Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
A means to lock the dang applets in place on the "Home" screen.
They just forgot to mention it in the change logs. It's a new game called "Home Screen Shuffle." It's fun; I play it all the time. I have a new technique where I just rub the screen on my shirt and see where everything lands. Maybe we can start a new thread and share screen shots.

There's a hack done by (qwerty12 I think?) that hacks hildon to give a lock applet setting. But you have to retoggle it everytime you reboot the system.

Edit: Qole didn't do it!

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2009-04-24 at 15:10.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Not done by me!

You're probably getting me confused with that child prodigy, qwerty12, or maybe some other hacker around here, who is more substance and less show than me Abracadabra! <waves hands impressively>.

I notice Mer has the lock applet setting. I'm looking forward to that coming soon to my desktop...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
They just forgot to mention it in the change logs. It's a new game called "Home Screen Shuffle." It's fun; I play it all the time. I have a new technique where I just rub the screen on my shirt and see where everything lands. Maybe we can start a new thread and share screen shots.
I thought someone would jump in and correct me by calling it a feature.

Originally Posted by The Qole
I notice Mer has the lock applet setting. I'm looking forward to that coming soon to my desktop...
Dang! Maybe they should keep this "feature" in Maemo 5, eh?
That way we could use it with the new device's accelerometer and be able to "Screen Shuffle" just by shakin' it.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-04-24 at 11:14.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by TheGogmagog View Post
offline voice recognition would be nice, but as mentioned would be limited by processor. By shunting the tough work to google's servers... not so much of a limitation. Makes me wonder what other processor heavy apps could share the load elsewhere. Everything comes to mind invoves video, and with my experience with VNC that still wouldn't work out right.
Given that it was perfectly possible to do voice recognition on a Pentium 90 with 64 MB of RAM more than 10 years ago, I find the argument that voice recognition would require more processing power than even the humble 770 can provide a bit suspicious. Of course, when IBM provided voice recognition with OS/2 Warp 4.0, they did deliver a well-coded piece of software. OTOH, voice recognition without intelligent voice navigation or even a Natural Language User Interface is just another input method -- and one with some annoying traits to boot.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
What's left to do? Be a more commercial success...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
What's left to do? Be a more commercial success...
That's the plan with Fremantle. . . .

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Not done by me!
Ditto :P

The patch is by Rafi Rubin - I just built a version with another patch to enable Applications through x11vnc (again, patch not by me )

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
...at the number 2 spot for me would be:

A Maemo@Home desktop PC application with Linux and WinXP versions. The app would recognize when the NIT is connected via USB and will launch auto-magic like if so configured.

Upon launch it would present 5 options:

1. Browse MMC's

2. Check for and install all selected updates in a batch.

3. Back-up/restore to/from the desktop PC all selected apps, settings, files, or directories. Check against and prompt for incremental updates of an existing stored back-up

4. Connect to a Nokia store and browse, download, and install new software keeping a copy on the desktop PC. Allow loading and unloading copies of previous downloaded apps and themes to and from the PC and the NIT.

5. Operate the NIT from the desktop PC via a built in emulator.

(BTW, I also once dreamed I saw the silver spaceship flying in the yellow haze of the sun...)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
That's the plan with Fremantle. . . .
We'll see.