Wasn't entirely sure which section I should put this, hopefully this works.

So, I play World of Warcraft. They have a "mobile authenticator" that is free to download from the apple istore and the Android Market. They also have a (I guess J2ME?) version that you can trick their servers into letting you download to your PC and then transfer to any phone.

Now, the N900 doesn't support J2ME as we know. But I came across this strange post on the guide on how to run the Authenticator on any device:
Topic

Scroll down to post 378:

N900 it works! I get it!

Normaly the N900 cant use JAVA but with "JavaBox" you can emulate .jar Files and if you download the .jar like the first post say you can start the Authenticator and use it on the N900 via JavaBox!

Battle.net also accepted the Code and now my Account is safe again!
So far, I have been a completely failure with Google on figuring out WTH he/she is talking about? What is JavaBox? Where would one get it? Is it really a possible solution for running J2ME or Java on the N900? Is there a working Java Emulator for ARM?

Or is this person crazy?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

You can install icedtea (open source version of Java SE) and microemulator (Java ME on Java SE) from extras-devel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CormacB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
By searching, I found this sentence:

If you want to run Java apps (or J2ME apps), you want to check out the package icedtea6 and microemulator. Do a forum search and you'll find a couple useful threads about both of these. Both have versions in extras-testing, and can be easily installed from there.

But I didn't see a mention of Javabox.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Thank you both.. I'll check them out.

ETA: Yeah I feel dumb.. I did a search for "java" and got nothing in the app manager but forgot to check in package descriptions too >.>.

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2010-05-17 at 15:29.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
I use both, and while microemulator isn't perfect, it handles 90% of the J2ME files I've thrown at it. The two killers appear to be Bluetooth support and anything trying to play midi files? As long as it's not doing those two things you're pretty safe.

This is also covered in my solutions thread, top post.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Ok, my bad. I went through quite a few posts http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...=&oq=&gs_rfai= in search from both the site search and google.. kept getting solutions that involved either easy debian or repartitioning and installing directly from debian repo's.

Neither solution very elegant. Somehow completely missed icedtea and microemulator.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I'm not really a games person (except for being a total chess fanatic), so though I have these installed, I haven't tried to use them yet...

Edit: We seem to be getting an insolent, experimental new generation here these days. They are assured that overclocking doesn't work and immediately start overclocking. They are told to stay away from the leaked firmware and they immediately switch to it. They are told that java is impossible and they install icetea6

There is even a thread claiming that Wine DOES work on the N900...

Last edited by geneven; 2010-05-17 at 15:38.

JavaBox seems to be based on OpenJDK and microemulator.
Look here for the package.
I have to agree that this anonymous deb package doesn't really sound trustworthy.

More specifically, this ARM version of it: http://camswl.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to tvogel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Edit: We seem to be getting an insolent, experimental new generation here these days. They are assured that overclocking doesn't work and immediately start overclocking. They are told to stay away from the leaked firmware and they immediately switch to it. They are told that java is impossible and they install icetea6
That's not entirely a bad thing.. it's just that when problems do arise they seem to want to point the finger at the wrong people.