Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by zero View Post

Also I think this may be more of an I/O problem to the MyDocs partition...

When i tried to install Driver (WebOS game) things always got screwed, untill i moved the source file outside of MyDocs and into plain /home/user , and installed it also not inside MyDocs; indeed it does seems to be some issue with heavy I/O inside MyDocs...

i tried the five-five, either it complains it couldn't reset the swap and then resets Hildon (not sure which ones, the desktop widgets load again but the status menu seems to only load the "safe mode" widgets), or it reboots the device, much sooner than it used to.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
That's very interesting. The people having reboots before are now having more severe system problems. This suggests there's a widget responsible.

I did try it once first changing the "desktop activity" (with Desktop Activity Manager) to one with no widgets in place; do you mean it's a status menu widget? Or what i did isn't enough to rule out desktop widgets? Do you want me to try manually removing each widget, rebooting and only then run the image installer?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
TiagoTiago: All I know is that if you close all of your apps, open a terminal and type "sudo swapoffon" and it reboots the device, there's something not right. The fact that the desktop seems to be responsible suggests that there's a widget or status plugin causing the problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Hi zero,

To me, this sounds as if you have more problems than just Easy Debian. Perhaps you have a third-party desktop widget that is misbehaving?

I've found that I can fsck the MyDocs partition without even unmounting it, unlike ext2 partitions.

Code:
fsck -fy /dev/mmcblk0p1
I thought it was safer to unmount but I guess FAT may not require it. I only have a few simple widgets:

conversations
recaller
calendar home (not maemo calendar)
personal IP address
connectnow
omweather
forecaweather

My status plugins are more complex but I don't have time to remove each one individually right now. I'll try later if nobody has found anything by the time I am more free.

advanced power
advanced clock
tor
openvpn
simple brightness
flashlight
wifi switcher
3g/2g dual mode switch
cssu - orientation lock (but set to auto)

Is there a way to temporarlly disable widgets and status plugins one by one? ("temporarilly disable" as in not having to reinstall them to get them back)

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
That's very interesting. The people having reboots before are now having more severe system problems. This suggests there's a widget responsible.

Before checking out version 0.9.55 of Easy Debian I thought I'd try downloading the compressed version of the Debian image again and installing it just to see if I have any problems. It seems to have installed properly. I then, using synaptic, successfully installed wxmaxima, which is fairly sizeable and has quite a few dependencies. So at this point I do not seem to have the reboot problem. I do not have many widgets (opera, microb, and forecaweather). I also have DTG, Sygic, cutetube and some stuff from OVI. I have been too timid to OC and I have not installed the Enhanced Linux kernal for power users or CSSU.
Hopefully, this information helps home in on the problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
mscion: have you installed "Swappolube"?

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
mscion: have you installed "Swappolube"?
Ah, yes, I forgot to mention that one! I currently have it installed, I had tried it a few times using the recommended settings but did not see any noticable improvement although I didn't time things carefully (I tested it with cutetube, opera and I also tried opening Easy Debian LXDE and Open Office from the maemo desktop). Anyways, I did not make the recommended settings permanent so I was using the n900 default setting when I did the downloads of EasyDebian and wxmaxima. I also did not try renicing or anything like that as discussed before. Although you are problably thinking of something more subtle that is related to some widget, if it is helpful, to check for rebooting, I can do the same again but with Swappolube's recommended settings.

BTW, if you know, could you suggest a simple thing I can try to see the benefit of Swappolube as I clearly do not understand how to take advantage of it. Does anything, at least in theory, work better on Easy Debian when the recommended settings are used? Even if it is not useful for me I probably would not delete it because the icon is so cute!

Last edited by mscion; 2011-04-27 at 17:50.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze