Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Ditched APM? This isn't x86, and doesn't have anything resembling a PC BIOS, so I'm pretty sure APM is completely irrelevant. I think bme is running anyway, but haven't checked; are you sure it's not charging?
OK, I guess it was charging. Sorry for the mistake. How about making the LEDs work, then

That's awesome, but really a completely independent project. I'm not thinking of any kernel modules that would be useful only under Debian, so this would have much broader utility than Debian.[/QUOTE]

How is it an independent project? Modules for common USB-ethernet chipsets would be nice to have, or for FUSE (if they're not there already). A kernel/set of kernel modules providing common functionality is completely in line with running Debian, IMO.

Well, it's a separate project because it works with Debian, and without Debian, equally well. It strikes me as ******ed to collect them as part of the Debian project when that only makes them accessible to a small portion of potential uses, and gains no benefit. Is there a benefit that I'm missing?

Hmm...That I'm too lazy to make my own project?

I'll just end up compiling my own personal kernel, then. No problem.

I think that the biggest thing to focus on now is getting X11 working fully again. A recent round of updates borked it.

Is there a newer version of Xomap we could build/use? Does Diablo ship with a later version?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Just wanted to give notice of some work me and johnx have been working on the last weeks..

We have basically made a debian installer for the NITs that debootstraps and creates a proper debian image (without having to fetch a huge tar.gz), on the tablet itself.

So far status:
* Sane Debian setup - works just as well as a standard Debian
* Proper fsck - remounting the root file system read-only so the OS can actually fsck the FS.
* X11 is working with touchscreen support
* WLAN works (with WPA2 too)
* I've had xfce4, afterstep etc. working already

You can view the technical information at http://wiki.maemo.org/Debian_for_NITs_development on how it's done.

If anyone is interested in contributing packages or ideas how to proceed from this foundation/or have comments, either contact me/johnx or reply in this thread

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
I'd add in the right/middle clicking trick, and updated keymaps, if they're not there already. I have keymaps (both Xmodmaps and keymap.maps, both the standard set up and a customized one), and can provide details on how to set up the clicking.

Glad to hear this is still being worked on! I thought interest had stalled.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Here is a list of bugs that i have incounterd while testing Debian beta4:

* The browser fails to launch (input/output error)
* Xfce4 sessions manager fails
* Matchbox has conflicts with the window manager settings manager (doesn't support it )
* The vertual keyboard has no input (might be my falt )
* No splash screen
* The "debian" section of the xfce4 menu is not visible (if you tap on the debian menu it does nothing)
* Some windows are mis-shapted and buttons/text on the screen are displaced
* The top panel on the top of the screen crashes when you try to re-locate it
* No rotate application (this has ben addresed by Stskeeps)
* No way to safely exit Debian (the xfce4 power menu fails and as stated above i can't use the keyboard in the terminal, could be my falt )

Those are the bugs i have incounterd so far. This may verry depending on how it was installed. (I used my N800 for the install only, no ssh.)
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Regarding b-mans post..
Okay, let me just explain a bit about how things work in nit debian.

Basically the default environment 'nit-env-stskeeps' that is installed is a mix between xfce4 and matchbox, so that causes bugs like bug 2, 3, 5 and the last one.

The environment also intentionally does not depend on a web browser.

If you want to change to full xfce4 you can apt-get remove nit-env-stskeeps and the.Debian alternatives system will cause xfce4 to boot up instead next boot, but may be without networkmanager applet etc.

the dialog problem is simply cos of screen size i guess.

Do me a favour and report bugs on the trac page of the project so we can keep track of them

Regarding environments i recommend you look at /nit-base-packages/nit-env-* and see how to make a Debian package with an environment of your own others may have use of.

You can build a package in /n-b-p by dpkg-deb --build directory and then dpkg -i directory.deb to test.

Debian menu is prolly empty cos not that much is installed that isn't shown in main xfce menu.

Panel moving and virtual keyboard does sound like a bug so please file on trac.

Apologies for odd post structure, in a car with tablet and grps

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Wireless still doesn't work for me =-\... dunno wth is wrong with my NIT..wpa reports an unable to post association with driver error when it tries to associate to 00:00:00:00:00 ... very odd.

I was having similar problems when i did just the wireless part on Johns beta3... i eventually got it working in beta3 so chances are I will here too, but for some reason wireless is just proving not to be plug and play for me =-(
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

i re-loaded the beta4 from svn and it got up to the point of loading nit-env-x .. i just wanted a basic x system.. it failed on dependency of n810-slideout-kbd-xmodmap.. for some reason the files were in the nit-base-packages but the deb wasnt built. So from there i built that deb..installed nit-env-x and icewm.. set the root password and rebooted.

now icewm starts ans the touchscreen works perfectly but the n810 keyboard doesn't work at all.. running xev shows no input and i cant even type the normal letters in a terminal.

also xvkbd constantly repeats the last clicked key so that makes typing with that a pita. Anyone know how to get X to see even the basics of the n810 keyboard??
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Tags
debian, deblet