Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
If you have a grandcentral acct, pls try it. It is really NOT that difficult and it is pretty fun to use it like a phone.

Answer incoming calls:

I use Gizmo5, in fact the built-in sip (see the next couple lines for SIP setup) will do just fine. You do need a grandcentral number to answer calls from regular phone. Goto step 3) to set up incoming call using grandcentral.

1) Communication>Internet call>Tools>Accounts...>New>Next>Service SIP>Next>
User name: Gizmo username@proxy01.sipphone.com
password: Gizmo password
and check Use for PSTN calls:

If it sets up right, you should now have a green icon next to wifi icon on the status bar. You do not need the Advanced setting. If it flicking between green and red, your sip accounts setup is NOT correct. Try proceed with Advanced setup,

2) Advanced> (most people does not need this)
Connection: Transport: choose UDP
Outgoing proxy: blank
Port: - 5060 +
Discover public address: checked
Keep-alive mechanism: Auto
Keep-alive frequency: - 0 +
Authentication leave them blank
STUN uncheck Auto-detect STUN
STUN server: stun01.sipphone.com
STUN port: - 3478 +

log into gizmo, when phone rings, tap on the Answering incoming call, then the Gizmo icon will now turns to page 2, go back to gizmo page 1, tap on the phone icon (on top of the page, right below status bar, you see < Home Phonebook Calls > and a phone icon) to get a dial pad and hit 1 you should now able to talk/listen from the tablet, just like a Nokiafone. Dont get frustrated, it takes awhile to get a hole on the dial pad to catch the call... Maybe some guru can make the dialpad comes up by self, that would be tremendous help.

For the built-in sip, during incoming calls, tap to answer incoming call, menu>Internet call>DTMF dialing and hit 1 and you then able to talk/listen, just like a Nokiafone

Dial out:
Requirement
Gizmo acct, free
Grandcentral acct, free; dont know how one can get it now, apparantly it has closed

Repeat step 1) or maybe 2) as above.
Install DialCentral from http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/dialcentral/, put it all together by brontide. Setup and fill in grand central username/password and that is almost it, you are almost ready to make outgoing call!

3) On the PC, log into your Gizmo5 account, under Account Overview, jog down your 1-747-.... number. and then log into your grandcentral account and under settings, setup your calls to go to this 1-747- number, your Gizmo phone number. And jog down the phone number on your right upper corner of your grandcentral log in. This is the number for people to call you from their cell/land line and your tablet will answer. You now ready to make call from your tablet!

N810/Diablo/30-2
N800/Diablo/23-14,51-3
770/2008He one has to use earplugs. Dialcentral 0.8.0-9
Gizmo project 4.0.0.95

Useful links:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=14536
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhJpS5doGZM
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=23357
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...=grand+central

Credits: To all the above hackers/developers made it possible, TIA. I just document here, also for my own use. I recently updated to Diablo and loss this feature, and I tried and tried for 2 days, cannot get thru setting up the SIP account right. Hope this helps someone

Enjoy,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-09-15 at 12:35.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Great guide, except for the part:
Grandcentral acct, free; dont know how one can get it now, apparantly it has closed
PLEASE use the Wiki

Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Great guide, except for the part:
I want to help, but I do not know how . Sorry. I heard one can still apply for a grandcentral number, we just dont know when will they act on it.

bun

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Thanks for the how-to bun!

Unfortunately the N810 SIP client cannot login using my Gizmo credentials... maybe I'm misunderstanding something...

EDIT: scratch that-- I can't even log into Gizmo's account page anymore...wtf??? arg...

EDIT 2: Not sure why my Gizmo account was inactivated... but I created a new Gizmo5 account.

Now I've made it much farther except for the following 2 problems:

-If I try to dial out from the tablet, using the DialCentral keypad, the tablet gets an incoming call from itself. After I hang that up, THEN the actual number I called rings. Ack.

-If I try dialing out directly from the SIP client, I get no answer from the other number.

-If I try calling the tablet, it rings just fine, but a voice prompts me to press 1 to answer... and there is no 1 to press...

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-09-15 at 13:39.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I want to help, but I do not know how . Sorry. I heard one can still apply for a grandcentral number, we just dont know when will they act on it.

bun
bun - don't get me wrong, I like the guide, just I haven't been able to get an account.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
...-...-If I try calling the tablet, it rings just fine, but a voice prompts me to press 1 to answer... and there is no 1 to press...

If you using gizmo5, when phone rings, it created a new gizmo page. So you have to go back to the 1st page (the home page when you log in) and looked under the task bar, there is a phone icon. Hit that phone icon you will get a dial pad and press 1 will answer the phone. I know, i know, it is not perfect, but hey, it is fun, right?

The other question has something to do with your configuration on the grandcentral, play with it, then you will not calling yourself

I am glad you like it. Correct, this is NOT a replacement for your cell, but it is a hack that I think is pretty fun and also useful at time you need to call somebody and has only wifi and tablet... you got the picture.

Edit: Oh, if you are using DialCentral, it called back you hang up and answer, that is the way it is.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-09-15 at 16:30.

bah. grandcentral wont accept my free gizmo call in as a valid gizmo #.

Originally Posted by dantrevino View Post
bah. grandcentral wont accept my free gizmo call in as a valid gizmo #.
more info please

I just tried it now, it still worked.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-09-15 at 17:38.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
This guide may help as well. It's how I set mine up.

The Following User Says Thank You to lm2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Eh, I'm not usiing Gizmo5 on the tablet, just the native SIP client. I'm starting to think this won't work without installing Gizmo5...

EDIT: figured out the incoming call part. It's a PITA, but when a call comes in, you have to accept, then VERY QUICKLY click the SIP client menu bar and select Internet Call/DTMF Dialing. In my case I had to click 1 to answer.

^%%$$&^^#@!!!

I see the need for a dialpad button on the app's home screen...

/me scurries off to submit software request (done)

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-09-15 at 19:14.

Tags
dialcentral, grandcentral, phone, sip