Notices

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
It seems to be at a high volume after just 15 seconds. I think it should start at a "whisper" and be at full volume at 60 seconds.
Right now the fade is from 0 - 100 at 5 steps over 20 seconds... I could easily change that to 60 seconds; I had planned to put a preference in for this but got lazy and caught up with other things. I'll change it to 60 right now, and remind me again later about maybe adding a preference for it...

It would be nice if you would edit Post #1 to have an area that always shows the latest update, and then if you would always put the link to that update there. Or at least a link to the garage.
Yea I've been meaning to do this but that whole 0.9.3 crashing thing got me worried. Anyways now that 0.9.3-3 is stable I'll try to update the first post again soon to reflect.

Second, since the home hardware button provides a way to exit every program, do you need any other way to exit FlipClock at all?
Eeee... here's my analogy for that. If flipclock is a car that you're driving... sure you can always jump out and the car will stop on it's own, but that requires you to be aware that it's relatively safe for you to jump out and let the car stop... rather than having a big brake pedal that lets you can intentionally and comfortably stop the app. So the exit button, it's pretty much always going to be there.

Another feature I would really like: a generator of background noise or "sleep sound" or white noise or whatever it's called. You already have a Loop function for the alarm; I'd like a function where you could play a loop of sound to sleep to.
Interesting, I'm surpised Munk gave up on that project, it seemed pretty cool... I even remember offering to help develop it with him... but such is the open source world sometimes I suppose. Anyways, I'll have to wrap my head around the best way to tackle this, so it would be do-able, but it'll be an add on for later once first final release is out. (I'm also still toying with that old idea about using the mic to listen to you snore and adjust alarm time by a few seconds/minute/whatever to be in that optimal "wake up" time).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
Right now the fade is from 0 - 100 at 5 steps over 20 seconds... I could easily change that to 60 seconds; I had planned to put a preference in for this but got lazy and caught up with other things. I'll change it to 60 right now, and remind me again later about maybe adding a preference for it...).

Jolouis, besides changing to 60 seconds, could you increase steps from 5 steps in 20 seconds, to 20 steps in 20 seconds? Thanks!

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ California, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I've added this to my repository until it goes into Extras, so you can install it through the App Manager without worrying about the dependencies (they'll get pulled in automatically).

Add my repository to your Application Manager. Find Flipclock in your list of applications, install it.

Go to my website for the repository details.

Looking forward to seeing this app in Extras!
Qole, once again you rock! thanks for putting this in your repo. For whatever reason I could not get my tablet to go into Red Pill mode to install the missing dependency. It gave me the confidence to wipe the old version and jump on the bandwagon.

Great work all!

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Berkshire
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post

I'm afraid that I can't recall which theme I was using at the time. If I remember, I'll try again tonight (hopefully without the waking up early!).
I used the flip theme the night before last, and didn't see the problem. Last night I used the night theme, and the first digit was a '2' in the morning.

Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
I used the flip theme the night before last, and didn't see the problem. Last night I used the night theme, and the first digit was a '2' in the morning.
Aha brilliant! Okay great thanks AndyM, that confirms it was the problem I thought it was, I've fixed it in SVN. I'll put another update package/preview release together in the next few days once I sit down and spend some time fixing up/tweaking the graphic issues. In the mean time if you're getting annoyed by that digit thing and can't wait, just save the attached image as "10.png" to /usr/share/flipclockC/themes/defaultNight; that will solve the problem for you.

I'm going to have another go at the packaging thing this time around too, as it seemed to work before but I still never saw any sign of 0.9.x showing up in extras-devel, despite autobuilder reporting everything was good and worked properly...

As an update, here's what I've been tweaking:
- Sounds are now faded in over 60 seconds, at 20 steps of +5 volume each.
- There is a MAX alarm sound setting in the config file that works, I just haven't made the interface button to change it yet.
- Complete rebuild of Insomniac mode; there's now a config file setting to control how dark/bright insomniac mode is, and this gives you the same full range as the "Advanced backlight" app. By default brightness is absolute minimum, lowest possible setting from advance backlight (other than off of course). I haven't implemented the interface button to change/control this setting, but I have tested it working as is. At the default value though the "night theme" clock is MUCH better than it was before for the dark...
- Few other minor tweaks and fixes.

Next up, fix up the graphics and then preview 3 time ;-)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ California, USA
After making the leap a couple of days ago from 0.2.4-5, i have observed the weird digit thing in the red night mode. It seems that after midnight the one remains lit until the alarm goes off and it then disappears. E.g. it looks like 1500 when its really 5AM.

Also I see you are working on the volume control. I have noticed that the program hijacks the device volume such that even after the alarm is off, the volume for the device remains high or at the level last achieved by the alarm before being turned off.

Great job! I really like the new speed and stability. Gotta admit I used the previous version for many months without these same issuse, but in fear that one wrong move and the tablet would lock. Also i find it interesting that the previous version is still in the repos. This one should certainly replace it!

UPDATE - I found this morning if I switch to the flip clock then back to the digital the "one" goes away. same thing happens when you snooze or stop the alarm. Hope this helps fine tune the issue.

Last edited by la3875; 2009-11-07 at 14:37.

Hey guys sorry for going "dark" there for a while, I've been dying of plague for the last 4 days and am only now finally again healthy enough to sit up and even look at a computer screen for more than two minutes, let alone use one ;-)

Thanks for the feedback la3875, to address your concerns regarding latest version:[*]the extra digit thing is fixed as of CVS, it was just a missing image file that I forgot; next release will take care of this.[*] The volume does indeed get hijacked since a lot of people requested this (to ensure alarms were audible incase they had the volume lowered the day before/etc). When you exit flip, the original volume should be restored. I think I'll tweak it so that original volume is restored once you stop an alarm, that way you're as safe as you're going to get. I'm also in the middle of adding a "max alarm volume" thing so that you can set how loud you want the alarm to be.

I tried to get the latest preview into the repos and it looked all good, but then it never actually showed up for some reason! I'm going to work on fixing up this latest set of bugs/features and then I'll give it a go again.

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
The best app I have seen in awhile for the EOL N8x0! The installation is a freaking breeze with the help of council member qole!
The UI is so awesome and intuitive. This is jaw dropping. Thanks, Jolouis.

bun

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Jolouis, sorry you are ill, hope you recover soon! Last night I set FlipClock to wake me at 7am, then I turned my N800 completely off and left it out in the kitchen. It still powered up at 7am and played music loud enough to wake me in the bedroom! We look forward to your next release!

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
- This version WILL CONFLICT with the old Flipclock, so don't expect them to be able to run side by side... I recommend disabling all alarms and uninstalling the old Flip before installing this!
First, thanks for the neat program. I didn't uninstall the old version, I just kept updating it but, it seems to work just fine though. Finally there is a shut off icon. That was much needed. I had to keep shutting off the whole tablet before to get the alarm to stop.

On the note side one thing I would like to see is in the alarm style settings. It only have two options, weekly and daily. A nicer option styles IMO would be weekdays, weekends and once. Well, that's just how I have it on my phone anyway and its convenient and has worked well for me that way.