Notices

Posts: 533 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Italy
I know, but normally they limit the headphones' hardware, not a volume to 88/100.
And the N900 has not a high output, my Nokia 5800 has a higher volume, and also the difference between 88 and 100 isn't really "big"...

The Following User Says Thank You to sakya For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
Oh man it is loud... the N900 sure have some juice.

The Following User Says Thank You to esthreel For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot man! the difference is noticeable I had to put the volume down when listening to Bruce Springsteens Dancing in the dark. lol

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
Gotta try it, definitely what i wanted! changing from 88 to 100 manually in alsamixer isn't really practical!

With lots of sound hardware and drivers, I've noticed setting volume sliders to 100% creates sonic harshness and distortion in both output and recorded sound. This leads to a habit of turning the volume slider to almost full volume, but never all the way. Turns out it's unnecessary with a stock N900.

Has anyone noticed distortion when volumecontroldaemon pegs the mixer at 99% or 100%?

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
Originally Posted by wumpwoast View Post
Has anyone noticed distortion when volumecontroldaemon pegs the mixer at 99% or 100%?
nope, it sounds frickin awesome to me, i never play through the speakers at full volume theres some quite drastic distortion, but through the headphones i love the sound of my n900.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
sakya ... downloaded your new version .... it works like a dream!!!

Amazing that you came up with this working version expecially when in my post http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65802 the following person said it was not possible in no uncertain terms!!
SavageD 8th Jan 2011 , 12:16
Posts: 384 | Thanked: 275 times | Joined on Jan 2010 Report This | #4
I would tell you try my script, but that would be redundant...
There is no possible way to fix it unless nokia does so themselves. It's as simple as that.
A script like that won't work. The n900 compensates for different aspects of the audio system (speakers, headphones, earphones).
The reason it drops to 48% is because alsa mixer is set to place 48% of it's maximum volume 'value' to the earphones which in turn affects the headsets...You can't create a script to counteract this problem because just about anything on the n900 resets the value back to it's default (48%). These include screen dimming, blanking, and button pressing...
You would also notice that if you reflash the n900, the file which hold custom values for users (asound.state) is missing this is simply because the n900 does not use the file asound.state.
In short, Nokia has to fix the problem themselves because the area you would need to access in order to fix that (%) problem is closed source.
so Sakya 'I salute you'
Attached Images

after installing and restarting i got :

1482 root 11368 S /usr/sbin/volumecontroldaemon
1691 user 2088 S grep volumecontroldaemon
is it working ?

Posts: 533 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Italy
@AgogData: Yes, the daemon is running.

The Following User Says Thank You to sakya For This Useful Post:
Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by AgogData View Post
after installing and restarting i got :

1482 root 11368 S /usr/sbin/volumecontroldaemon
1691 user 2088 S grep volumecontroldaemon
is it working ?
open xterm and type:
alsamixer -c0
it will open a volume kind of thing - then play media player and see what value is shown for the first colum (titled Headphon) - if it says 100% then it is working!

*edit*
"or what sakya said"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fraaaaanka For This Useful Post: