Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Unfortunately, the trigger for the search is input focus leaving the title field, and I suspect that many people are madly typing away in the message box when the page updates to show search results between the title and message boxes.
Maybe making it inter-modal would work better. Meaning you have to actually do a form submit with the title to get the page that has the message input box (and links). As it stands, people with javascript turned off would never see links.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
I think all these replies are nicely summed up here (out of site link, click at your own risk, not an advert, warning, humor site further exploring might be NSFW)
From the site:
The important thing to remember is that you are dealing with a person who has essentially placed a twig on their head and expects you to believe they are a tree.
Wow... Best Quote Ever.

Brings whole new meaning to "can't see the forest for the trees".

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
It is very clear that this forum is made of 2 groups.... the moderators and their pals and the rest of us and wo behold if the rest of us so much as say a word out of line.

Please get a life you lot this is not a jail you know for gods sake !!!!!!.
I would agree with you but you left out 2 groups.

The sociopaths

and,

Everybody else who would be the majority...

As Texrat said this ain't a democracy it never was it has always been a private forum. It is publicly viewed however, hence the guidelines.

Along those same lines I just want to add that whether a post gets "Thanks" is not and indication of its merit. Just an indication of the thinking in an active thread at the time. Likewise comparing the thanks received by one post vs. another is not a very good way for anyone to make decisions or judge relative merit, IMHO.

I will sometimes thank posts months after they were first posted simply because I either didn't see them at the time or because my current interests now find the information they contain useful.

This I'm sure drives the OP nuts as he then sees his thanks count grow but has to go back through his thanked posts to find where it came from.

Back on topic sort of I guess:

Someone also said something about. "If no one agrees with your point of view at the time, repeating it in other threads over and over again is not going to change that."

How very true. To me it is like SPAM or repetitive TV commercials.

The one thing no one has mentioned is the "report this post" feature. Previously what were we reporting if we used it?

Now there is something to base a report on. I imagine moderators get an e-mail or other electronic notification when a post is
reported. These can be very helpful when they contain useful information. They are a humongous PITA when they are from the same two or three people reporting each others posts in a thread when they disagree.

Now with these guidelines there are specific reasons to report a post, if you are offended by it you can cite your reasons why.

SLN member # 009

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
I clicked "Thanks" on your post because I agree, YoDude

The Following User Says Thank You to skalogre For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
If rules are implemented and proven to work then i am all for them but not when as what has just happened to me where people jump in with a dig inviting flaming to occur is allowed, it shows clearly something is not right.

Look at what happened and you will realise i had no choice but to try and defend myself because one bad comment invites another so on it went.

If your going to make rules then at least make them applicable to everone including mods and the friends of because you cannot have a rule for one and not another.
I have absolutely no idea what you are going on about.

It's been made very clear the rules apply to all.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I have absolutely no idea what you are going on about.

It's been made very clear the rules apply to all.
I would hazard a guess that he is referring to people such as myself that challenged him as being the Mods' pets.
So... maybe should I click the "Report" button by my prior posts on my own and save abil_uk the trouble

Last edited by skalogre; 2010-06-23 at 00:08. Reason: Plural of Mod's is Mods'. Gaaah.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Alright, let's focus back on the policy statement now, please. I have updated the OP with the two revisions i proposed as nobody has objected.

If you have a specific objection and/or a specific proposal for revision, please make it known.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
I recall that there is the standard vBulletin disclaimer when signing up. Now, I would assume it would be a good idea to somehow have this FAQ/policy be part of the sign up process; perhaps by forcing the first post being in a specific subforum/thread signifying the new user's agreement? I don't know much about whether the software can automate this so I am just throwing that scenario out there.

I find this entire thread very amusing - all this angst about forum moderation.

This forum is yours, do with it as you wish - moderate, censor, ban, whatever - if you are the admin you have the right. So why all these "rules" that most (especially users pissed off at Nokia) will not even read ? If a user registers to vent, they will join and post - you think they are going to wade through the fine print ?

I also find this thread very amusing because some here believe such rules will "fix" and "cleanup" this forum, when the root cause of these issues has nothing to do with forum moderation or malicious trolls (paid by google/apple haha) who are out to "destroy" the community, but rather disappointed users who are geniuely pissed off at Nokia and have no other avenue to address their concerns.

But why should these users direct their anger at TMO ? They should go to Nokia forums right ?

The issue here is because Nokia forums/service support are CLUELESS/give canned responses and all the apps are from TMO respositories - N900 users come to TMO to download and browse apps and get fixes, not Nokia and the Ovi store, so for all intents and purposes TMO IS the defacto face of N900 support - regardless of whether this is "official" or not.

Effectively, the TMO forums have been co-opted (brilliant move by Nokia btw, all these unpaid tech support ppl working for free, I wonder how much money they save by doing this) to be tech support for the N900 and Maemo 5 and THIS IS THE REALITY, regardless of whether you like it or not. As with ALL tech support, you get abuse from unhappy users when they are disappointed.

And as with tech support users who cant take the abuse anymore, they quit the job, just like how some of the productive users are quiting positing now.

Putting in place stricter rules may allow you to gag some of the prolific complainers, but it will in no way stop new disappointed customers from venting their anger. All you are doing is putting a band aid on a gushing wound to make yourself feel better. You are not addressing the root cause at all - and that is TMO has become defacto tech support for n900 users.

So how to fix this properly ?

Only 2 ways to do this:
1. Get Nokia to address n900 user anger with solid communication and quicker fixes - but good luck that Hahahaha
2. Disassociate TMO from being defacto tech support for N900 and Maemo 5. Instead, make this an APP DEVELOPER/TESTER only board, and only registered app devs or testers (i.e. only those associated with a app project in progress will be allowed to register to post) allowed to post. Only technical/coding discussions to be allowed. On reading posts users will get the perception this is not general tech support, and "trolling" volumes will reduce/disappear.

As for the rules themselves - well I find it funny the starting threads expressing your disappointment with the N900 is considered trolling, but threads like "I LOVE MY N900 TO DEATH" or "MEEGO WILL DESTROY IPHONE/IPAD" are considered the opposite. When you have such bias/imbalances in the measuring stick used for censorship, well, claims of future even handedness in the enforcement of these rules are a bit of a joke.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
As for the rules themselves - well I find it funny the starting threads expressing your disappointment with the N900 is considered trolling, but threads like "I LOVE MY N900 TO DEATH" or "MEEGO WILL DESTROY IPHONE/IPAD" are considered the opposite. When you have such bias/imbalances in the measuring stick used for censorship, well, claims of future even handedness in the enforcement of these rules are a bit of a joke.
That's looking at what's been proposed far too simply.

There is no such imbalance.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
...I find it funny the starting threads expressing your disappointment with the N900 is considered trolling, but threads like "I LOVE MY N900 TO DEATH" or "MEEGO WILL DESTROY IPHONE/IPAD" are considered the opposite.
Yes, well, the suppression of overly enthusiastic posts by Maemo fans in the Maemo community forum was planned for phase two of this initiative, but since you've made the request, I suppose we can accelerate the timetable. And once that extra set of infraction rules is field tested, we intend to abstract and offer them to [local sport team]'s fan forum. No longer will [local sport team] fans suffer the pain of reading those horrible "This year [local sport team] is going all the way!" threads opened on their fan site in those heady moments following early-season victories.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:

Tags
commandments, community, infractions, rules, t.m.o. policy