Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Ok, I am facing a very strange problem. This is the scenario:

N810, newly flashed to latest Diablo, no apps installed. No external SD card.

When playing flash clips (aka youtube) online, the tablet says "recharge battery" within 15 SECONDS, and then shuts down.

Well, I thought my battery was probably dead.

Nope.

After fully charging the N810, I managed to leave my tablet on standby for 10 hours in the car, then watch a 20 minute Office show, and then listen to music for 2 more hours, and still have battery left.

And there is another problem, when I charge the tablet, it just constantly (every 5 minutes) reboots. It only does this when I charge, not just leave it sitting there.

Well, I thought, probably a hardware problem.

Nope, it charges fine If I use Android, which does not even have power management.

My conclusion: something is completely busted in OS2008. Now, how can I fix this problem.

Seriously, the only reason I have not given up on Maemo and started using NITDroid is because of Flash. Now, even Flash has stopped working, its like my tablet hates Maemo and wants me to change it...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

i have a similar issue on my n810 . take a alook at this thread http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=25683

i decided to rule out hardware/battery and ordered an oem battery from amazon..it should arrive tomorrow

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Maybe some forgotten watchdog from Android tests? My N8x0/770 restarts by itself if i leave no-omap-wd and no-retu-wd set.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
The power cycle happened long before Android. The flash thing is new. This is newly flashed N810, so there is nothing "left behind" (I hope ).

prk60091, the thing is that my battery life is good, its just that flash video drains my 100% battery to 0% in a few seconds. It does not make any sense...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

the reason i think it is the battery is because of the following 2 facts:
1. after the rapid discharge it takes a very short time to recharge- if it were an errant app the battery would actually be bad and would actually discharge and take longer to recharge
2. this behavior only happens when i am on a wifi connection- wifi burns more battery than no wifi

a new battery is due tomorrow - we shall see

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
I'd suspect the battery getting bad. More specific, the internal (series) resistance has increased?

This would explain the behavior so that when you do have high current consumption (WiFi radio downloading movie from internet and CPU fully loaded decoding the video), the series resistance drops the battery voltage the N8x0 sees and thinks the battery is dying... In other scenario using with small load the series resistance doesn't cause much drop with the battery voltage, thus it seem working normally. Series resistance does not affect the battery capacity, so the standby time should appear normal.

Once the tablet says the battery is dying and possibly shuts down, if you reboot it does it still say the battery is empty or does it come back showing good charge level? If so, then this should prove the theory above and you should try new battery.

By the way, in my N810 I have not seen this problem when downloading and watching movie. (Maybe you can try this using the WorldTV99... which should cause similar load scenario than watching YouTube flash movies... That would either confirm or rule out the possibility that the flash player is causing this.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
I've been having similar issues today. The N800 was dead when I picked it up this afternoon (1300UTC 1/1/09), and when I gave it external power, it seemed to run with a high CPU load and became quite hot. I uninstalled omweather and mediabox, both of which had been recently updated, but the problem persisted across several reboots.

My problem didn't occur when I booted from internal flash, but reoccurred when booting from SD. It was running from the SD filesystem at the leapsecond increment. Eventually the problem went away and it now seems to be working OK.

This story on slashdot http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/01/01/1930202 contains comments referring to issues with the 2.6.21 kernel and a leapsecond bug. People running fedora 8 have reported crashes. I'm not entirely convinced it is related, but perhaps it is.

Hopefully your problem goes away too, and hopefully mine doesn't come back.

fnord
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Last edited by fnordianslip; 2009-01-02 at 03:48. Reason: Forgot link, D'oh!

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
...Maybe you can try this using the WorldTV99... which should cause similar load scenario than watching YouTube flash movies... That would either confirm or rule out the possibility that the flash player is causing this.)
It happened to me several times with Worldtv99, apparantly watching video would drain the battery rapidly, on 43-7, and if stopped and left alone, the battery sometimes, will return to >50%. I switched to a new battery, problem persisted. Sorry prk60091.

bun

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Maybe this has something to do with the X-Server optimizations in 43-7?

Besides flash, hitting javascript-infested pages with the age-old unoptimized javascript engine in microB would also seem to stress the CPU a great deal.

At least with the Flashblock addon the former can be controlled somewhat. Firefox's Noscript addon is great on my desktop but it doesn't seem that Nokia/Maemo's outside volunteer Browser-addon team is very active these days.

In related opinion I'd say that Nokia's pricing for batteries is discouragingly high and considering how people often dump their phones when the battery starts dying (encouraging throwaway culture) it is possible that the stock currently available on store shelves is already old out of the box! (ie. manufactured a long time ago).

How I wish that device makers would settle on a few standard sizes of batteries so also credible third parties could continue serving the market and even improving capacities and charging behaviour like happens in the AA/AAA NiMH world.

Tags
battery, flash, life, power, tablet