Active Topics

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
there seems to be a new handset development phone at maemo.com
based on intel chipset, I hope it is not nokias new flagship... but it could be so cause it name is Ncdk (or maybe its a tablet? who knows) Icdk is the Ava one...

Atleast I havent seen Ncdk before? anyone who knows about it?

http://qa-reports.meego.com/1.2/
Well it is definitely not the n900,
it has a
MAGNETOMETER

2010-12-20 00:00:00;1.2;core;basic feature testing;ncdk;Core Test Report: Ncdk Basic feature testing 2010-12-20;Sensor framework;Read data from Magnetometer;

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Which can be used for non-touch gestures and digital compasses, they're actually in a wide variety of phones nowadays.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
there seems to be a new handset development phone at maemo.com
based on intel chipset, I hope it is not nokias new flagship... but it could be so cause it name is Ncdk (or maybe its a tablet? who knows) Icdk is the Ava one...

Atleast I havent seen Ncdk before? anyone who knows about it?

http://qa-reports.meego.com/1.2/
"cdk" usually stands for development kit, so I wouldn't read too much into it. Even the Lenovo ideapads have been seen as target for Handset ('netbook' images for handset).

Also, keep in mind that everything meego.com isn't Nokia. We have OMAP4 pandaboards on there too and that's a community-oriented piece of hardware.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
The best part? It's only 361 days left. Stay tuned!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
I thought this might help some people:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue-in-cheek

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gk@Pgqr* For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
all this discussion about meego reminds me.

I guess we all who like openess with n900 will be dissapointed when actually nokia release a meego based phone.

I dont think it will be open geektoy like n900 is. some examples:

* meegokernel has no native support for mount linux nfs (network sharing).

* I dont think we can "root" the phone as easy as in the case of n900

* meego has more stricly policys what should be included in meego than maemo did. this is sometimes good sometimes bad. bad when we have to compile wifi broadcom drivers ourself in netbook edition as an example. instead of just enable some external nonoss repository.

* another example: I guess we have to tweek alot more to get mplayer and all codecs working in meego. in maemo we just do apt-get install mplayer codecs or similar. will nokia allow us to use external repositorys for this? can we be sure about that now when Jaaksi most open minded leader at nokia has leaved the ship.

By this I dont say meego/qt is closed but we cant be sure enduser hw based on meego is that open as the case of maemo.

so stick with n900 and wait and see. there will come more fun too our beloved n900 before Nokia release anything at all.
I had no problem installing codecs in MeeGo netbook, I just added the relevent repos. Yes, the broadcom drivers were a pain, but MeeGo 1.1 is not intended as a release candidate, so there hasn't been the concentration on Non OS drivers yet. As for rooting it, Terminal is listed in the available apps, click and off you go. Heck, I found MeeGo easier to do that stuff with than n900. MeeGo got this average bear a lot more competent with terminal than ever Maemo did.

MeeGo is intended to be available to a range of HW manufacturers, and how open they choose to make their drivers etc will be up to them. I doubt Nokia will be backtracking from their present position any time soon, with the possible exception of including some sort of user mode that supports DRM.

Hopefully we'll be able to move beyond speculation before the middle of the year.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
360!!!!!!!

But didn't they mention something about first Nokia MeeGo device coming around october?

I think it sounds very reasonable, becuase they still have a lot to go.

There is no way it can be released before that.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by eikido View Post
But didn't they mention something about first Nokia MeeGo device coming around october?

I think it sounds very reasonable, becuase they still have a lot to go.

There is no way it can be released before that.
yea October 2010 that was meant to be.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
yea October 2010 that was meant to be.
How much you wanna bet the delays are due to Nokia taking the open-source MeeGo, locking everything down that they can and figuring out how they can spin it as presenting us with even broader set of DELIGHTFULLY closed-source, DRM-laden crap? Even better if the delay is because they wanted to maintain the status-quo with closed-minded software forced on you right from the firmware and GOD-HELP-YOU if you try to get upgrades from Nokia's images in the future if you did replace closed-source apps with open ones. :P

Yanno... the Maemo way... in MeeGo.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Tags
best of 2011, douchebaggery, douchethread, fud fud fap fap, how to quote, i need drugs, wait for meego!, what is n9?, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz