Originally Posted by saleki View Post
well, I'm so sad that my country isn't on the list and I can't register normally.
I'm impressed with the device specs and the other half, but it's to big compared to n9. that's my only negative criticism.
you can NOT pre-order a customized "other half" whatever that will be
you can however pre-order a standard device (as everyone will be able to buy, eventually) or even a device and a t-shirt

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
So i was told to chill out and wait.
Now i know it has two parts and some features of second part.
But real specs, no info on plans of support/updates ( maybe it's only beta device and in 3 months they would release new one and stop support of that one, or would they update all the lines as long as it's possible)
What countries will get at all? (if shipping will be available at all and if yes in what time(not exact but at least QX of 201X)
who told you that ?!?
they promised to deliver devices in Q4 2013
[edit]
to Europe & China (telecom partner?) 1st...
are you able to "pre-orcer" just the devce from where you are (if you are not in Europe)?
(if you pre-order only the device, you don't have to pay anything upfront, you simply indicate your interest)
[/edit]

there even is rumour of a 2nd (cheaper?) device in 2014 (no further indication, but that's not surprising for a rumour)

what are you moaning again about "not" supported device?
nobody (outside of Jolla) will get a device for now, so there are no device to support
understand?
and obviously, there is no telling what bezel the final device will have, if any.
or camera, or flash, of battery or even Processor.
or resolution.

thus, again, chill-out
we saw a proof of concept today, that's all

Last edited by misterc; 2013-05-20 at 20:18. Reason: shipping to

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
[...]
2) real multitasking available at the GUI, with animated miniatures of the running softwares, something seen only in Maemo, MeeGo Harmattan, BlackBerry;
[...]
in a couple videos i saw, one of which from a link on this thread, today, Marc even shows that the minimized applications can be interacted with.
he paused, started playing again, skipped song while the media player was still "small" and other (running) apps visible on the grid

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
No spec given of the SoC I guess this has todo with the latest announcement from STEricsson and now Jolla searching for another ARM with similar specs...
Doubt it, & I sincerely hope not.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
[...]
For starters, they really really really should work on having an image for the N9. Boom, instant expanded ecosystem: more people with Sailfish on their hands. This is one thing Nokia NEVER GOT RIGHT, nor anyone else.
[...]
I completely agree with you on this point. Since Jolla has been showing Sailfish running on N950s for months, I'm baffled by their decision not to release N9 and N950 images so that they could instantly absorb part of our Maemo community. The explanation that it would somehow be illegal strikes me as BS. It's still not too late for them to do it, and we could be developing apps and giving them feedback on the software in advance of their late 2013 device sales. But for some reason Jolla seems a lot less interested in us than we are in them. That's puzzling, because my paycheck doesn't depend on Jolla being successful.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Since Jolla has been showing Sailfish running on N950s for months, I'm baffled by their decision not to release N9 and N950 images so that they could instantly absorb part of our Maemo community. The explanation that it would somehow be illegal strikes me as BS.
Interesting exchanges I saw with a MeR dev quite a few wks ago:
__________________________________________________ ________
xxxx: finishing touches on wayland on top of android drivers, for future non-android systems enjoyments
xxxx: but also at the same time, it's obvious the whole jolla movement thing has started a wave that may make the gadget choice quite interesting
xxxx: non-android is suddenly feasible again thanks to our libhybris
xxxx: as we can suddenly put our stacks everywhere
__________________________________________________ ________
xxxx: i can give you the answer here if that's OK: the SDK only contains X86 binaries
xxxx: so you're only seeing it on stuff like exopc and acer iconia tab
xxxx: did you see the iconia tab video?

yyyy: why no option for arm binaries or virtualisation, is that because vendors simply wont provide them for sailfish, hence the need for libhybris?

xxxx: well, there's virtualization but it's x86 virtualisation – the target of SDK is being an SDK
xxxx: and at this point we're not providing ARM binaries until there's a target that people can run ARM builds on
xxxx: the SDK isn't terribly good as a basis for making device ports with anyway

yyyy: So why no ARM binaries? And why only x86 virtualisation? (the later does not matter so much I imagine)

xxxx: two things really: ARM emulators are slow and doesn't provide very good performance in both CPU and OpenGL

yyyy: so why not pick a bunch of targets yonks ago like canonical has been dong, some high profile android handsets etc.

xxxx: and in 99% cases, building an app / porting it to ARM is a matter of flicking a switch, so, we give a good developer experience using a X86 'emulator' – it's really quite good, if you didn't try it already

yyyy: but canonical's approach seems clever to me, seems to garner way more developer/community interest by making their image available on "actual devices," rather than SDK only

xxxx: it seems to mostly backfire actually
xxxx: ubuntu touch channels are filled up with people who can't get it working on their devices, not app developers
xxxx: i fully agree with you that it's a good idea, but there's a couple of legal issues with providing completely ready images for other devices

yyyy: meaning $$$/time required, which Jolla thinks it cant afford, unlike canonical?

xxxx: ok, there's a very simple reason: the current public stack is qt4/x11 and it can't leverage magic new things like libhybris
xxxx: because you'd have to be on qt5/wayland (or surfaceflinger in ubuntu's case) to really take full advantage of it
xxxx: ubuntu's solution, in practice, is android, with ubuntu in a chroot
xxxx: it doesn't even use upstart, it's a tech demo

yyyy: oh those ubuntu images were all done with a much older stack werent they, before they announced usage of mir/libhybris etc, before they moved mostly to their own entire stack vs a mostly android-based one?

xxxx: mir isn't in use in any of their images yet, and they used libhybris from start
xxxx: what they did, practically, was take libhybris behind doors, make interfacing to android's Surfaceflinger (window manager/compositor) and add a QML ui on top

yyyy: yep

xxxx: and that was their tech demo and they sold the hell out of that

yyyy: so will he 1st major release of Sailfish be based on qt5/wayland, or that's not coming till next year right?

xxxx: we'll see

yyyy: So whenever it does come out, it will be much easier to do the sort of stuff canonical has been doing. i.e. at least 2-3 images for some of the most high profile android devices

xxxx: right, just note http://pastie.org/7736334
xxxx: so it can't ever be a truly pretty experience

yyyy: So as canonical are slowly moving away from what's mostly an android-based solution, they're going to have exactly the same problems as you guys anyway, right?

xxxx: probably, i think it's probably possible to do development builds, but it's really a matter of how you approach it
xxxx: you don't want to have a situation where 1) people wouldn't buy the actual device or 2) that the focus is more on hw hacking than sw development
xxxx: (this is just my personal opinion)
xxxx: with all the building blocks, mer, libhybris, etc, i encourage people to do all this stuff so we get all these building blocks field tested

yyyy: i guess that one of the main reasons why you guys are scared of proving some imge for android devices, as a large part of your revenue model depends on selling your own device, but I really think it could significantly boost sailfish/nemo profile & hacking community

xxxx: i don't disagree

yyyy: hopefully you move quickly towards providing at least 2-3 images for some of the most popular devices, "once" you're much closer to a Sailfish based on Qt5/wayland

xxxx: let's see, it might be a matter that people need to self-assemble images themselves

yyyy: I imagine that'll prolly be long after your 1st device it out anyway… so you'll have less to worry about with regards to potential sales being cannibalised

xxxx: so far we've (as in community) validated libhybris-wayland on intel SGX, allwinner mali, hp touchpad qualcomm adreno..
xxxx: so it's looking good so far

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-05-21 at 05:01.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
I completely agree with you on this point. Since Jolla has been showing Sailfish running on N950s for months, I'm baffled by their decision not to release N9 and N950 images so that they could instantly absorb part of our Maemo community. The explanation that it would somehow be illegal strikes me as BS. It's still not too late for them to do it, and we could be developing apps and giving them feedback on the software in advance of their late 2013 device sales. But for some reason Jolla seems a lot less interested in us than we are in them. That's puzzling, because my paycheck doesn't depend on Jolla being successful.
see my post on Jolla Sailfish Is stunning! Now on video! thread about «Jolla doesn't care about...»

in another post on this thread someone asked about other hardware partner
considering how miserable m$ device sales are, maybe Jolla hopes to get NOKIA on board as a manufacturer?
then it makes sense not to offend NOKIA
once Flop terminated and the m$ disaster sunk (in), NOKIA will be scrambling to get another OS for their future & as long as Jolla is not an openly trade / quoted company, co-operation (rather then plain dumb acquisition) may be the only way to go

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Ha, I never thought I would live to see this. Congratulations Jolla Cool device. It may be my next phone, it only depends on how the Nokia EOS turns out to be

and i hope, jolla can release sailfish os for N9, i want to feel it, and will consider to buy it later.

need a Guest House for temporary stay at Malaysia?
PM me

Originally Posted by specc View Post
Ha, I never thought I would live to see this. Congratulations Jolla Cool device.
A mea culpa would be nice, given your epic trollyness in the past

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
The Mer/Nemo images for Nokia N9/N950 already provides part of Sailfish OS to test and develop softwares. Mer/Nemo SDK and Sailfish OS SDK allow to develop to Sailfish OS.

I think that if Jolla release ARM images for N9/N950 or Sailfish SDK ARM files before Jolla smartphone is on the market, some chinese copycat smartphone maker could steal a lot of code & binaries and even release a smartphone before.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red