they do in windows. That's safer than handing them a shotgun and dropping them into psdoom.

Edit: However, a shutdown script for the browser to kill flash processes or an icon for a script to do the same is a good idea. Flash bogs down my laptop enough over time that i can imagine it really could chew up a phone battery.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2009-12-11 at 17:47.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by j.s View Post
kill should always be tried before kill -9. kill gives the application the chance to clean up after itself before exiting.

At the application level, kill -9 is like pulling the battery or power cord on a computer instead of shutting it down.

After a kill command, repeat it or otherwise check that the process really is dead. If not, then kill -9 is required.
Yes - that's a good point and sound advice - leaving out the -9 (i.e. just kill pid) just sends "please stop any running threads, release allocated memory and exit gracefully" type request to the running process, which should in theory be the end of the matter. Sometimes of course it isn't

Personally I only use -9 to forcefully stop any running tasks that have stalled or refusing to respond to the "normal" /kill command for any reason, which sadly is all too frequently on some of the systems I look after.

So anyone new to linux and the terminal/command line please try /kill pid first, then check top again to see if the offending process is gone, if not then add the -9 switch as Bruce and j.s suggests.

Note also that it is much safer to explicitly say which process you wish to remove by using the pid, rather than the process name, e.g. browserd.

@hopbeat: thx

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ italy
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
...There are instances of browserd that run as part of Maemo...
Which are these parts Bruce? Just curiosity.

@Flandry: how can I kill flash process on my ubuntu?
I opened a terminal and I typed: ps aux|grep flash
but nothing appeared!
thank you

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Install HideUserAgent.

Whenever it is set or removed it kills browserd I believe.
If this is the case and you don't care to change the user agent then simply add the MicroB user agent as the custom one so no matter what you do the user agent stays the same but you killed browserd... savvy?

SLN member # 009

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by maemo.it View Post
@Flandry: how can I kill flash process on my ubuntu?
I opened a terminal and I typed: ps aux|grep flash
but nothing appeared!
thank you
I think it shows up as "npviewer.bin" in top.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ italy
@Flandry:
I didn't find this process in "top" neither in "ps aux|grep npviewer.bin".

Are you sure adobe flash and my browser (firefox) are 2 different processes so I can kill flash keeping ff?

ps aux and kill -9 worked. I checked (they do work, but I'm just kidding)

:P

it Does need a GUI version, that'd make life a lot simpler, and better for the non-techies too.

Tags
battery drain, bug, flash, fremantle, game, maemo, maemo 5, maemo browser, plug-in, warning, web browser, zombie