Notices

Where do I have to put the wad files for doom 1 and doom 2 ? I can't find /opt/doom/wads........

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
Downloaded it and it works great. I actually was pulled in and finished 4 levels LOL..so i have to say, good job and thanks!

Will Doom2 work too?
Doom, Doom2, Plutonia Experiment, TNT Evilution work.
Heretic, Hexen, Strife crashed, might be they needed a modified engine?

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
PrBoom doesn't support the engine variants like Hexen and Heretic. Its main aim is to provide broad Doom and wad extension support while maintaining classic gameplay and appearance. There are so many doom engine ports that the variety of features to be had is quite astonishing.

MisterSorin: Sorry but you can't move the wad files using the file manager, which is "dumbed down" to not show anything but a few areas of storage.

I am trying to decide how to make additional wad usage more user friendly. For now, you need to go to the xterminal and copy the files with the cp command.

Example (if your doom2.wad is in MyDocs):

cp MyDocs/doom2.wad /opt/doom/wads/

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

great, everything is working !
I just would like to know how to select doom or doom 2 because i've got both wads and when i'm clicking the icon, it's starting with doom2 without giving me the choice.

Help please

ah, btw, is it possible to have it in full screen ???

great work !

Right now the way to switch games is by moving the wad files in and out of the /opt/doom/wads/ directory, or editing the config file in your user directory (~/.prboom), or passing parameters when running from terminal, like this:
/opt/prboom/prboom -fullscreen -height 480 -width 800 -iwad /opt/doom/wads/doom2.wad

The next version will make fullscreen switching a little bit easier by making it work right if you choose the option in the in-game menu.

The man page has more details.

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Hey, first of all thanks for the app, you brought one of the greatest games to the platform and i cant wait for ur future projects

I copied 2 wad files to PrBoom wad directories, after that i ran the game and it totally crashed without any notifications wutsoever .. i dont think i've done sth wrong, im only wondering if the app cant handle 2 wad files in its directory .. if so, i dont know the command to delete the files, i'd be much thankful of u would tell me.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by mkaaki View Post
Hey, first of all thanks for the app, you brought one of the greatest games to the platform and i cant wait for ur future projects

I copied 2 wad files to PrBoom wad directories, after that i ran the game and it totally crashed without any notifications wutsoever .. i dont think i've done sth wrong, im only wondering if the app cant handle 2 wad files in its directory .. if so, i dont know the command to delete the files, i'd be much thankful of u would tell me.
u need to leave prboom.wad and a doom.wad in the folder

Hi Flandry !
do you know when will be the next update ? I (of course) can't wait to play it in full screen !
and accelerometer ??

Yes prboom requires prboom.wad and an iwad file (doom or doom2.wad generally) to work.

Not all add-on wads are compatible with all Doom ports. PrBoom supports boom and lxdoom compatible wads but not the highly modified wads for the more radical ports. To give you an idea of this: one of the changelogs claims it shuts down gracefully rather than crashing when presented with a certain type of wad.

I tried using the old Star Wars Doom wad i found in my backups and it failed, complaining it couldn't find a certain resource. I don't really remember what kind of tricks were involved in getting that to run on original doom but it did at least give an error message so i think it's a broken wad rather than incompatibility.

You can delete files with the rm (remove) command:
rm /opt/doom/wads/mywad.wad

As mentioned, make sure you leave the prboom and the doom wads. The remove command is a fairly permanent process...

Regarding updates: not before late June at the earliest. PrBoom has no known gameplay issues and the existing issues can all be resolved with command line parameters or configuration file modifications. The latter cannot be said for SDLMAME, uqm, or even gweled, all of which are in the queue before prboom.

Accelerometer control has its place... somewhere. It definitely isn't as good as keys, joystick, or buttons for FPS games. However it should b possible to get the accelemymote wrapper to work with prboom. Now that the missing kernel module has been released, i'll push a task to the front of the "maemo gaming" queue to create a separate package for the utility (it's currently bundled with uqm) so that interested parties can hack it.

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-02-22 at 14:59.

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
However it should b possible to get the accelemymote wrapper to work with prboom. Now that the missing kernel module has been released, i'll push a task to the front of the "maemo gaming" queue to create a separate package for the utility (it's currently bundled with uqm) so that interested parties can hack it.
And here it is. If you want to play PrBoom with rudimentary accelerometer control right now, i made a script to simplify things a bit. Install the accelemymote package and download the attached script. Untar it and run it and you'll get fullscreen prboom with accelerometer control...

More detailed instructions:

Download it to N900, open an xterm and type
tar -xzf MyDocs/prboom-joy
then press Tab to complete and enter.

To run it type:
./joyboom.sh

Remember you have to use the backspace key to navigate the menu to quit in fullscreen mode.
Attached Files
File Type: gz prboom-joystickfullscreen-script.tar.gz (317 Bytes, 164 views)

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-02-24 at 15:30.

Tags
arcade, doom, fps, fremantle, game, id software, maemo 5, prboom, shooter, wad