Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
@gerbick

a bit dramatic don't you think? sounds a bit like a hollywood script.
i was a day 1 buy for the n900, i'm not well off, never have been. i saved alot of my wages to build my own pc and at the time it was "ok" not great because i couldn't afford better. i dabbled in red hat 4 linux but bit complicated with getting hardware working. the point being i like alot of people missed out on the previous maemo itterations. be that there was lack of marketing or lack of funds. i was aware of linux for mobile devices being developed but thats as far as i could go.

what you have said is exactly what your complaining about. discrimination. you are discriminating against people who are new. not from your privlaged ITT days. your arguements are baseless. i didn't see droves of people shouting down with GTK+ and telling you to get out cuz your not n900 owner and doing all the other things you mention.

i see people who are new to maemo and linux and some are annoying and don't know how to search for themselves but there are many many more who aren't like that.
Change is going to happen. one way or another things change. you can either roll with the waves or waste all your life resisting and being bitter about it and sounding like a grumpy old man.
there are plenty of people who are hatefull, hate on the old,hating on the new, demanding and fanatics, these people are all over the place, old and young, hardcore and noobs, don't let yourself turn into any of them. don't waste life on negitive things, it's alot easier to put something down then it is to praise. very easy to criticize and make humours jokes at someone's or something's expense but it's harder to appreciate and praise where credit is due (well it's not as fun not so much as in hard)

i know you don't like the direction things have taken but see what you can take out of it for yourself. ask if there's anything you can do to make it any different. look at the people making the CSSU, and as mentioned above trying to get the maemo UI on meego. these people may not like the way things have gone but their doing something about it. they're not venting frustrations on threads about how back in the old days things were different and how things should be now. help keep maemo alive and that includes maemo 5 and harmattan. even meego, keep it going. let people see how good it is to do something for themselves instead of a push 1 button app to do it for them.

not all aimed at you btw, and it's not ment to offend, you do have interesting post's when your not poking at people for fun. just it's late and no time for cleaning up my post.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to smegheadz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The majority has always considered outsiders inherently rude and considered rudeness toward them justifiable. I don't think that is increasing, but it isn't decreasing either.

There are old lines that might apply to Linux users:

How a minority
Come to authority
Hates a minority.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by smegheadz View Post
@gerbick

a bit dramatic don't you think?
Nope. It's true. When the folks with the N810 got their machines, the N800 owners started their hate. I skipped from the 770 to the N810, and came here because I was curious about the 770 initially, then bought the N810 on day one. It's not about discrimination - not for me. I'm just paying attention to what seems to be going on.

Dramatic? No. Just recording what I saw. Don't worry about offending me, takes a lot to do so.

It's just a bit of geek envy per iteration of Maemo. No worries though, that's all coming to an end. I'll get to see the folks have some form of envy over the next iteration of <insert device> - it happens.

Not that I'm a fan of it. But it does seem that each iteration of the Maemo devices did bring a rowdier crowd with it.

Regardless, I'm just a 4 year ol' vet here (as of this month) and have caught hell from all aspects from not having a N900, to when I got one, I got one later. Funny how geeks are. The more they know or accept something, they turn all "IT'S ALL MINE!" on you and then tell you to RTFM or you're a n00b.

Angry people. They exist. Not sure why yet though.

Last edited by gerbick; 2011-07-27 at 01:31.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I think the OP was merely refering to senseless posts and accompanying attitudes? Someone posted a reply with a lmgtfy a few weeks ago, which I thought was quite funny - we all need to ask for help from time to time but when zero thought has been given to the question...Well, we all have bad days but some posts are sitting ducks!

Incidentally, the last big kick-off was around Easter time (when Stskeeps eventually left). My hunch is many of the antagonists are school age, so now it's summer they'll all come flocking out again.
This is just a guess; I don't know for sure.
@K.O.B. - I see you're from antipodean parts so the thought of summer holidays may not have occured?

As for new users - well, bring-em on! Maemo is great and by reading content on maemo.org/TMO/mwkn one's knowledge and enjoyment of the device increases. Also, for many a first step on the linux path, which is also good. Just so long as they're polite!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
...Angry people. They exist. Not sure why yet though.
Nice way to word this observation.

Just now under the stalking by a psychopath,
and reading up on the mental disorders
of narcissists, sociopaths, and their ilk.
(bear in mind these are spectrums of debilitation
- not binary true/false definitions of personality)

I just finished devising a very revealing method for
quantifying the degree of a narcissistic personality disorder,
and would like to do the same for sociopaths,
who share some of the same characteristics.

I suspect a public forum actually reveals a lot about
who has personality issues... .

funny thing is - there should be apps programs
for voice stress analysis, skin blush detection,
nervous muscle reactions and other such physiological things
but that's another story altogether.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
It'll be interesting to see how many new users the N9 will bring here, because there won't be any 'official' links between that product and this community, will it?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
open source society does not talk about minority or majority besides it is only a matter of contructive talk NOT the destructive one ..
@ysss
yeah it will be interesting as how the community responds ,i wonder if there isnt any official link,why would this site be supported by nokia ?
meego users have a great excuse to have it here and debate about it cuz nokia some where stated it as MAEMO 6 ,so its all here .
i was wondering once N9 launches and approaches here on this community ,what will be left for N900 or N8x0 ..will there be any space ?
anyhow to me ,even this thread is like i am wasting my words cuz in the end its the TMOs who gonna decide whether a thread should be started or discarded ..hopes for the best and vote for constructive talk .

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
It'll be interesting to see how many new users the N9 will bring here, because there won't be any 'official' links between that product and this community, will it?
At present, there are no plans for an official connection between this community and the N9. But that does not rule out that there may be some Harmattan related open source software from community members here.

Is this one of the signs of the impending 2012 apocalypse?

Yes.

on the timing, i can only propose that it takes about this long for information about niche, good quality products to filter down into the mainstream sludge... maybe? hohoho

(your rant made me smile hehe

The Following User Says Thank You to fusi For This Useful Post:
Re: Increase in rude and/or ignorent people lately
Yes. And you are contributing.

The Following User Says Thank You to fms For This Useful Post: