do they ever plan to implement this in the future? or is it something a programmer can fix? sort of annoying to zoom in and not have everything fit in the page.

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
There was supposedly a shortcut for turning on the reflow, lemme find it...

Originally Posted by archzai View Post
do they ever plan to implement this in the future? or is it something a programmer can fix? sort of annoying to zoom in and not have everything fit in the page.
Reflow = Ctrl + Shift + i

http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/10/th...he-nokia-n900/

More shortcuts:
http://nokiaexperts.com/tips-shortcu...00-user-guide/

Keyboard shortcuts

IMHO, keyboard shortcuts are needed on QWERTY keyboard devices to help justify the compromise in size of the device and the N900 has a few shortcuts that you may find useful. Did you notice in my photos that there is a real Ctrl key on the N900? Kudos to Nokia for including this since so many times we see this missing from QWERTY keyboard devices. Here are some shortcuts found in the User Guide: General
  • Ctrl + Backspace: From within an application this will take you back out to the visual task manager. (Thanks to Chanse for that one.)
  • Ctrl + C: Copy text
  • Ctrl + V: Paste text
  • Ctrl + X: Cut text
  • Ctrl + A: Select all
  • Ctrl + O: Open (if available)
  • Ctrl + N: Create a new item (if available)
  • Ctrl + S: Save (if available)
  • Ctrl + Z: Undo (if available)
  • Ctrl + Y: Redo (if available)
  • Ctrl + F: Open search bar (if available)
  • Ctrl + Right arrow: Move the insertion point to the end of the word
  • Ctrl + Left arrow: Move the insertion point to the beginning of the word
These are all great Matt, but how the heck do I select text in the first place? You can use the shift key (far left) and the directional arrows on the keyboard to select text. Or you can use the stylus and double tap for a word or triple tap for all words in a document to select. Web browser
  • Ctrl + N: Open a new window
  • Ctrl + R: Reload the current page
  • Ctrl + B: Open a bookmark
  • Ctrl + D: Add a bookmark
Email
  • Ctrl + Enter: Send a message
  • Ctrl + R: Reply to a message
RSS Reader
  • Ctrl + R: Refresh the feed
Screenshots
  • Ctrl + Shift + P: Capture a screenshot. Warm up those fingers first to try this out. (Thanks Nokia Experts reader Matti for the tip.)
Miscellaneous tips

Circle zooming: I found that a double tap on text in the web browser zooms you into that text and reflows it for the display. However, I also found you can spin your finger clockwise on the display to zoom in or counterclockwise to zoom out through multiple zoom levels. I plan to show this in a video soon so you can understand what I am talking about here, but it is pretty slick. Browser history swipe: You can quickly view your browser history (virtual history supported) by simply swiping your finger from the right off outside the viewable display to the left onto the display.

Smart dialing with QWERTY: The N900 supports smart dialing with the QWERTY keyboard so you can simply start entering a person’s name on the keyboard and have your Contacts filtered to that name. You then simply tap the selected contact you can interact with them how you desire (call, text, Skype, email, etc.).

Make a call from Conversations
: You can tap and hold on a text message conversation to see a pop-up appear so you can initiate a call with your contact.

Use Nokia Maps without data connection: Just like Nokia Maps for S60 devices you can load up maps into memory and use Nokia Maps and your GPS without a data connection when traveling.

Last edited by johnnyrockets911; 2009-11-25 at 06:25.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnnyrockets911 For This Useful Post:
oh thanks a lot, great to know that. how come i dont see many people using that option though. weird.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I'm interested in how good this built-in Reflow is. It's a very important feature to me.

Check out this other way to get there, Readability. I use it all the time on the Tear browser in Diablo (Maemo 4). If it works as great as it does on the N8x0 tablets, it ought to be great on the N900.

How do you think it compares to the built-in reflow?

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
For me this Crtl + Shift + i worked only on 1 website, but didn't work on others. Is there a permanent solution? I see that about:config is available on N900 too, but I don't want to crsh my browser.

Originally Posted by johnnyrockets911 View Post
Reflow = Ctrl + Shift + i

http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/10/th...he-nokia-n900/

More shortcuts:
http://nokiaexperts.com/tips-shortcu...00-user-guide/

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
"Reflow = Ctrl + Shift + i"

Jeesh, why not two keys to spare the finger acrobatics?

How are meaty paws or sausage fingers going to do the "Ctrl + Shift" part?

Finger Twister!

Seriously, WHY three keys?

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-12-03 at 18:14.

Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Seriously, WHY three keys?
Emacs mafia?

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by txbx View Post
For me this Crtl + Shift + i worked only on 1 website, but didn't work on others. Is there a permanent solution? I see that about:config is available on N900 too, but I don't want to crsh my browser.
Have you ever browsed webpages with a window only, say, 640 pixels wide? Try it sometime and see what happens...

The problem is that a lot of webpages are designed for a fixed (or at least minimal) width, and they don't support narrower (reflowed) text below that.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
So is anyone inclined to report back how Readability works/looks on the N900? I should expect the answer to be: Great!