Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
are entries that use abused capabilities allowed?

The Following User Says Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mitrandir View Post
Hello,

I have my application published in Nokia Store for a half of year. Can I also submit it to coding competition?
Hey Mitrandir, thanks for being interested in the competition. The spirit of the competition is to drive new development, so I'm afraid I don't think your application would qualify for the competition if it has already been finished for 6 months. Were you planning on making some signifigant updates to the application?

This reminds me though there are unfinished questions regarding the acceptance of updates in the competition. I've noticed differences of opinion in the thread already - some would like:
  • new applications only in the competition. Updates to existing applications would not be eligible.
  • new applications and signifigant updates to existing applications in any category.
  • new applications only in any of the main categories, with a separate category for application updates.

It's something we need to clear up so please voice your opinions. If there isnt a clear consensus I'll start a poll over the weekend to get a final decision.

Also.. do ports count as 'new' applications? They are new to our community devices, but are existing applications that are being ported over.. it's a headache question

Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
are entries that use abused capabilities allowed?
Hi rainisto, Im not sure of that term can you expand on it so we know what exactly you mean? I google searched for "abused capabilities" and got a lot of stuff not related to mobile app development!! If you mean using software or hardware for purposes other than it was intended then perhaps.. it would depend on the application. For example, we wouldn't be happy to accept anything into the competition that was a serious risk of bricking or damaging the users device.

Edit: thinking about it again, is this an Aegis security token question?

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-06-01 at 09:29.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Edit: thinking about it again, is this an Aegis security token question?
Yes aegis capa question, only allow unknown origin capas. Or entries that use capas that cannot be gained without abusing the system like unrestricted system-ui or led notification would need....
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
kojacker
Thanks for detailed answer.

But I have one more question. I have not found deadlines in wiki page. What is the deadline for submitting apps to coding competition?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mitrandir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by Mitrandir View Post
kojacker
Thanks for detailed answer.

But I have one more question. I have not found deadlines in wiki page. What is the deadline for submitting apps to coding competition?
we haven't decided about deadlines just yet.

@all
I just got a new project at work...
I thought that I would have more time after I finished my last project, but no, the next one was already in the pipeline and now I even have to lead it (which is exciting, but I didn't expect it...).
So I have to say that I won't be able to spent much time for the competition. I already asked kojacker to take over the "moderator role".
But don't worry, the submission site will be online in time and my PayPal account can be used for the donations, as both activities don't require that much time.

Thanks for your understanding...

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2012-06-01 at 19:04.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Yes aegis capa question, only allow unknown origin capas. Or entries that use capas that cannot be gained without abusing the system like unrestricted system-ui or led notification would need....
What is and isn't "abuse" is entirely a matter of opinion. Entries should be able to use any and all capabilities necessary if it makes for a more groundbreaking app.

The Following User Says Thank You to itsnotabigtruck For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post

Also.. do ports count as 'new' applications? They are new to our community devices, but are existing applications that are being ported over.. it's a headache question
IMO, absolutely *no*, as they're using someone's else work. Hildonizing or optification is kinda like small/moderate update.

Of course, it may be not 100% fair - see AapoRantalainen and his veyr hard work on LinCity or other games/ports - but, it would be almost impossible to filter out other, much less effort-requiring ports.

Personally, i would also drop "significant updates to existing applications" - unless it's re-write from scratch.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Like Estel, i would drop "significant updates to existing applications" too, IMHO.

For the ports, it's quite difficult to have an opinion, as the work required can vary a lot - porting a Qt app can be desperately easy in some cases, and require a lot of rewrite in other cases, for example.

But apart from that, I have another question: what is a "new" app, for this competition ? Never published on maemo.org / Nokia Store ? Coding begun this year ? I would say the first option seems reasonable, but maybe this rule is already written somewhere :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Tofe For This Useful Post:
Oh, and by the way: the twitter hashtag #mcc2012 seems to be already taken by some sort of US conference: http://www.mcc2012.org/
Another hashtag ?

The Following User Says Thank You to Tofe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by itsnotabigtruck View Post
What is and isn't "abuse" is entirely a matter of opinion. Entries should be able to use any and all capabilities necessary if it makes for a more groundbreaking app.
Well yes, its a matter of opinion, but I'm more asking that if apps must work on normal end users device or not, or is it allowed to post an application that doesn't work without all capa opensh?

Just asking because I have one unreleased application in my private drawer which doesn't work on normal devices. But I have no problems to keep it in my drawer for ever

In the other view of opinion for people to be able to vote fairly between applications, we shouldn't force people to hack their devices in order to test the app.

All I'm asking is a statement in the rules that does application need to work from out of box device just by installing the competition.deb

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas