I send in my N900 send in for repairs to my provider, and got a N8 back. Calling them with the info a mistake had been made, they told me since the 1st of April they're obligated to send the phone to Nokia.

Since Nokia couldn't be bothered fixing it (the wiring to the screen had gone bogus) and since they don't make the N900, they send me 'their new flagship' as apparently I agreed with these conditions when sending it to them.
I explained them I did not send it to them and I would like my phone back and I will have someone fix it (since the warranty apparently is worth nothing, I might as well open it up). After all Nokia Care doesn't seem to care much as on the phone they got angry at me for not agreeing with their policy, and they simply ignore my mails or other support requests.

So, with my farewell here (unless I somehow get a N900 back through keeping the pressure on my provider and Nokia) I just want to warn everyone NOT to send the phone to Nokia.

Also, I might not be entirely objective considering the circumstances but I'll also tell you the N8 (which I actually considered buying) is a really bad phone, I guess the only good thing is the camera. Symbian Anna is simply really unlogical, crashes a lot, Swype doesn't work for my language so is pretty useless and the list goes on and on. Some, although very little, things it does very good, but most of it are just half-assed copies of other systems and a not completed attempt at making Symbian touch-worthy.

I'm really considering letting Nokia go with this action, I always gave them the benefit of the doubt and was looking forward to the Nokia+WP7 phones (good hardware, slick designs and promising software).. but I'm really looking at other phones. With a hardware keyboard I might add

Good luck to all of you, the N900 will be the best not entirely complete phone I ever had.

I'm off enjoying the horrors of the N8..

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MatthiasL For This Useful Post:
It's well known fact. Just sell crappy N8 and buy aftermarket N900.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 855 | Thanked: 612 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
Yes, there are a decent amount of second-hand n900 out there.

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Antwerp Belgium
Originally Posted by MatthiasL View Post
I send in my N900 send in for repairs to my provider, and got a N8 back. Calling them with the info a mistake had been made, they told me since the 1st of April they're obligated to send the phone to Nokia.
Hey Matthias,
I send my N900 back on the 6th of april this year, purchased him on dec. 2009, with a touchscreen that didn't work anymore,
by the online repair website.
I had to pay 1,50 € for shipping
After 3 weeks i got a brand new N900 with a letter that they changed him after they checked him and they wanted to be sure my device complied with the nokia specifications, they even had installed the latest sofware, hurray !!!
Sorry for your loss but i think i had lots of luck that day......
surfing the web, navigate, chat, ttweet, email, scan, hack, share, tweak...
.....................and you can also use him to make a call

The Following User Says Thank You to peter2p For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MatthiasL View Post

Since Nokia couldn't be bothered fixing it (the wiring to the screen had gone bogus) and since they don't make the N900, they send me 'their new flagship' as apparently I agreed with these conditions when sending it to them.
I explained them I did not send it to them and I would like my phone back and I will have someone fix it (since the warranty apparently is worth nothing, I might as well open it up). After all Nokia Care doesn't seem to care much as on the phone they got angry at me for not agreeing with their policy, and they simply ignore my mails or other support requests.

So, with my farewell here (unless I somehow get a N900 back through keeping the pressure on my provider and Nokia) I just want to warn everyone NOT to send the phone to Nokia.

Also, I might not be entirely objective considering the circumstances but I'll also tell you the N8 (which I actually considered buying) is a really bad phone, I guess the only good thing is the camera. Symbian Anna is simply really unlogical, crashes a lot, Swype doesn't work for my language so is pretty useless and the list goes on and on. Some, although very little, things it does very good, but most of it are just half-assed copies of other systems and a not completed attempt at making Symbian touch-worthy.

I'm really considering letting Nokia go with this action, I always gave them the benefit of the doubt and was looking forward to the Nokia+WP7 phones (good hardware, slick designs and promising software).. but I'm really looking at other phones. With a hardware keyboard I might add

Good luck to all of you, the N900 will be the best not entirely complete phone I ever had.

I'm off enjoying the horrors of the N8..
post your complaint at wacktrap.com

post your n900 or Nokia complaints at www.wacktrap.com

Send email straight to Elop and ask him why he loves MS so much and hates Linux (Maemo, Meego) and in the same time destroys Nokia as a company totally.

Email them to say N8 is not a good enough replacement as it:

1. Has a smaller screen.
2. Has no keyboard.

Emphasise the keyboard thing.

They will call you up to talk about it, tell them the onscreen keyboard is useless for writing emails etc. They will then offer you an E7 instead. Accept. They will send a courier to deliver your E7 and take the N8 away.

E7 is worth ~£100 more than the N8.

Sell it on ebay, buy a new n900.

This was my email to nokia:

Dear Nokia,

My N900 broke and I returned it to a nokia service centre for repair. After a week I got a message asking me to collect my phone. I was not returned my n900. Instead I was given a refurbished nokia n8 in a damaged box. This is not good enough.

You are obliged to honour the terms of the warranty and either return me an n900 or a model of similar value and function. The n8 is NOT of similar function, it does not even have a keyboard!

I do not want this n8 and cannot accept it as a warrenty replacement.

The funny thing was I bought the N900 second hand and had already mangled most of the screws taking the thing apart/putting it back together.

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 209 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
Damnit, how am I going to fix the earpiece speaker?!

Why Nokia won't send N950 as a replacement, if they do not have N900s anymore? N950 has a keyboard and Linux based OS.
When comparing N900, N8, N950 and E7; N900 and N950 has most in common IMO.