We can say N900 is a great Phone, but as you know from the Q3 of 2010, a lot of powerful mobiles been released and by 2011 we will face completely different phase of phones in terms of: technology & speed.

N900 would become perfect device if Nokia didn't ignore it. Now we r waiting for PR1.3, but nothing special about it . It is going to be bugs fixes. well for the past months we were adapting these bugs & everything is normal.

Cos as the time comes, N900 will be no match compared to new coming devices.

The truth is: maemo Group are doing fantastic & wonderful efforts in keeping the maemo survives, but 1 hand doesn't clap.

So hope one day a blessing will come to N900 .

Regards

I did not buy the final boxed n900 available in my district yesterday.
That honor goes to the people who waited in line behind me.
The stores here are all sold out and no more stock is coming for the n900.
There are no more and I gather Nokia is no longer shipping them.

If you want a new unit you should probably search it out and buy it now
because soon enough there will no more new n900s to be had
anywhere.

A debugged Meego in your n900 is coming.
some day.
not today.

Today we have Maemo and all the learning curve for that under our feet and
stretching off into the distance behind us and immediately in our face.
The Meego learning curve is merely a vague concept at this point,
it is not fielded anywhere of any consequence,
there exist no beta testing hardware compatibility groups.

How many months will the meego learning curve consume before,
given it reaches the "ready to eat" stage to the point where apps begin to actually get ported or developed ?
Hint - the answer is measured in financial quarters.

There is no such thing as an N9 - not in this universe.
It does not exist.
Maybe someday it will exist, but holding your breath is pointless.

And I have already looked at the alternatives
and there are exactly zero alternatives until and unless there
is ever a way to hack something real onto some Android hardware.

Ain't gonna happen, given
Googles REMOVE_ASSET and INSTALL_ASSET 'dark side' behaviour
coupled with the bizarre and constantly changing backflips needed to jailbreak Android units.

The bottom Line:
The n900 is the last phone you can actually own with a real
configurable operating system you can control.

That Apple product you buy is under the direct control of Apple.
The software you install on Android is subject to whether or not
Google wakes up one morning and decides to wipe your handset.
Nokia, following the twisted lead of Apple and Android
has also demonstrated its desire and ability
to remotely detonate the products it sells

The n900 is not a unit for the great unwashed masses,
but more for those of us who want something we can actually control.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Last edited by theonelaw; 2010-10-23 at 08:53. Reason: Added the remote wipe leads

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Indonesia
Originally Posted by racky View Post
you shouldn't come here to ask. Just like you don't go to an iphone forum to ask people whether an iphone is the best product, of course people will say yes.
I have done some research on iphone4... Compared it to n900... It waw so ultimate choice.. Then PERSONALLY I choose n900 as my top list. U might sick with my choicee.. But u have ur own opinion.. So do I.... Its about PERSONALLY

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Indonesia
So n900 ROCKS so farrr!!!!

I have to say N900 has too many issues to make it suitable for the mainstream. And the only person I know other than me to own it sold it as soon as he could.

If you want something which is a good phone, works well, replaces your mp3 player, has loads of fun apps then N900 may be the worst you can get rather than the best. Add to that the fact that most will consider it too fat and ugly (I like the one colour masculine look - though could have been a bit thinner).

If on the other hand you are a linux lover then clearly it is the best.

I have never used linux before. I am not really that interested in fun apps. Have my DS for fun. Downloaded angry birds, played for 5 minutes and never touched it again. So iphone has no advantage over N900 in that department for me. I wanted my N900 as my media player but found that I ended up using my blackberry instead for music due to lack of proper random on N900 and stuttering music. Also email I transferred to blackberry as a million times better than on N900.

N900 is the best for me despite its issues because:

- like I said not interested in fun apps so no disadvantage,
- web browser is amazing and don't need to rely on laptop as much (though if I get a 7 inch internet tablet as planned N900 will lose a lot of its usefuleness),
- integrated I'm chats,
- keyboard and conboy notes is something I can't do without,
- over clocking helped reduce a lot of the sluggishness that used to drive me crazy and almost cause me to throw it out the window,
- most of all it is the best because of the ability to modify everything. So much fun and very addictive. Despite my N900 being out for repairs over a month I still come here to check for the latest mods. I would not sacrifice the ability to make the device completely mine for a billion apps. Apps/utilities like overclocking, QBW, home screen selector widget, swappolube that improve performance and usability and modifying all icons is where the fun is for me. And that makes N900 by far the best device for me.

However, if I was too busy to spend time on this forum to find out all the ways to improve the N900 then I don't think I would have been able to put up with the N900 for more than three months. So subjectively for me I have to say N900 is the best by light years. However, objectively if I just want a device that works properly out of the box to make calls, browse the web, listen to music and other basic stuff and I didn't have time to spend on a website learning stuff about the device then there are tons far better (HTC Desire, Nexus 1, iphone, Samsung Galaxies to name a few). So would I use something other than N900 or its successor - No. Will I recommend N900 to anyone I know? Absolutely not (unless I want them to hate me).

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Oh God I thought we went through these kinds of questions before...

Posts: 586 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Yes! This little computer is a killer!

I don't know why always there is n900 "the iphone killer" . It not anyting like iphone and that is very good thing! This is small internet tablet computer and its battery last very good if you compare that with some laptop! Try surf in internet with 3G about 3h with battery! Yeah... That is not possible! So this n900 is so much more and leaves iphone in it's shadow on the first step .

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bulgaria
Short answer - for me e NO!
N900 is a perfect small mobile computer, but as a phone- it lacks a lot of functionalities. So, it has his own market nitshe, but that's all.
If you want to use N900 as a primary device- at least for me it is not possible. In the last one year I spent/lost a lot time to find tweaks, to find way how to use it.
It is a device mainly for geeks and it is not finished.

Last coupple of days I spent some hours in investigating Iphone OS and Android OS and found a lot of usefull things in both. But for my puspose at this moment I will choose Android- yes, there are many not solved problems, rooting the devices and etc., but I believe that nowadays Android is much more finished OS for the end users than Maemo/MeeGo is.
So for me I decided- use for one or two years Android, then will choose agaiin- if MeeGo is matured enought in this time- maybe I will use it in the future.
It is a shame for Nokia to have such OS as Maemo for last few years and to not recognize that they can use it! In the last 4 year the top management of Nokia was asleap and did not recognize the market trends and issues. If there was enought time and money spent in Maemo in last 3-4 years I am sure that the market situation will be totally different.
I will keep my N900 because as device it is perfect, but also to be sure not to forget how Nokia pushed out his trustfull clients!
Regards to all Maemo fans!

yea,,, i am going to wait till the end of this year. If nothing happened in terms of MeeGo ( hope to be stable ) for N900, then will exchange it with E7 or HTC Desire HD.

Really, a powerful device the N900 but what is the use of it when no nutrition for it.

Last edited by !!Nokia N900!!; 2010-10-23 at 11:13.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by zarf View Post
And the best mobile computer in existance !

I love it, but it does seem to suffer from people expecting it to be a smartphone with a browser, which it isn't.

It's a computer that happens to be able to make calls.....
computer? so what exactly u do on it as you do on your computer? prove me? seriously, if i gave u computer with only linux kernel on it, what u would say it's awesome cause it has terminal and linux?

it's mobile phone, and yes now days mobile phones more like computer - that's it, i bet all the things u say other phones can do with programs for it.

i'm not saying i don't like N900 (could change it for brand new milestone or iphone4 but didn't). I just saying that all these "it's computer", " u didn't do research thing", "it's cool u don't get it" so stupid as "nokia doesn't give a crap", "none cares" and so on.

I think the support is not that great but crappy, but i can tell you at least a lot of examples and the way it should be done, and the way i see open source project should be developed and even with profit for company (money and name). but all you do is arguing like children "my papa is stronger", "no my" blah blah blah. haters and fanboys are starting to fill the forum with not useful info with SAME CONTEXT.

Take the example from people that wrote articles why they do like or hate n900, there proposals and points of view. and if i don't share same feeling i still enjoy reading it and learn something from it.

And maybe i'm too paranoic, but i don't belive in this topic starters with 15 or 10 msgs saying "oh damn i like this phone" - sounds to cheap and like it's set up for trolling/advertising, you like it and enjoy it - try to do something useful for community. or opposite, haters with several msgs only (one of them had windows in his nick). damn trolls and hired people to sabotage/promote -- leave my internets, and make your products better so people will buy it and not by over-promoting(lies)/sabotaging other products (if ur product is better - people will know it and buy it anyway)

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post: