I know that the GPS can take a long time to get a fix, but i've been walking around with my N810 for at least an hour out in the open and i couldn't get a fix.
I've also tried the A-GPS app, but the thing that puzzles me, is that i does find satellites, it just doesn't seem to use them:

Any ideas?

with the A-GPS, if you don't click on your location properly, it will cause you to never got a lock.

Also, perhaps try not moving around until you get a lock for the first time.

Make sure you can see the sky clearly as well (tall buildings and lots of trees can block the signal)

Thanks,
i clicked on my location as close as possible - is it possible to zoom in the map?

I've tried to stay in place for some time but probably not for more than 10 minutes or so, curiously, i've left the GPS on in my appartment for the last 2 hours, and i'm now up to 12 visible satellites, so appearently the walls don't block the signal completly. This is near the window on the 7th floor of a 17 floor building.

But i'm just confused, if the gps can see 12 satellites at the moment, why doesn't it get a fix? I would understand if it couldn't find them, then i would try to improve the reception. But if it sees 12?

Bye,
NsN

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I dont know which is a bigger problem, cant get a lock or cant get a reliable lock. Cant lock, simple, you just bought it, right? call Nokia and get a replacement. Cant get a reliable lock is problem. And that is what I have. Sometimes it locked within minutes, or more likely, it locked in 5 - 10 min. But occassionally, it never lock, and after 'waiting' for 30 min or so, a reboot, sometimes will get it locked within minutes. And sometimes, it just wont lock even after hrs and hrs. Mine is still 5 months old, I am really really thinking to get a replacement, as most user reported lock in under 2 min.

BTW, I digged out my GPS for the winCE machine, only about 3 yrs old. It also takes somtime to get locked. It is NOT or SiRF III unit. However, the difference is, this GPS will lock, after 4-5min and you can depend on it to lock after 4-5min. While the Nokia, no telling.

bun

with the A-GPS, if you don't click on your location properly, it will cause you to never got a lock.
Not sure that's strictly true; I presume that once the satellites are in view, the ephemerides they provide will override those provided by agps, but then again one never knows. In any case you have 5 satellites in view there but no lock, I've seen that before and don't know what the cause is (except the gps chipset/snr level).

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
You could contact Nokia, but the fact is that the N810's GPS is problematic and they are aware of this. If A-GPS doesn't help consider to get a BlueTooth GPS device with good chipset instead. I recommend Sirf-III. These go for 10-30 EUR/USD/GBP. If you do so, consider to contact Nokia about your decision.

this is what i have found that works.

first open agps-beta while you have a net connection.
hit your location with some accuracy.
*close* agps (this is the step i found on this forum- that makes all the difference in the world)
(you will never get a fix if agps is still running)

open maemomapper or wayfinder
click on the satellite view you should see numbers of satellites

and voila you should have a fix within a minute or two.. it works for me within1-2 minutes if i am stationery.....longer if i am driving

Last edited by prk60091; 2008-09-14 at 21:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prk60091 For This Useful Post:
Read this off : http://andrew.daviel.org/N810-FAQ.html

How can I get a faster fix with the GPS ?
Official Nokia advice: position the tablet on the stand so it is roughly vertical.
Other suggestions:

* Make sure the tablet clock is set correctly (see hwclock). More importantly, don't keep changing it - if it is different from what it was when the almanac was saved, a fix will take longer. The system clock is set from the hardware clock on boot, but is not normally written back to the hardware clock on shutdown if it is changed by e.g. ntpdate, so will revert on reboot.
* Keep the almanac up to date by occasionally starting the GPS and getting a fix.
* Go to a location with a good view of the sky in all directions. Try to get outside and away from trees, tall buildings etc.
* Point the tablet to the south.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to retrow For This Useful Post:
A-GPS is not a viable solution for many users. There should be better driver support for the GPS that comes with the N810 to allow lock with satellites much faster.

Originally Posted by johndoe32102002 View Post
A-GPS is not a viable solution for many users. There should be better driver support for the GPS that comes with the N810 to allow lock with satellites much faster.
enlighten me why is not agps a viable solution? you set it and forget it

Tags
gps, maemo mapper, n810, time to fix