Posts: 271 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ United Kingdom
Is there a chip or device you can install at the hardware level that can achieve this? Or would software be the best way to go? because all the thief has to do is reflash, where as hardware it's always there working.

The reflash problem can be solved if Nokia install necessary applications inside flash! ;D

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Anti theft Cell phone
Not as eligant a solution but funny all the same

Originally Posted by JR99 View Post
When the thief changes the sim card a popup should show up saying enter 0000(or some other code) to continue.Ok here is the twist- obviously the thief will enter this 0000 to continue...too bad he actually gave a command to fire up this program which wil collect all the necessary data.Where as the real owner should know the actual code to abort the initiallisation of this program. If both codes are wrong then you are stuck on the same window saying " Code error.please enter 0000" .
Good Luck Guys.
I like this idea, although maybe it doesn't need to alert the user at all. How about an app that lets you decide what to do when a sim change is detected. It could be "do nothing", "report by email", "report by SMS" or "anti-theft mode".

The report should contain GPS location, new phone number, operator, IMEI, battery level.

If "anti theft mode" is chosen, then the report will be sent by email and SMS and a daemon will be started (and set to restart on boot) that does the following anti theft actions:

If possible, set the connect automatically option to "any connection" so that internet can be connected silently, if it's not already connected.
(Note: Report only if an internet connection is available, log to MyDocs and send log as/when internet becomes available)

- Report/log GPS every 15 minutes

- Report/log all SMS and Phone numbers

- Look for SMS from a defined number, or a particular code in the SMS (e.g. "You have won £1,532, claim now text 'winner' to 81223") if one is received, reply to SMS with GPS Data and battery level

- If the phone is active (not locked), take photos with the front cam when the user is typing on the keyboard and email them/upload them to a website. If the front cam has a shutter noise, turn it off first.

If you forget to switch it to "do nothing" before changing your sim legally, then you can just go into the app and turn off the tracking with a pin code.

Thanks to mikhmv for some ideas

Ben

PS Wouldn't it be great if this was part of the core code and the sim data was checksummed and saved hidden in MyDocs for comparison before/after flashing, so that even a reflash wouldn't stop this from working That sounds like an app that could work for OVI - you get charged when tracking is activated and OVI have a web interface that holds the reports, logs and photos for you (or the police) to access.

Last edited by benh_n900; 2010-02-21 at 17:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to benh_n900 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
Originally Posted by casper27 View Post
Anti theft Cell phone
Not as eligant a solution but funny all the same
Haha, just got finished reading that story. Very interesting.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Originally Posted by benh_n900 View Post
I like this idea, although maybe it doesn't need to alert the user at all. How about an app that lets you decide what to do when a sim change is detected. It could be "do nothing", "report by email", "report by SMS" or "anti-theft mode".

The report should contain GPS location, new phone number, operator, IMEI, battery level.

If "anti theft mode" is chosen, then the report will be sent by email and SMS and a daemon will be started (and set to restart on boot) that does the following anti theft actions:

If possible, set the connect automatically option to "any connection" so that internet can be connected silently, if it's not already connected.
(Note: Report only if an internet connection is available, log to MyDocs and send log as/when internet becomes available)

- Report/log GPS every 15 minutes

- Report/log all SMS and Phone numbers

- Look for SMS from a defined number, or a particular code in the SMS (e.g. "You have won £1,532, claim now text 'winner' to 81223") if one is received, reply to SMS with GPS Data and battery level

- If the phone is active (not locked), take photos with the front cam when the user is typing on the keyboard and email them/upload them to a website. If the front cam has a shutter noise, turn it off first.

If you forget to switch it to "do nothing" before changing your sim legally, then you can just go into the app and turn off the tracking with a pin code.

Thanks to mikhmv for some ideas

Ben

PS Wouldn't it be great if this was part of the core code and the sim data was checksummed and saved hidden in MyDocs for comparison before/after flashing, so that even a reflash wouldn't stop this from working That sounds like an app that could work for OVI - you get charged when tracking is activated and OVI have a web interface that holds the reports, logs and photos for you (or the police) to access.
MyDocs even hidden will be visible if you will connect phone to computer. All data could be better to store in /opt because
1. it is more easy to hide (some where /opt/python/....)
2. it is pretty large (2 gb).
Regular user shouldn't find it....

Additionally if write program for thief-protection I think it is possible to ask Nokia to add it in flash immage....

I am searching a good theft protection solution for a couple of weeks but did not find a good one yet. I know there are web based commercial services which allow you for example to lock and trace the phone or delete/backup the data.
Sounds good to me, does anyone a specific site which supports the N900?

If not, we definitely need an application to protect our N900. I never had this much data and $ value in such a small device. Having my N900 stolen is like loosing my computer with lots of data, loosing my mobile with all the contacts/messages, loosing my note book with pictures,ideas; calendar entries...

"Backup all that data" you might say - its still sensitive data in the hands of the wrong person if your N900 is stolen.

IMO i find it much worse to loose tons of sensitive data than an N900. Dont get me wrong, i dont have the money to buy a new N900 too often

I just want to point out that gps location, alarm sound etc is a good feature but first of all i want to suck all my critical data out of the phone silently and then delete it on the phone.

Originally Posted by DaSilva View Post
I would like to have a simple application which can be turned on/off by executing (no options, no GUI) and which sleeps for 10 seconds after activation and then monitors the accelerometer until it will be turned off again. If the accelerometer detects movement for more than two seconds an alarm sound (maybe one of the preinstalled sounds) should be played after five seconds at the highest volume level. This could be handy when you have to charge the phone while you are sleeping / in another room and other people have access (e.g. travelling). If someone could tell me how to detect accelerometer movements over a given time and how to play a sound at the highest volume within a shell script I could write the rest of the script and release it here.
Do you know how to realise this?
Thanks

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Danmark
I think most of you want to much from the application.

I found a while ago for s60 a very good software.

It was like this. as soon as a new sim card was inserted the program will send a text message to a predefined number(s) telling that. after that you had more options.

1. Kill, delete all the private data stored.
2. Send a text message and get a reply with the New Phone number, and the GPS coordinates.
3. Call and listen silently to the environment (without the other person knowing).

I this only the first 2 are really useful.

You don't need pictures with the owner, maybe only one the first time to recognize him in a public place. (but not necessary).

You don't want him to send you messages automatically every 15 minutes, because if you get at the last coordinates in 5 minutes, you have to wait 10 more for the next coordinate.

Also it would be nice to add a function when you text him to play a tune and freeze the touch (so that when you are close to him but there are too many people, it will make noise and the thief won't be able to stop it).

the rest is non sense.

And maybe if it has already a network connection to send the coordinates by mail (in case the thief has a prepaid in the phone with low credit).

there's no need for other stupid features, since they will only show to the thief that the phone as an anti-thief feature and will only determine him to try to see how to flash it ( supposing he doesn't know how).
and I think that if it's a good program nokia will include it in the next release since they already have something like this build in other phones (my e51 can be locked remotely and can have the data deleted remotely).

Originally Posted by emeni View Post
Also it would be nice to add a function when you text him to play a tune and freeze the touch (so that when you are close to him but there are too many people, it will make noise and the thief won't be able to stop it).
That's a great idea, it should turn the volume up too and override headphone detection

Originally Posted by emeni View Post
there's no need for other stupid features, since they will only show to the thief that the phone as an anti-thief feature and will only determine him to try to see how to flash it ( supposing he doesn't know how).
The other features are not needed so much for the anti-theft side of things, but useful if you have lost the phone, or left it at a friends house or something, but can't find it.

Automatic 15 minute updates to a web site (not by text) are useful if they are moving, so you can track where they are going/have been, but you should also as you say be able to text/access the device and get an instant response with GPS.