Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
So I doubt if the next OS wil radically improve things.
Actually, Fremantle is slated to have quite a bit of UI work.

For whatever it's worth, it's probably not worth your time hacking in Matchbox as Nokia is moving to X.org for Fremantle, so who knows what might be happening with the WM.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-08-25 at 16:57.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
But I would have reservation to go to that version after more than 398+ posts and http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=23132
****! and the Diablo thread has more than 478+ posts!!! I WOULDN'T UPGRADE TO THAT, EITHER!!!! http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=21233

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post

For whatever it's worth, it's probably not worth your time hacking in Matchbox as Nokia is moving to X.org for Fremantle.
hmm, lets just hope that nokia dont turn this into a remake of ms longhorn (we all know how that ended).

As for Diablo, yes, it's not one to go to yet. I've seen way too many problems with it, and downgraded from it myself after suffering through many of those. As for the UI stuff, I can help with that as I'm a part time UI designer. I can't code in the languages required to build the UI's, but I can help with the actual design and layout elements, as that's where I typically focus most of my time.

As for good UI designs, I like this one for the wireless icon in the status bar:
http://tabletui.wordpress.com/2008/0...ready-to-surf/

That example really is nice, and aside from a few minor changes to the icons (for easier viewing of the variations), I think it's a good idea. I also suggested a few other UI improvements to the wireless interface in another thread. If someone wants me to, I can do some mockups so you can see the changes I've suggested.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post

For whatever it's worth, it's probably not worth your time hacking in Matchbox as Nokia is moving to X.org for Fremantle, so who knows what might be happening with the WM.
If anything, Nokia has stated future iterations of the OS will be even more finger "friendly" (i.e., more crappier, according to the OP). Then again, you knew that already, so why not just say it?

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by gene.cash View Post
Can I get rid of the useless and stupid two default contact/web icons?

I could write a better GUI blind drunk with half a bottle of Tequila left. Where's the sources to Nokia's version of Matchbox?
It won't solve all your problems, but Personal Menu will solve some of the issues you speak of (you will still have huge icons).

If you have a better GUI, I know I'd like to see it (seriously, I am an old Newton guy, and it was way slow, but had a great UI).

Craig...

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
If anything, Nokia has stated future iterations of the OS will be even more finger "friendly" (i.e., more crappier, according to the OP). Then again, you knew that already, so why not just say it?
Yes, it will be much more finger friendly than the OS2008.

The Following User Says Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Yes, it will be much more finger friendly than the OS2008.
bad news.

after all, the "finger friendliness" was what started this thread IIRC.

Originally Posted by cvmiller View Post
It won't solve all your problems, but Personal Menu will solve some of the issues you speak of (you will still have huge icons).

Craig...
No big icons here with Personal Menu...

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
bad news.

after all, the "finger friendliness" was what started this thread IIRC.
Yes, I wonder why Nokia thinks that a "finger friendly" UI must be "stylus and space unfriendly".

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to maba For This Useful Post:

Tags
stuff nokia should read, user interface, whining