Posts: 232 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Warren, MI, USA
Heads up...if you use your Nxxx tablet in mass storage mode on a Mac, watch out for the ".Trashes" folders that get created on your device which could soak up quite a bit of storage without you knowing it.

I found out I had 10GB of junk stored in /home/user/MyDocs/.Trashes which was from me deleting things on my N900 from my Mac while it was plugged in under Mass-Storage mode. I keep forgetting that the Mac does this. I was wondering where all my storage on the N900 was going, seemed like it was full and I didn't really have that much on there.

Just delete these folders if you see them. I might work up a script which does it automatically (or maybe one of you have one already? Share please?)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pagesix1536 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Philippines
I have this folder too! although its been more than a month since i last connected my n900 to my mac.. nevertheless, it's good to finally confirm that it's safe to delete this directory..

after deleting, i'll observe... if it comes back (even without connecting my n900 to my mac), i'll make another post..

thanks for the info!

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
there is no problem with that folder as long as you empty out your bin, while the phone is still connected.

you will see the same folder on USB sticks, external hard discs and what ever else you connect.

sounds typical of a mac. our network drives fill up with the same mac crap. enhanched security against deleting stuff though i suppose!

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
there are tools for Mac OS X to select on which type of media the Mac should create this kind of folders (also the .DS_Store and others).

and as I said it is easy to solve if you empty out your bin.

the whole thing is similar to the windows Recycler folder which is present on every local disc and every disc that is mounted as a normal local disc.

so the answer is yes. Apple choose the way to keep the files and protect the user for accidental file lost, while Microsoft thinks that the user always know what he is doing and add some popups to remind him.

another tool that might help is Hazel, which can automate several tasks (such as sorting files or tagging them) but more important in this case is the function to limit the size of the trash to a specific size.
you could also use Hazel to automatically delete the .Trash folder from specific discs or to delete files from the trash who are older then some days.
Hazel is also able to overwrite files before it removes them from the trash. but I doesn't suggest this procedure on solid state discs (such as all the memories in the N900).

Originally Posted by assetburned View Post
there are tools for Mac OS X to select on which type of media the Mac should create this kind of folders (also the .DS_Store and others).

and as I said it is easy to solve if you empty out your bin.

the whole thing is similar to the windows Recycler folder which is present on every local disc and every disc that is mounted as a normal local disc.

so the answer is yes. Apple choose the way to keep the files and protect the user for accidental file lost, while Microsoft thinks that the user always know what he is doing and add some popups to remind him.

another tool that might help is Hazel, which can automate several tasks (such as sorting files or tagging them) but more important in this case is the function to limit the size of the trash to a specific size.
you could also use Hazel to automatically delete the .Trash folder from specific discs or to delete files from the trash who are older then some days.
Hazel is also able to overwrite files before it removes them from the trash. but I doesn't suggest this procedure on solid state discs (such as all the memories in the N900).

Hello, I know I am a couple to months behind but I recently downloaded the Nokia Transfer Tool for use with my MAC and came across this thread about the trashes? I was wondering if anyone could give me a guide on how to safely clean this out so it doesn't take up so much space? I should warn you that any directions provided will have to be quite basic :-)

Originally Posted by sierra052 View Post
Hello, I know I am a couple to months behind but I recently downloaded the Nokia Transfer Tool for use with my MAC and came across this thread about the trashes? I was wondering if anyone could give me a guide on how to safely clean this out so it doesn't take up so much space? I should warn you that any directions provided will have to be quite basic :-)
I think the answer is to empty the trashcan on your mac when the device is mounted via usb.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
I think the answer is to empty the trashcan on your mac when the device is mounted via usb.
I have a better answer.

When i was helping package a theme there were annoying mac-virus hidden folders in every folder of the data i was sent. That stuff is insidious...

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
I have a better answer.
Use a blowtorch on each and every Mac you see? I like the way you think.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
I have a better answer.

When i was helping package a theme there were annoying mac-virus hidden folders in every folder of the data i was sent. That stuff is insidious...
It is a bit irritating, although I've only seen it at the volume level, not actually within folders IIRC. Trashcans are for wimps anyway, rm obviously stands for "real men"
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.