Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I have simple .avi files that nor Mplayer nor Gstreamer read here. I only have sound with both players on these files. With VLC (which I finally successfully installed, my problem had nothing to do with PR 1.3), they are correctly played and it is smooth enough. Subtitles work fine too. The only problem is that I don't know how to switch from fullscreen back to windowed mode, a double tap won't do anything. Any idea welcome here.

The combination of KMplayer (although I hate this GUI) and VLC is thus useful, but I'd like a better GUI for Mplayer to be honest, like SMplayer (which existed on the N900, perhaps a port would be possible).

i seconded open video player as well,i had the same problem as as thread starter, but once I switched to OVP, I no longer face the same prob.
Edit : just tries out kmplayer, wow the resolution is much better !!! Now I realized OVP display bad resolution for clips around 480p.

Last edited by kai_en; 2012-07-14 at 03:25.

Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
The combination of KMplayer (although I hate this GUI) and VLC is thus useful, but I'd like a better GUI for Mplayer to be honest, like SMplayer (which existed on the N900, perhaps a port would be possible).
I wonder why are you sharing this information, or lack thereof. Could you not just give your nr 1 reason of for your hate feeling? As such, waste of bandwidth IMO.

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Barbados/London
no one can do a codec pack like the n900 "extra decoders"?

The Following User Says Thank You to RobertHall For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by koos View Post
I wonder why are you sharing this information, or lack thereof. Could you not just give your nr 1 reason of for your hate feeling? As such, waste of bandwidth IMO.
Well, that's just a matter of taste, I just speak for myself. I don't like the KMplayer GUI because I find it to lack too much features (I'd like a regular menu button somewhere to access more mplayer functions, such as subtitles delays and so on), it also lacks a play/pause button, and I don't like the fact that I have to go back to the previous screen (with entries like Current file, Favorites, WorldTV99 and Most recent files displayed in front of the video) to access the progress bar. A progress bar showing up in the bottom of the video with a simple tap, like in OVP, would be simpler and more handy, in my opinion. But again, that's just my opinion and that's already what I said in my previous post. Everybody won't think the same, but it would still be better if we had more choices for the players, like we had with the N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 132 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ New Jersey
Originally Posted by Zas View Post
I prefer Open Video Player to kmplayer. Only there sometimes is a problem when you close it so it will just turn invisible and prevent you from opening it or playing videos but a simple "killall openvideoplayer" in terminal will fix it.
Thanks for the recommendation, but I've had OVP for a long time now and I haven't been able to find a single video it will play that the Stock Video Player doesn't. OVP doesn't play any of the videos I was referring to before, but it does play the audio strangely enough(even stranger is it says "Video format not suitable: Skipping" but it continues to play the audio anyway). KMPlayer at least gives me some glimpse of hope with the choppy video it displays.

Check out:
pyRadio-A Pandora Client

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ New Jersey
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Well, that's just a matter of taste, I just speak for myself. I don't like the KMplayer GUI because I find it to lack too much features (I'd like a regular menu button somewhere to access more mplayer functions, such as subtitles delays and so on), it also lacks a play/pause button, and I don't like the fact that I have to go back to the previous screen (with entries like Current file, Favorites, WorldTV99 and Most recent files displayed in front of the video) to access the progress bar. A progress bar showing up in the bottom of the video with a simple tap, like in OVP, would be simpler and more handy, in my opinion. But again, that's just my opinion and that's already what I said in my previous post. Everybody won't think the same, but it would still be better if we had more choices for the players, like we had with the N900.
And I absolutely agree with you, KMPlayer can be a bit of a pain to use, but it works. The GUI is definitely confusing at first glimpse and just understanding their paradigm on searching and selecting videos takes a while to understand. The landing screen seems pointless because you just jump into lists of folders and doesn't really make good use of the screen real estate. Like you said, it's a matter of taste and clearly the Dev went "Function over Form" which is fine because the software does work.

PS: Any advice on getting that VLC installation to work correctly on PR 1.3, Kabouik?

Check out:
pyRadio-A Pandora Client

Originally Posted by The Arsonist View Post
PS: Any advice on getting that VLC installation to work correctly on PR 1.3, Kabouik?
Sure. I don't remember exactly what prevented me to install VLC but I do remember I felt like a dumb when I realized why it was not working. Just try this first and report here the error you have, if any (but it may just install correctly), perhaps it will help me to remember.

Don't expect VLC to be very useable though. I find it less choppy than KMplayer, but when you're in fullscreen, I think you're stuck in it with no possibility to pause or return in windowed-glitchy-mode (unless you have a N950 with keyboards to use shortcuts).

Last edited by Kabouik; 2012-07-17 at 21:59.

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by The Arsonist View Post
Thanks for the recommendation, but I've had OVP for a long time now and I haven't been able to find a single video it will play that the Stock Video Player doesn't. OVP doesn't play any of the videos I was referring to before, but it does play the audio strangely enough(even stranger is it says "Video format not suitable: Skipping" but it continues to play the audio anyway). KMPlayer at least gives me some glimpse of hope with the choppy video it displays.
Interesting, because only yesterday I was about to pull my eyes out when I realised that (despite PR1.3) still can not play videos well in the stock player. I have a whole bunch of .avi movies that I downloaded (but never watched) for my N900. Those that I did watch played, well, perfectly, as one would expect. These very same vids play badly on my N9, freezing very breifly every 5 frames or so.

So I did a bit of research and googling and installed OVP and it plays all of those vids I couldn't play before, and without stuttering. SWEET.

I'll be honest and say I didn't read enough about mplayer, kmplayer etc, but once I get my head round what is needed for that I'll give it a go as well.

Does anyone know of a step-by-step for mplayer etc? For those of us not too familiar/comfortable with having to input lines of code in terminal just to watch a film or tv show.

Thanks

If you just want to play the video without subtitles or anything particular, I think it's something quite simple like "mplayer /path/to/file.avi". You'll find the commands easily on the Internet, including perhaps how to control the playback using the terminal.

By the way, I think it's smoother when using only mplayer like that than when using KMplayer. Anyone could confirm?

The Following User Says Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post: