Active Topics

I am attempting to access my PC's internet connection through the Bluetooth connection on my n810. I am following the direction in the wiki, found here.

Specifically, I am following these steps:
Dial Up Network (DUN) connection

Bluetooth PAN offers slightly faster connection speeds than DUN, but DUN does not require having to install any extra software packages. This method also works for software versions older than OS2008.
[edit] Nokia N800 or later

1. Goto 'Menu → Tools → Control Panel → Bluetooth → Devices → New'
2. You should see your phone or PC, pair up with it. I recommend using a 10-digit or greater pairing code
3. Set it as a "Trusted Device"... I haven't tried it the other way yet
4. Goto 'Connectivity → Connections → New' in the Control Panel
5. Choose GPRS → Next
6. Leave Access Point and Tel# at defaults, leave user/pass blank → Next
7. IF you chose not to specify the remote IP on the PC side (see above) THEN choose Advanced → IP Addresses and put in an appropriate IP and DNS servers.
8. Goto 'Phone' in the Control Panel
9. Choose your new Device from step 2. It is now 'selected'. If you don't do this then it won't show up in the Connection Manager.
My problem arises when I attempt to follow step number 8. Even though I have successfully paired my n810 with my PC's Bluetooth, the PC is not listed as a device Control Panel's 'Phone" menu options.

Could the problem be that my n810 recognizes the PC as a computer and not as a phone? The directions indicate that this process should work for both phones and PCs.

Can anyone shed some light on my problem?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Why even bother with this? BT 2.0 which is what the tablet uses, is maybe a third as fast as the wireless itself. 1mbps vs 3.5mbps avg sure doesn't sound like all that great a thing.

Wireless isn't available at my current location.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Why even bother with this? BT 2.0 which is what the tablet uses, is maybe a third as fast as the wireless itself. 1mbps vs 3.5mbps avg sure doesn't sound like all that great a thing.
The biggest bottleneck will be the wan connection anyways.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Apparantly it is NOT as benign as it looks, Mathew got it done here, http://blog.enterpriselab.ch/zdweber...bluetooth-pan/. He is the only one in the MilkyWayGalaxy succeeded. The trick apparantly is to get the Nokia acknowledge the PC as a phone. Post back if you succeed. Mind you, that maybe pre-Diablo, post-Diablo you may need to PM pycage.

TIA,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-05-10 at 23:59.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Quickest guess there is to find a way for the pc to id itself as a phone. Not sure if its possible with the default windows support.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post: