Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Ouch! Greatly missed, a true pioneer. Things won't be quite the same

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deadmalc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Thanks debernardis, I'm just glad I was here.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Well, lcuk, I guess you're really gone now. But I'm sure you'll stay with us, in the hearts and minds of those who knew you and saw your work, and in the bits and bytes of code you wrote, and influenced others to write, which will always continue on.

Thanks for being a friendly face, for lots of laughs, and most of all, thanks for the bacon.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
I haven't met Gary but I feel him part of a family, the Maemo family, a wonderful family. I am glad to read so many histories about him, to see how much he is alive in out hearts.

Condolences to his wife Tracey, his family and all friends.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Just got this via the forum's Contact Us page:

Hello Everybody,

Im Margaret, Gary Birkett's Mum and both me and his Dad Peter would like to thank you all for your kind words, warm memories and pictures of our Gary. We took a great deal of comfort from all that you said about him. Gary was our quirky son with a passion for code, many times he would explain to me what he was trying to achieve but as you can gather it went right over my head.

The funeral was full of people just wanting to tell their own memories of him and afterwards there was a pint of guiness waiting for him which i am sure he would have relished. I cant tell you how much we will miss him and he will never be out of our thoughts for a moment.

HIs dream was to be at the nokia reseach centre and i am sure he is there now, either that or flying around the universe.

Thank you once again.

Margaret and Peter

The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I am saddened by this terribly. LCUK, you will be missed by many. I still cannot believe this. God bless your wife and children and family. I am truly saddened by this news, god help us all.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
His dream was to be at the nokia research center
I'll never forget lcuk as long as I remember his tale of the doors at Ruoholahti.

The Following User Says Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Just finding out this today and it seems tears come with sad news. This is just a kick in the stomach. I wish it had not taken me so long to discover.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
My deepest condolences go out to Gary's family. I never met him personally but I've had great pleasure from using his software and showing it off to other people. He went far too soon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ .pl
darn, gary. why did you did it. it wasn't your time yet, and you've got todos to do still :/ i'm so sad and angry that people like you go away too soon. i've never met you in person, but you were so persistent in pursuing your ideas..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KotCzarny For This Useful Post:

Tags
gary birkett, memoriam, respect