Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
question is, if its there, why is it disabled in the first place? especially as the earlier maemo devices got bluetooth keyboard (mouse was there but needed some graphics replaced as the bundled ones where empty) with the later firmwares (after someone hacked support into the 770 back in the day).

especially as the N900 got something that people wanted for their N8*0 for a long time, video out (there was even hints about lab experiments at nokia using data networks for transferring video data from a N8*0, but it never got released into the wild).

the N900 looks like some kind of 2 steps forward, 1 step back design. No usb otg (N8 has that), neutered bluetooth keyboard support (observe video). Its like nokia is competing with itself here.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
I feel your pain. On the flip side, at least the features of the new 'phones are improving and impressive. The video editing features of the N8 look pretty interesting.

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
What has him being an iPhone user got to do with his understanding the issue here once again ? Take a pot shot if you want but make a point at least while you are at it. Its not as if ysss using an iPhone precludes him from having used a Maemo device as well and understanding the issue ?

Whats next - me having used windows (in work) precludes me from saying or having an understanding of Linux ?
uh because the iphone has artificial hardware and software limitations and he uses it

AND

he beats his little iphone drum on every single negative thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
uh because the iphone has artificial hardware and software limitations and he uses it

AND

Hey quipper, if you want to take a jab at me for whatever reason WHILE you contribute to the discussion on a thread then I can handle that. Otherwise, do it here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=29242
(Or you can PM me.)

Also, please point out where I beat the little iphone drum outside iPhone-titled threads while you're at it. If you hate the iPhone that much then do yourself a favor and don't enter those kind of threads

ps: yes I use the iPhone 3GS... also a BB Bold... and also the N900... and also the iPad 3G *G*

@rest: sorry about this.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-06-17 at 17:09.

Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post

AND

He does own an n900, you know?

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
The Mouse and keyboard are cute, but
x11vnc
gives you that and a real keyboard and a real mouse and a giant screen and ...

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by lostinmirkwood View Post
The Mouse and keyboard are cute, but
x11vnc
gives you that and a real keyboard and a real mouse and a giant screen and ...
... and a desktop attached to them... and your point is?

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
... and a desktop attached to them... and your point is?
I'd rather have vnc, ssh and a punch in the stomach, than a bluetooth mouse and keyboard support.
I just feel that our connectivity options far exceed anything that past symbian devices had to offer.

Though having it as an option would be nice, I guess I could pull out the old SU-8W (Keyboard) I used with my N95. For the ultra-light road warrior I could see the need.

Last edited by lostinmirkwood; 2010-06-17 at 07:05.

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
To make the cursor appear just replace the cursor icon file (transp) in /usr/share/icons/default/cursors with one that shows up.
An entry in xorg.conf needs to be added to fix sensitivity.
I have no idea why this was disabled on release.

joerg_rw deduced from the schematics and the drivers that OTG was removed due to USB.org cert issues, it was a last minute thing, OTG was planned for the N900 from the start, but I guess due to people *****ing about delays they swapped USB ports and killed OTG.

Anyways, these are my opinions, as a previous Symbian user I can say the N8 won't bring me back to Symbian, and nor will Symbian^3.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
Is this one of those subtle jabs I've heard about?
There's nothing subtle about Jobs.

Sorry, obligatory rimshot and i'm out...

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful