Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I think I can only jealous about Apple, they seems to do every marketting RIGHT

http://news.mingpao.com/cfm/Search2.cfm?Keyword=iPad , may require a subscription to read.... the following is a Google translation, one can still guess the content

========================================
Ming Pao, a HongKong Chinese newspaper, Apple's iPad, not only shocked the Tablet PC sector, but even the car audio industry has a great impact, because in the April 3 iPad listed on the same day, California, a car audio company SoundMan Car Audio, immediately iPad transplant car above is the original car, Toyota Tacoma farmers large LCD touch panel head removed, and then position the center console to increase sound box fitted iPad. And because the body iPad thin, so installation is fully fit spaces. Voice connection, will iPad split on an Onkyo ND-S1 digital music processor, the iPad the sound system into car audio formats, and then split on a Audison Bit One controller, to adjust the volume, quality and all the speaker's voice allocation, and finally connected to the top of the McIntosh MCC406M amplifiers, will iPad instead of the traditional car audio head, not only more convenient storage and broadcast songs, watch films of the screen is bigger, for the first time join the PC in the car's features, such as the Internet and word processing, would soon wave of Hong Kong would follow the example of one owner.
==============================================

If I drive a lot, and with a good dataplan, this is, kind of, fun. No flash though, still not up to N900 standard . Well, when it is on the road, iPad's slightly larger sreen, approximately 15 N900s, does help

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-04-10 at 13:05.

actually I am starting to believe that any apple product that is not 'complete' as in doesn't have a lot of options like for example multitasking and/or for example a more than 3.2mp camera or so on...is part of their marketing.
I think that in a couple of years apple is going to release the ultimate product or mobile phone, after they have sucked enough money from their fanboys/girl.

>the above post is purely based on the author's (Delta) own opinions/views.

I hope they won't go into diamond business.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Apple will never release any products that the majority of the users here deem 'feature complete'. It's a completely different market...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Apple will never release any products that the majority of the users here deem 'feature complete'. It's a completely different market...
While I agree, I wonder, (not trying to insult you) do you think Apple release products with features out there people do want but through a combination of their marketing and peer pressure convince people that they don't really need that feature?

That is until they add it if they can get it working to their standards?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

they have a user experience that is great for 90% off all users. Most people do not want to be able to tweak and change things. They just want a device that can play music/movies/games and make phone calls with no issues. The Iphone wins for all of those users.

It might look like that, but Apple hit mobile phone market with product that didn't exist before and a really good one. The real problem start when they have grown enough and met the market like Nokia.

Iphone OS hasn't really done anything amazing in 3 years time. Nothing that WM7 couldn't fight in USA and nothing that Nokia's fresh UI with MeeGo couldn't win it's market share back partly. Not to even talk about Android.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Canada
I wonder if the marketing trick is they leave out something popular, and then add it in an update at the end, so that users can't complain.

For example, can't complain about iPhone not having copy/paste because they eventually added it. A couple years from now we won't be able to complain about iPad not having multi-task, because the fans shall defend the iPad by referring to the feature update that was called multi-tasking.

Leave something out that you know you can easily fix later, and you shall instantly be able to turn your negative publicity into a positive whenever you want.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
google should get together with device companies and dream up a unified connector, as that seems to be what makes i(pod/phone/pad) appeal to the various car and stereo companies.

but then i guess it also appeals somewhat that all those devices have had the same basic footprint. If you cant fit a ipad, you can probably also fit a ipod or iphone in the same slot. Its the one place apple seems to have been bending over backwards to maintain backwards compatibility the way microsoft have been doing on their OS releases. Their ball is rolling, and now they have to make sure the surface stays as friction free as possible so that no other ball may catch up.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
While I agree, I wonder, (not trying to insult you) do you think Apple release products with features out there people do want but through a combination of their marketing and peer pressure convince people that they don't really need that feature?

Yes, I think it's a combination of all of those. Leaving out features make the product simpler (to understand, to use, to support, etc), while giving an obvious upgrade path to charge high premiums on.

I think Jobs is a genius snake oil salesman, but I also think he's a genius UI\UX designer. Their UI\UX might be too simplistic\restrictive for most people who like to tinker with their gadgets; but I think it's damn near perfect for what the product was inteded for. I believe their last few products (iPhone, iPod Touch, Apple TV, iPad) are in the appliance category, while they have the guts made out of components that are used by other companies to make computer systems or whatnot.

@tso: can they just implement an (ip based) protocol over USB 3.0 or something? or how about using mini-USB for that; so it charges and sync with the current standard..
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-04-10 at 15:55.