Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
I am so glad Nokia released 1.3, but I have a minor problem/question. Can you do the OTA update? It appears in the app manager, but when I click on it, it tells me to connect it to my pc via USB. I did so, then it wants me to run a backup. I did so, writing to mmc1. When that is complete, I close backup, and go back to the app manager. I have to click on Maemo 5 (or update all), it goes through the whole thing again.

Is it possible to update OTA or do I have to download and flash? Guess I'm doing this in the morning...

Thanks,
--vr

Certain updates are not available over the air. You need to connect your phone to your PC and use the Nokia Software Update software:

http://www.nokia.com.au/support/down...oftware-update

[moderator comment]
This is not true, OTA update is available but there are packages conflicting with it: if you look at the "info" tab of the package you will get notice of the conflict. if you now try to remove the package with "apt-get remove <package>" it will tell you the depending programs you then easily uninstall via app-manager. After you have done this you should be able to upgrade OTA.

[andmcg1 reply]
My mistake... Although, I believe doing it via the PC software is overall going to be easier.

All I did was do a backup, update via PC, then restore backup. It restored all of my settings, and reinstalled all of my applications. I am not sure manually removing packages would be any easier than that!

Last edited by andmcg1; 2010-10-28 at 09:47.

i think the problem is if you have certain packages, it cannot update via OTA. I successfully updated via OTA, but I think there are some packages (listed in some other thread) that need to be removed to be updated OTA, and then readded if possible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adalal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 313 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
I am so glad Nokia released 1.3, but I have a minor problem/question. Can you do the OTA update? It appears in the app manager, but when I click on it, it tells me to connect it to my pc via USB. I did so, then it wants me to run a backup. I did so, writing to mmc1. When that is complete, I close backup, and go back to the app manager. I have to click on Maemo 5 (or update all), it goes through the whole thing again.

Is it possible to update OTA or do I have to download and flash? Guess I'm doing this in the morning...

Thanks,
--vr
I had the same issue and had to uninstall healthcheck, cloudgps and libgles1 package for the update to install OTA.

Go to App Mgr and once you select the Maemo5 update, press the "Details" button and then the "Problems" tab. There it should tell you which packages to uninstall.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dsawhney For This Useful Post:
I *STRONGLY* recommend you backup (manually if necessary) and do a firmware flash (including eMMC) instead of the OTA update. I did this and have not run into any of the major problems everyone else has. Since I knew 1.3 was close and I've only had my N900 3 weeks or so, I deliberately didn't install a bunch of apps until 1.3 came out.

Making a clean install of *ANY* OS, including clean config files if possible, eliminates all sorts of problems compared to updating an existing installation. This was the original and still preferred way when updating Slackware (my preferred distro), was highly recommended for years (and maybe still is) once a year for a typical winblows installation, and experience proves it's a good idea here as well.

Mike

The Following User Says Thank You to storkus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 84 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Ames IA, USA
I always update with Ovi Suite or Nokia Software Updater with my PC. I think it's faster?? Is it??

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by storkus View Post
I *STRONGLY* recommend you backup (manually if necessary) and do a firmware flash (including eMMC) instead of the OTA update....Mike
Umm.... what is the logic of doing a eMMC flash for PR1.3?
TIA,

bun

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Pittsburgh, PA USA
I just updated my N900 OTA an hour ago. It was simple and fast. I just went to Applications. It asked me if I wanted to do a backup first and I did. After it downloaded and installed, it rebooted (it said it would). It took less than a half hour. It was painless. And now the N900 seems more responsive and e-mail is faster.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Umm.... what is the logic of doing a eMMC flash for PR1.3?
TIA,

bun
The logic of cleaning up old unused files and restoring from backup only the most necessary files.

But I used over-the-air (USB networking) update this time (and flasher for PR1.2).

Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
HI guys, i’m getting conflict with application packages: libgles1 -sgx-img (0.20091104.34+0m5) it won’t let me update?

Any ideas or support on how to find out which application this package relates to?

I've tried sudo gainroot > apt-get remove libgles1-sgx-img, and it just brought up a load of results but i don't know what it means?

i am a noob on all things n900.

thanks,

EDIT: After reading through some posts i tried the following in xterm...

/home/user # apt-cache rdepends libgles1-sgx-img
libgles1-sgx-img
Reverse Depends:
libgles1
nehegles
brainparty
libgles1
libgles1

The only app that i can identify from this list is Brainparty, however i had deleted this before running this command in xterm. Does that mean that there are still uninstalled packages for this app? Also any advice on how to remove the other ones?

Thanks,

Last edited by nathaneous; 2010-10-27 at 05:44.