is it true that Nokia N9 supports Java midp-2.1 (some site says it supports java midp-2.1 & some says it supports java script)
if true can anyone upload screenshots or screencasts of it... & does it supports 3d gaming

also if true can it be ported to N900

P.s - i'l post a video of java on N9 as soon as i find it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 233 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hungary
nope, doesn't support java midp

The Following User Says Thank You to Andy1210 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
gsmarena says it does

Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
I don't know about N9, but I think it's just like N900 in this respect.

Although N900 doesn't support J2ME out of the box. there is MicroEmulator, which is available on the repositories. This can run a few J2ME applications

Note that ME will not necessarily run all types of midlets. I have successfully used a number of them, and have had only one or two fail.

I should assume that porting some jvm to the N9 will be possible, unless, of course, there is restriction from security features in the N9

Last edited by sicelo; 2011-10-08 at 09:11. Reason: Noticed that thread refers to N9, not N900

The Following User Says Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qhubekela View Post
N900 doesn't support J2ME out of the box. to make it work, you need to install MicroEmulator, which is available on the repositories.

Note that ME will not necessarily run all types of midlets. I have successfully used a number of them, and have had only one or two fail.
thanks for reply..
what about 3d games?
does multitouch brings a better experience with new ME skin?

I dont really know much about this stuff, but I cam fully verify that Java SE 7 (for embedded) can be run on the N9. Attached are a few screenshots. I haven't given the ME edition a swing yet.

I don't think this can be distributed as per Sun's licensing, so maybe just a guide is the best way to go. I also dont know how to do the whole plugin for fennec yet (there isn't even a fennec plugin folder like in other versions' guide to Java-fication).

I'm sure someone who doesn't flail around violently in the terminal (hell I even managed to break aegis so badly a few times that I stopped getting the warning message on boot using the openkernel)

The key (no pun intented) limitation right now, is that I dont know how to provision/enable the virtual keyboard (for example, when running tightvnc's jar client)

----

PS - Big props to RZR, who's repo is the only reason I can do anything neat on this device. I noticed that your rdesktop said "todo fullscreen", but if you just run as rdesktop <hostname> -g 854x480 -c 16 -D -f, you get a very usable fullscreened experience. However, the lack of a keyboard for non-950ers like me mean using the OSK from Windows, which is obviously ballz.. and Windows8DeveloperPreview seems to rdp to a blackscreen. And there's something wrong with libssl-1.0.0.deb's postinst script (required by rdesktop), which I elegantly solved by deleting said file
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sophiophile For This Useful Post:
Ooooh... so after passing credentials via commandline to the tightvnc.jar. Not only does JavaSE work, but it works fantastically. I had previously been using a HTML5 websockets proxy to get VNC client functionality with non-RDP/windows systems on the N9 (which obviously couldn't use java acceleration), and it was just horrible

In contrast, using tightvnc's java client is fantastically fast/responsive, ignoring the issue of no native virtual keybard support (perhaps someone here can turn me on to a solution).

Screenshot shows MS-paint (containing another screenshot), and the lil' menubar from TightVNC.
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sophiophile For This Useful Post:
@sophiophile
first of all thanks for ur contribution..
i would like you to have a look at Kemulator

its one of the best j2me emulator for Pc Win32/64... but what i noticed is a big kemulator.jar file in its installation folder, which i think is working with J2SE...
so is it possible to port Kemulator to N9/N900...

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by sophiophile View Post
In contrast, using tightvnc's java client is fantastically fast/responsive, ignoring the issue of no native virtual keybard support (perhaps someone here can turn me on to a solution).
To N9 users (without physical keyboard), one solution is to pass parameters (host, etc) in command line :
$ java -jar tightvnc-jviewer.jar <IP-ADDRESS>::5900

Even without controls, this TightVNC Java solution is the 1st VNC client solution for MeeGo Harmattan (as far as I know).

Thanks for the how-to install of Java SE and use of TightVNC Java.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
About running Java MIDP (midlets) on Nokia N9 :

- follow :
http://forum.meego.com/showpost.php?...4&postcount=20
to install Java SE;

- download MicroEmulator from :
http://snapshot.microemu.org/microemulator/download/
Unzip it and copy the directory to your Nokia N9, e.g., '/home/user/Java/microemulator-3.0.0', creating the '~/Java' directory before.

- run the MicroEmulator on Nokia N9 :
$ cd ~/Java/
$ java -jar microemulator-3.0.0/microemulator.jar
Follow :
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=789909
to download and install some MicroEmulator skins tailored for Nokia N900 (also useful for N9).

- to run a 'midlet.jar' :
$ java -jar microemulator-3.0.0/microemulator.jar midlet.jar
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post: