Notices

###########################

Woops, Maemo newbie here.

You don't have to system link the file. The Tracker Daemon will find the music on the SD card. If you make a system link then the trackerd will find both directory paths and will show bubble every song you have in the music player.

###########################
Aloha,

I was having studdering problems and overall bad preformance when playing music. I knew what the problem was.... IO bandwidth of the internal eMMC memory.

So, i simply made a directory on my SD card named "sounds" then copyed over evrything from /home/user/MyDocs/.sounds . Then deleted that directory and replased it with a system link.

Now I can listen to studder free music and open/run other applicatons as fast as they would open/run if I was not playing music. I highly recommend it.

mkdir /media/mmc1/sounds
cp -r /home/user/MyDocs/.sounds/* /media/mmc1/sounds
sync
rm -r /home/user/MyDocs/.sounds
ln -s /media/mmc1/sounds /home/user/MyDocs/.sounds

Last edited by echoblack; 2010-08-18 at 01:04.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echoblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Do you think this would work with videos too?

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by James_Littler View Post
Do you think this would work with videos too?
Are you asking about recording or playback?

I've had no issues with playback of video on either partition, but I'll create a symlink now and see the N900 copes with writing to the SD card ; although I think the stuttering is caused by tracker more than anything else.

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Originally Posted by gregoranderson View Post

I've had no issues with playback of video on either partition, but I'll create a symlink now and see the N900 copes with writing to the SD card ; although I think the stuttering is caused by tracker more than anything else.
Durrrrr. Silly me. N900 already uses my SD card for recording if inserted (inside the DCIM directory). Never mind. Still a bit juddery. Many threads on here regarding the performance issues.

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by gregoranderson View Post

Yea I was interested in playback as my videos, even the demo ones, stutter to begin with, they normally smooth out though.

If you've not set your N900 on fire in the process by tonight, I'll give it a go

I wonder if this is why some people are having issues with Sygic MM10. And why if I have GPodder, Panucci, and MM10 open and functioning at the same time it stutters once in a while (I/O usage since everything is on the 32 GB internal memory).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

#
# No need anymore. read top of first post
#

#Woops, I forgot to mention I have also formated my MyDocs partition ext3.
#
#you can't make system links on FAT fialsystems.
#
----------------------------

Well ya I would think it would help video too.

Because of the program playing the video is running on the same MMC as the video. Not to mention like evrything ells.

The bigest bottle neck I see on this device is the dunb flash eMMC. Sure it CAN read at like 20MB/s and write at owe.. 15MB/s (not that that is realy fast) However, Not randomly. Random read/write is more like 5MB/s by <1MB/s

The more stuff you can fugure out how to split it's IO accross both eMMC and SD the better.

Last edited by echoblack; 2010-08-18 at 00:55.

Originally Posted by echoblack View Post
Woops, I forgot to mention I have also formated my MyDocs partition ext3.

you can't make system links on FAT fialsystems.

sudo gainroot
umount /home/user/MyDocs
mkfs.ext3 -m 3 /dev/mmcblk0p1
mount /home/user/MyDocs

----------------------------

Well ya I would think it would help video too.

Because of the program playing the video is running on the same MMC as the video. Not to mention like evrything ells.

The bigest bottle neck I see on this device is the dunb flash eMMC. Sure it CAN read at like 20MB/s and write at owe.. 15MB/s (not that that is realy fast) However, Not randomly. Random read/write is more like 5MB/s by <1MB/s

The more stuff you can fugure out how to split it's IO accross both eMMC and SD the better.
works really good.. but you have to consider, if you do this there will be 2 major disantvantages:

1. you can't mount your home partition in windows anymore (possible you can install some ext3 driver)

2. the maemo intern filebrowser will not read the Mydocs partition anymore so you have to use a replacement ( filebox for example)

Repartition the eMMC. Make a small (something like 8gb would be perfect) and the rest as EXT3 (or maybe EXT4, power-kernel has support)

Also, if you format your MyDocs as non-fat I believe I read somewhere that the built-in camera will not function correctly anymore?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!