Notices

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Israel
http://digdigdigi.blogspot.com/

I got sick and tired of not being able to know what any of the games in the maemo.org repositories are like, so I started downloading and reviewing them.

Small games get mini reviews, and bigger, more PC like, games, get regular reviews.
So far there are big reviews for:
# Numpty physics (Sort of)
# The battle for wesnoth
# Angry birds
# The Ur Quan Masters

And mini reviews for:
# Crazy cat
# Colorcode
# ******** Bingo
# Battle Jeweled
# Burger space
# 100boxes

And I keep making more every day.
I'll keep this updated.
If you've ever wondered what any of those games are, might want to check it out.

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to late666 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
I suggest you also to test VectorMine

Nice ... Thanks for putting your time to do the reviews saves me time

Thanks for the review... U shud take a look at Open Arena too 300 MB download from the repo but Worth it

where is the battle for wesnoth located? i thought they were still working on it.

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
I suggest you to try Gweled, you will see that it seems overall superior to Battle Gweled (see that you have a typo in your blog). Maybe I prefer it over BG because of the sound and music, but also the animations seem a bit smoother. Anyway, I don't know what's the reason for having two absolutely identical games and why them don't merge.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
I suggest you to try Gweled, you will see that it seems overall superior to Battle Gweled (see that you have a typo in your blog). Maybe I prefer it over BG because of the sound and music, but also the animations seem a bit smoother. Anyway, I don't know what's the reason for having two absolutely identical games and why them don't merge.
Battle Gweled has network play, Gweled doesn't. They both exist because two different people made ports of Gweled (a pc game) and had different visions. I picked up maintaining Gweled for Fremantle even though Battle Gweled was in the repo because BG doesn't have some features that people were requesting.

Originally Posted by late666 View Post
I got sick and tired of not being able to know what any of the games in the maemo.org repositories are like, so I started downloading and reviewing them.

I think it's great you're doing this, but it's "out there" where people aren't going to see it. Can i interest you in maintaining the games list (in the sticky of this forum), and linking to your review for each game as you review it next to the link to the game homepage?

It would get you a bit more exposure and get the community a better games list.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Way too much of your personal option is affecting the scores; and reviews are not fair.

Like for example, you said that BurgerSpace has 8bit graphics and terrible sound. Its a NES game knock off (see BurgerTime) so naturally its 8bit. Personaly I dont see how the graphics and sound affect this type of game.

I understand your aiming for Rating games based on the n900 gaming experance, But honestly if your going to rate the games on that fact alone, rate them on that only and dont deduct points from them for poor devolpment when the orginal game has not been remade JUST for the N900. For example try rating the controls, because as we all know that is the major short coming of most games we have for the N900 (unless of corse your using a Sixaxis or Wiimote) . Im not trying to be rude just my opinion.

You should do a review of the emulators, and rate the performance as well.

Last edited by ear0wax; 2010-02-24 at 08:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ear0wax For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Israel
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
I think it's great you're doing this, but it's "out there" where people aren't going to see it. Can i interest you in maintaining the games list (in the sticky of this forum), and linking to your review for each game as you review it next to the link to the game homepage?

It would get you a bit more exposure and get the community a better games list.
Sure.. I didn't even know there's a list there..
Will this get any better exposure though?
Shouldn't we make a dedicated game list thread? Or maybe just sticky this one?
Forum rules is not a very inviting topic, and putting the reviews under the forum rules section might give the wrong idea, that these reviews are somehow an official review..
If you sticky this thread, or make a new thread dedicated to a game list, it won't be "out there" anymore.

Originally Posted by ear0wax View Post
Way too much of your personal option is affecting the scores; and reviews are not fair.

Like for example, you said that BurgerSpace has 8bit graphics and terrible sound. Its a NES game knock off (see BurgerTime) so naturally its 8bit. Personaly I dont see how the graphics and sound affect this type of game.

I understand your aiming for Rating games based on the n900 gaming experance, But honestly if your going to rate the games on that fact alone, rate them on that only and dont deduct points from them for poor devolpment when the orginal game has not been remade JUST for the N900. For example try rating the controls, because as we all know that is the major short coming of most games we have for the N900 (unless of corse your using a Sixaxis or Wiimote) . Im not trying to be rude just my opinion.
I figured this would come up sooner or later, and while I agree these are only my opinions, you have to understand, the idea is not to review, but to give people a clue as to what these games are, and that's what I try to do. On the other hand I do try to represent the average n900 player, and I rated a lot of these puzzle games a bit higher than I wanted.
But, yes, it's not perfect, I'm the only one doing this and I'm not a professional reviewer.
At the end of the day I rate the general experience.. Graphics are a part of that. There are pretty 8 bit graphics by the way, I've got no problem with nes and snes games, but take a look at chrono trigger, and take a look at this thing...
Oh and I do rate the control, I call it compatibility.
And burger space is pretty bad.. Unless you like this kind of stuff..

Last edited by late666; 2010-02-24 at 10:41.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Good work.

My recommendations:
1. Mark whether games are in devel/testing/public or in a non-maemo.org repo.
2. If items are work in progress please mention this
3. Change the blog language from hebrew to english!
4. Maybe even include apps?

You could restructure the site to have a top 10 list of games?

Otherwise a great idea
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.