Posts: 4 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Funland
After enabling extra-testing, I noticed that the yellow box started blinking. Xournal and Load-applet had new versions available. I assume from extra-testing side?

While I wait garage registration complete, very very slow, quick notes:

Xournal seems to work, thumbs up.

Load-app seems to require reboot :-/ My first reboot since getting N900 (been running it two weeks straight).

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Can we get this into the Wiki rather than lost in a thread?
It's a lot more time-consuming to edit the wiki, but i hacked most of that into the http://wiki.maemo.org/Help_testing_software page. I was going to just merge everything into extras-testing, but some of the material seemed a bit verbose and trivial for that page. If someone else can find a good way to consolidate everything into extras-testing and redirect the help-testing-software page to it, that would be great. Just remember that we need a concise but simple description of how to test. The extras-testing page is getting rather long, so the best bet might be to split it into one page describing the nature of the repo and how to add it, and put everything else into the qa checklist page it links to.

So much to do, so little time. Anyway, fresh pair of eyes now that i distilled that new info into the wiki would be good. We really do need a better/more complete testing guide.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
It would be helpful if the authors of those applications indicated if they were optified or not.

Edit: Some comments on those apps do tell you if it's optified or not. But it would be helpful if it was indicated in the overview itself.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2009-12-17 at 16:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
It would be helpful if the authors of those applications indicated if they were optified or not.

Edit: Some comments on those apps do tell you if it's optified or not. But it would be helpful if it was indicated in the overview itself.
Agree. Optified indicator would be very beneficial
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
What is "optified"? I assume its not "optimized" as everyone seems to use that term.

Clearly, if I don't even know that I should not be alpha/beta testing (see , I do know a couple of geek terms though)!

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Viipottaja View Post
What is "optified"? I assume its not "optimized" as everyone seems to use that term.

Clearly, if I don't even know that I should not be alpha/beta testing (see , I do know a couple of geek terms though)!
Being optified means it installs most stuff into /opt rather than / (rootfs), because the latter has very limited space available due to being on a 256MB flash chip. /opt, on the other hand, is on a 2GB partition on the internal memory card. Apps over 500kB are supposed to install mostly to /opt.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to floffe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Viipottaja View Post
What is "optified"?
there's a nice wiki page about that topic.

the current solution in place (referred to as "optification") is the second on that page... moving everythign >500kB to /opt.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Is there any sort of list of what tests are considered to have been pased when an app makes it from extras-devel to -testing?

Like is there a battery of automated tests run by Nokia/Maemo that can confirm simple go/no go before Testers start to look at a new build? What having lots of Testers looking at builds should be focused on is finding more in depth issues that a dev might not have anticipated. Aditionally it helps find if something behaves differently than expected on your specific device and configuration. Things like, are all dependencies there or, does an install go to where ALL apps are expected to go should be simple automated entry requirements and Testers should not be expected to have to worry about wasting their valuable time on code that doesn't meet this bar.

If this system of testing 'quality gates' doesn't exist now thats fine, but it would be nice to know the Nokia/Maemo plan to provide and how we can help once the resources are available.

thanks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hypoxic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Can we get this into the Wiki rather than lost in a thread?
Go right ahead!

If you don't I will later.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by hypoxic View Post
Is there any sort of list of what tests are considered to have been pased when an app makes it from extras-devel to -testing?

Like is there a battery of automated tests run by Nokia/Maemo that can confirm simple go/no go before Testers start to look at a new build? What having lots of Testers looking at builds should be focused on is finding more in depth issues that a dev might not have anticipated. Aditionally it helps find if something behaves differently than expected on your specific device and configuration. Things like, are all dependencies there or, does an install go to where ALL apps are expected to go should be simple automated entry requirements and Testers should not be expected to have to worry about wasting their valuable time on code that doesn't meet this bar.

If this system of testing 'quality gates' doesn't exist now thats fine, but it would be nice to know the Nokia/Maemo plan to provide and how we can help once the resources are available.

thanks
If we don't actually have this at present then I think we ought to at least get a list of manual checks together and then document a standard way of achieving this. automated testing could then be built from this framework.

Does anyone have a starting point on this. Not sure I will retain my sanity editing it direct on the Wiki but I can do it offline and paste in enbulk I suppose.

Tags
testing apps