Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Also posted in :
- the "The Future of Jolla's Tablet" topic;
- Together.Jolla.com as an idea;

How to save the Jolla Tablet and Sailfish OS ?

Jolla should make available choices for the community to finance Jolla & Sailfish OS :

1) Indiegogo campaing to finance Jolla :
* finishing the Jolla Tablet deliveries;
* further developing Sailfish OS 2.x for tablets;
* making Sailfish OS 2.x for tablet available as an image to install on one or two popular and available tablet(s) (with open bootloader, maybe Nexus 9, etc).

2) Indiegogo campaing to finance Jolla :
* further development of Sailfish OS in general;
* making Sailfish OS 2.x for other smartphones as an image to install on some popular and available smartphones (with open bootloader, like some Nexus 5/6, etc).

3) Alien Dalvik could be a paid option to whom want it in these non-Jolla smartphones & tablets.

I would pay for the 3 above options.

I think these initiatives could bring some millions of US$ to Jolla.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2015-11-25 at 13:59.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
The tablet doesn't interest me personally, but I would be definitely interested in getting a certified Sailfish build for a generic Android phone (I know this exists, but very often things are broken!) with regular updates/patches/features for a year.

Let's say we launch an IndieGogo (doesn't matter how it gets funded) and we get 50,000 backers willing to put €20 in for 1 year support?

That's €950,000 - is that chump change, or could it keep Sailfish alive?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
That's €950,000 - is that chump change, or could it keep Sailfish alive?
They need €10 million or thereabouts.

To OP: while the options are sound, you don't explain how they will make money - are these images going to be sold or will Jolla depend on further investment from igg/ks campaigns?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
What about a Opensource everything Jolla legally can target ?

Could have sub bounties/targets like:
  • adding the opensourced components to Mer bugzilla
  • documenting the released components
  • x months of infrastructure hosting costs
  • x months of bug triage meetings
  • designating maintainers for x packages

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
They need €10 million or thereabouts.

To OP: while the options are sound, you don't explain how they will make money - are these images going to be sold or will Jolla depend on further investment from igg/ks campaigns?
Jolla needs about EUR 10 miilion for each year of operation, AFAIK. So some miilions of EUR would save Jolla Tablet and keep Jolla alive for some months. With more users, then Jolla could be profitable in 2016.

The images for tablet and other smartphones would be free, but available after Jolla work to make them more finished (all features working, almost all sensors supported, simple to install and update, etc).

Jolla would colaborate with HADK developers, improving the effort to make Sailfish OS a serious mobile OS for some selected smartphones and tablets.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
The community could never raise €10M to keep Jolla alive as it is. Anyway, I am not sure it should, even if it could. What I am suggesting is that maybe there is a way we can keep SailfishOS (not Jolla the company) going on a lower budget. If we ditched corporate expenses like CEO's, office space, etc. perhaps we could keep Jolla going on a community basis (but with some paid developers)?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Czech Republic
Jolla should be more open to collaborate with community.
e.g. integrate our transifex project https://www.transifex.com/jozef-mlich/jolla-cesky/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xmlich02 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
The community could never raise €10M to keep Jolla alive as it is. Anyway, I am not sure it should, even if it could. What I am suggesting is that maybe there is a way we can keep SailfishOS (not Jolla the company) going on a lower budget. If we ditched corporate expenses like CEO's, office space, etc. perhaps we could keep Jolla going on a community basis (but with some paid developers)?
Office move is already ongoing.

Originally Posted by xmlich02 View Post
Jolla should be more open to collaborate with community.
e.g. integrate our transifex project https://www.transifex.com/jozef-mlich/jolla-cesky/
Yeah - I think ignoring people wanting to help is perhaps the biggest mistake Jolla did and it is definitely a contributing factor to the current dire situation.

Can Jolla still turn around or is it too late ? I guess we will see one way or the other - but finally letting people to help you could be the first step.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
As far as I understood from the last meeting log, it seems that in case of definitive Jolla closing, SFOS will be fully open (except that can't be open like Alien Dalvik and keyboard prediction).

In such case, as we're on TMO, I'm sure TMOers will get involved to maintain SFOS as some folks already do with Maemo.

At that time, I'll pay to keep this alive. I'm not interested in the tablet too, but I'm also ready to pay to have an official N5 image, not sure this would help Jolla.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
You want people who didn't buy a tablet to fund the delivery of the tablet to other people?

You'd have to be very community minded to do that!

IMHO, the important thing to salvage is the OS. I wouldn't fund anything unless it was to open source the OS, provide infrastructure, bug trackers and fund core development staff.

It's up to Jolla to make good on the delivery of tablets, not the community.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post: