Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hey, welcome back Frankowitz.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Frankowitz View Post
Did you consider using it as a paper weight?
Does anybody else find it absolutely bizarre the number of people we get around here that just can't move on?

I mean, damn, Nokia must really have something on their hands if it can generate so much interest for people that ostensibly hate the tablets.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Does anybody else find it absolutely bizarre the number of people we get around here that just can't move on?

I mean, damn, Nokia must really have something on their hands if it can generate so much interest for people that ostensibly hate the tablets.
heh, i think its more that they have no better source of amusement. apple bashing is to mainstream these days

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think that Nokia should note the number of people associated with this site who have obviously bought Netbooks and be aware that most of that money could have flowed to Nokia if it could have devised a product they wanted to buy.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
...the number of people associated with this site who have obviously bought Netbooks...
...and then, bizarrely, kept hanging around here for some reason...

Perhaps we should call it the Karel Jansens syndrome?

But at least he still owns a couple tablets, right?

Last edited by qole; 2008-11-05 at 23:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
The OS doesn't really matter, but I find that spreadsheets, word processing, and most other apps that I use every day just don't work on the tablet. It's bad enough using the small screen, but input is a joke. It's just not possible for me to do it efficiently and quickly enough to make it worthwhile. Without a real keyboard, the device just isn't practical for my use. A touchscreen is fine for a PDA, but the NIT is obviously not a PDA. I realize there are NIT zealots who use them for everything, but it just doesn't work for me.
As a standalone "This is my only computer" I agree.
But -
With AbiWord I can keep extensive Word documentation in my pocket and update with small notes easily when needed.

With Gnumeric I can easily keep large single sheet spreadsheets in my pocket and update, modify etc.

Yesterday I had a small spreadsheet of about 50 computers we are getting rid of. I just walked in to the storage area where they were and updated/corrected bar codes, sn's quantities etc,

I produce the final, check it twice, and email, then drop my camera, GPS, word processor, encrypted password holder, email device, mp3 player, net surfing machine back in my shirt pocket with my glasses, sticky notes, and a couple of pens.

Everybody else either walks around with paper and transcribes (and introduces mistakes) then emails. Or they have to carry a laptop to the storage area.

Then when someone has a question about the spreadsheet created they have to dig it out or go to a computer. I just turn my music off and fire off Gnumeric and I have the answer.

My way seems more efficient.

Yes the small screen is a pain - we need a flexible roll out unit, and the keyboard could be better, but having a computer in my pocket that's the size of a reading glass case and runs for many hours is well worth it to me.
PLEASE use the Wiki

The Following User Says Thank You to gemniii42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
...spreadsheets...
Good to see you again, sgosnell, :-)

I do data entry on spreadsheet 5 to 10 times a day. YES, 5 to 10 times a day, everyday, and of course today too

Ironically spreadsheet is what got me interested in the tablet in the very 1st place. I was using winCE, a Dell Axim which is still sitting at the table top corner now, the screen real estate is so small, that even with the 'real' M$ excel, I see only 3 columns and 7 rows. Yah, you have excel, but it is pretty much useless because of the small screen real estate/resolution, kind of like using spreadsheet on a cell phone, then I came across 770 with numeric ............................

My point, just like everything in life, large and small is relative.

I do agree with you about data entry on the tablet is not ideal. However, the tradeoff is you do not have to hold onto a thing most of the time, you can leave the tablet in a pocket whereas eeePC cannot. Of course, if the only choice is a large laptop vs eeePC, I would take a eeePC too.

I have tried to tuck along a BT keyboard for the tablet....nay, after only 1 day, I gave up, poking/handwriting on the tablet is quite ok if the alternative is to carry an extra object all day. I also tried VNC at some point, but the VNC data entry has problem with capitalizing the letters 'at will'.

I tuck out my eeePC only when I am in a car, because I know there is enough space and unlimited supply of battery. Otherwise, on the street, in airport, in restaurant, waiting in line, almost everywhere I go, I use the tablet because of the form factor AND battery life

bun

Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
... about 50 computers we are getting rid of....
Are they ibm thinkpads? 560s? 600s? how do you get rid of them? If they need a warm, sweet, loving home, you are looking at one :-)

bun

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Sioux Falls SD
Hey Bun,
I have 3 or 4 frankenstiened Pentium 3's if you are looking to adopt

Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
...Yes the small screen is a pain - we need a flexible roll out unit...
Did we talk about that, the small screen, in the past? I think the n900 is equipped with a projector like function, one can project on the wall to read the spread sheet or WorldTV99, something like that. I am pretty sure i read it somewhere at the itT forum ....

bun