Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Hi all,

I have been trying to get Fremantle beta installed today after my recent upgrade to Jaunty (yes, I know Xephyr has a problem with hildon-desktop on Jaunty), and I've been having a few problems.

Basically, when I was installing the sdk with the script, I was getting missing dependencies due to nokia-binaries being missing. I'm sure I wasn't setting everything right for both targets also, but I finally got everything installed (I think) by installing nokia-binaries, and then maemo-sdk-dbg with "fakeroot apt-get install".

But when I run the desktop with "af-sb-init.sh start", I get this small rounded box with 6 squares in it. When I click on that (which takes *ages*), I get a choice of 3 icons, app manager, settings and applications - clicking on any of these eventually brings me back to the starting screen. In the terminal, I have lots of error messages floating by as I'm doing this. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? What should I have installed that I didn't to get the nice hildon desktop I've seen in screenshots?

Thanks!
Dave.

(selected terminal messages below)
Code:
hildon-desktop[32268]: GLIB CRITICAL ** Clutter - clutter_actor_set_scalex: X scale is being set to 0
hildon-desktop[32268]: GLIB CRITICAL ** Clutter - clutter_actor_set_scalex: Y scale is being set to 0
hildon-desktop[32268]: GLIB WARNING ** default - hd_transition_play_sound: Canberra sound disabled for speed reasons, /usr/share/sounds/ui-window_open.wav
hildon-desktop[32268]: GLIB WARNING ** hd-app-mgr - _hd_app_mgr_request_app_pid_cb: Couldn't get pid for app com.nokia.hildon_application_manager because Could not get PID of name 'com.nokia.hildon_application_manager': no such name
hildon-desktop[32268]: GLIB WARNING ** ClutterGLX - Pixmap with depth bellow 24 are not supported
hildon-desktop[32268]: GLIB WARNING ** default - XDamageDestroy(0x60001f) for 0x93f5158: 154
hildon-desktop[32268]: GLIB CRITICAL ** Clutter - clutter_actor_set_scalex: X scale is being set to 0
hildon-desktop[32268]: GLIB CRITICAL ** Clutter - clutter_actor_set_scalex: Y scale is being set to 0
hildon-desktop[32268]: GLIB WARNING ** default - hd_transition_play_sound: Canberra sound disabled for speed reasons, /usr/share/sounds/ui-window_open.wav
hildon-desktop[32268]: GLIB WARNING ** hd-app-mgr - _hd_app_mgr_request_app_pid_cb: Couldn't get pid for app com.nokia.controlpanel because Could not get PID of name 'com.nokia.controlpanel': no such name
hildon-desktop[32268]: GLIB WARNING ** ClutterGLX - Pixmap with depth bellow 24 are not supported
hildon-desktop[32268]: GLIB WARNING ** default - XDamageDestroy(0x600031) for 0x92881a8: 154
hildon-desktop[32268]: GLIB WARNING ** hd-app-mgr - _hd_app_mgr_request_app_pid_cb: Couldn't get pid for app com.nokia.hildon_application_manager because Could not get PID of name 'com.nokia.hildon_application_manager': no such name

The Following User Says Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
There have been some serious speed issues reported on Intel video chipsets ( < 5 fps) ... I had no problems with my nVidia 8800 video card...

I'm not sure why you're being brought back to the start screen from those icons, however. That should do something more...

Last edited by qole; 2009-06-05 at 22:30. Reason: more details

I know when I first installed the Fremantle SDK the Application Manager just would not launch (well, it would launch then just crash immediately). Now it works fine, don't know what changed...

Are you able to customize the home screen any? Or just do any logical interaction with the UI?

Also, it may be helpful to post a screenshot of what you're actually seeing.

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Did you do clean install, after you figured you did not install the Nokia binaries? Perhaps I'm mistaking but I remember, with previous SDK, after I fixed installing the Nokia binaries later (did not opt for at run then was not able to run SDK well), it still would not work correct even though they were installed afterwards, after failing to run without. Then, I removed the whole /scratchbox and started over, after which it did work.

What kind of video driver do you use for X? Hardware accelerated? You are on x86-32?

I was thinking of suggesting virtual machine for Maemo, but seems to be for Diablo; not for Fremantle (yet).

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
I know when I first installed the Fremantle SDK the Application Manager just would not launch (well, it would launch then just crash immediately). Now it works fine, don't know what changed...

Are you able to customize the home screen any? Or just do any logical interaction with the UI?

Also, it may be helpful to post a screenshot of what you're actually seeing.
Screenshot here.

I don't know if I'm seeing the home screen. It is entirely possible I'm missing some software.

On start-up, this is everything which prints:
Code:
AF Warning: '/etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.defs' not found
Note: For remote X connections DISPLAY should contain hostname!
Sample files present.
Starting DBUS system bus
Starting D-BUS session bus daemon
Starting Maemo Launcher: maemo-launcher.
Starting Sapwood image server
Starting hildon-desktop
Starting Keyboard
[sbox-FREMANTLE_X86: ~] > sapwood-server[11524]: GLIB INFO default - server started
hildon-desktop[11537]: GLIB WARNING ** default - Error loading cached background image /home/dneary/.backgrounds/background-1.pvr. Failed to open file '/home/dneary/.backgrounds/background-1.pvr': No such file or directory
Any ideas?

Originally Posted by dneary View Post
Screenshot here.
When I click on that grid thing (needs 2 - 3 secs before it turns green, indicating the click is detected) I get this screen:

Um, what command did you use to start Xephyr? The display looks square, it should 800x480...

Edit: And yes, you're seeing what you're supposed to, minus a background image (and the screen looks truncated).

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Last edited by BrentDC; 2009-06-08 at 17:42.

For this screenshot, I just ran Xephyr :2

Previously I was running (c&p from Maemo docs) "Xephyr :2 -host-cursor -screen 800x480x16 -dpi 96 -ac -kb"

The result is the same.

So, where do I get the background?

Cheers,
Dave.

Originally Posted by dneary View Post
So, where do I get the background?
It comes in the hildon-theme-devel package.

If you tap somewhere near the top of the Xephyr window (but not the 2x3 icon) it should give you a gear icon towards the right of the screen. After several more taps you should be able to chose a background image.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I think Dave is wondering why his install isn't showing a background image. That is an excellent question. It should be part of the standard SDK install...

Tags
fremantle troubleshooting, maemo 5, xephyr