Notices

Stumbled upon this while browsing around.

http://www.vavoom-engine.com/about.php

seems to be a combo of doom/heretic/hexen/strife ported into one, not to bothered about the doom part since we already have one. From what i can gather you just need to supply the main iwad files from the original game you have bought,

Thought it would be a intresting one to consider

id imagine like the prboom whatever wad you have in the folder it boots unless specified otherwise in xterm.

Interesting, they have their source available for download. I wonder how hard it would be to port it to the N900 and get it all optified and what not

Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
prBoom can run all those games too, and it's already ported
Just need to make a scrpit for each game

well yeah it could but he would have to write it from scratch, surely its easier just to port something thats already done that, plus id imagine the vavoom would have a wad selector at the startup so no messing around in root swapping wads or long xterm commands. cant see that it would just boot up a random wad when designed for mulitple games. just simplies everything. i cant actually install vavoom to check if it has. but ill float around thier forums,

also another point is people using vavoom seem to have enhanced graphics for doom/hexen not sure how that works, also plenty of tuts thier for level design. surely its better than starting from scratch when its just a click away already done just need to put the "icing on the cake"

EDIT: well no wad selector, but they've made short commands to launch

"If you have multiple IWADs, you can use command line params -doom, -doom2, -tnt, -plutonia, -heretic, -hexen or -strife to look for IWADs only for that game. Hexen requires a wad file from version 1.1."

also has quake-like console which is always a bonus, seems on the forums they are in the middle of getting mulitplayer functioning at a decent speed, low frame-rate atm.

Last edited by xFinal; 2010-03-19 at 18:08.

Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
OK, I'll try to compile it.
But I'm gonna need help making .deb package

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by xFinal View Post
also another point is people using vavoom seem to have enhanced graphics for doom/hexen not sure how that works, also plenty of tuts thier for level design. surely its better than starting from scratch when its just a click away already done just need to put the "icing on the cake"
That's why i ported prboom, which is, as it says in the description, "a source-faithful doom port"... for those who don't want to see garish bright red lipstick on their cherished pig.

I recall looking at vavoom when trying to decide which doom port to port to Maemo. I picked PrBoom in the end because it is compatible with a wide selection of custom wads designed for the original game and true to the original look and feel, and doesn't require OGL for good performance.

Fixed the title. There's no 'a' in possibility.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

and Prboom runs just fine, i thought this would be option for heretic/hexen since there isnt much about for porting, plus the fact that its combined means i dont need to have 4 different shortcuts/directories setup for them, plus the quake console is quite helpful since i can just bind keys via the console. plus theres the full multiplayer thats being worked on. not sure how compatable it would be ported once its up and running though.

any news on vavoom being ported to the n900? i know we have prboom but the music doesn't work plus it would be nice to play hexen and heretic

Originally Posted by Spotfist View Post
any news on vavoom being ported to the n900? i know we have prboom but the music doesn't work plus it would be nice to play hexen and heretic
I know it's not the first one but hexen2 is in extras now

ye I thats actually why I felt like playing hexen1 lol

I installed quake2 ony my phone and it was just not playable as you really need a mouse to look up and down, is hexen2 the same? I assume that anything after quake1 really needs a mouse...