Active Topics

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
When I published my app in Ovi store I made sure to force them to make it available in all countries, it's not the default for some reason. I won't post the download stats here in case it's supposed to be some big secret and Nokia gets pissed off, but lets just say China is 8x more downloads than Finland, and those are the top two countries. The combined total is about 150 for those two. Anyways, I think it's interesting.

-edit-
Just found something else interesting:

I wonder wtf they are doing over there...

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2012-01-18 at 06:53.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
When I published my app in Ovi store I made sure to force them to make it available in all countries, it's not the default for some reason. I won't post the download stats here in case it's supposed to be some big secret and Nokia gets pissed off, but lets just say China is 8x more downloads than Finland, and those are the top two countries. The combined total is about 150 for those two. Anyways, I think it's interesting.

-edit-
Just found something else interesting:

I wonder wtf they are doing over there...
there are popular chinese apps available for nokia n9 in china ovi store, apps like youku, tudou, qiyi, weibo, kaixin ,(qq ported from symbian, unofficial), it is no wonder it sells well there!

The Following User Says Thank You to youmeego For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Germany
For the im-providers-additional package it goes like this:

Requests by referrer (Asia highlighted):

But if you sort the general page hits by country, Australia hits #1

But I think you can merge unknown addresses to Asia and Russia. Their reverse lookup is just poor sometimes
Attached Images

Last edited by Niwakame; 2012-01-18 at 08:47.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Niwakame For This Useful Post:
One reason as to why the N9 is so popular in China is the number of N9 clone devices. See, http://www.mobilemag.com/2011/11/30/...unning-7-oses/. Apparently the manufacturing capabilities of China were greatly enhanced by the Nokia contract, and Chinese industrialists used that know-how to produce both on-spec official devices as well as off-spec clones. You can reportedly get the shell and appearance of an N9 for about $50 USD, but it has a resistive screen, low specs, etc., but they are popularizing and democratizing the excellent N9 (sort of).

Chinese programming has been excellent in my experience, and I use the English version of a Chinese VKB program on my E7 currently. If Meego catches on there, we could see the software availability really take off, both due to its being a gateway OS to China, which might bring developers to Meego, but also Chinese development for the device that comes West.

I would be interested in the possibility of a PREMIUM spec version of the N9, specifically one that could take full advantage of T-Mobile's 42 Mbps 4G network, as the SGS2 currently does. And maybe more memory, since I currently have a 16 gig N9. But 42 Mbps would be killer.

I think Meego is great. I'd like any arrangement that strengthens the N9 and Meego. Thanks to all Meego devs. You guys rock and I wish I had your programming skillz.

What do you guys think would happen if China really gets rolling with Meego and N9?

http://www.gizchina.com/2011/10/10/n...ating-systems/
http://bytesofchina.com

Last edited by Hacker; 2012-01-18 at 10:18.

Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
What do you guys think would happen if China really gets rolling with Meego and N9?
I have a feeling Lumia will fail in China. With China's help the number of N9s sold worldwide may be more than Lumia 800.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Just been back from Shanghai. I saw N9 advertisement everythere in underground stations. The white N9 64GB is very popular. The price is 4500 CNY for each (about 450euros), which is really good. I'm planning to buy myself one next time I go back.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
The chinese ovi store is really "poor" in my point. Apart from the apps listed above, there are barely other good apps. The apps in europe stores have 90% missing in chinese store. Even things like angry birds or real football are not there. I'm surprised that the download is still so high...

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Yeah the policies are not helping. I think they test the chinese apps more to make sure they don't have some hidden political or other offensive stuff. South Korea isn't even allowed games! They just rejected my app because it doesn't work on the old firmware. I don't know what the point of firmware updates are if developers can't use any new features.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
So, are there any good chinese apps? UC Browser perhaps - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1150573 ?

Originally Posted by impact View Post
So, are there any good chinese apps? UC Browser perhaps - http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1150573 ?
I have almost all the Chinese apps, usually in 3 catagroies:

1 Native service apps: i.e Kaixin, Weibo, Jiepang, Sohu Weibo etc. They are the Chinese version of Facebook, Twitter, no use for people outside china...

2 Video apps. i.e Youku, Qiyi, Tudou etc, the client for these video websites inc. TV programes. Again the app and even the videos are in Chinese, no use for people outside of China.

3 There are a few games in Chinese store which I didn't see in the UK store, like crazy hamster (maybe it is in the UK store?) but the interface is again in Chinese...

That's almost all the Chinese apps...