Originally Posted by crabsody View Post
I totally agree. GPS in N900 is a shame
I'm using Mappero and I happy with it

The Following User Says Thank You to ivnvir For This Useful Post:
At one point in time, everyone had suggested changing the location server to google's. But at some point after PR1.2 I was playing around with the maps app, and swicthed it back to supl.nokia.com and now it seems not only as fast as google's, but more accurate as well.

Just thought I'd pass that on.

slaapliedje

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Sep 2010 @ saudi arabia
dear all

i think this problem is a bug in maemo5 beacuse while im try to connect GPS, my brother connected using HTC-HD2 easily in the same area and i didn't connect

please advice

Using straight GPS it always works best when you're not surrounded by concrete so go outdoors. Regardless, regular GPS takes a little while.

If you use AGPS then it uses cell towers.(make sure to turn it on in your settings. I don't think it's on by default). Recently I was having difficulty using GPS (AGPS turned on). It would lock on but after 2 or 3 minutes, sometimes more. It used to be 10 seconds(Google Maps). Anyways, I checked all my settings (used Nokia location server) and there was no improvement. Oh, well. Then last week I started having data problems and called T-Mobile. I went from level 1 to level 3 eventually they completely removed me from the network and re-added me. When i got data connection back my GPS lock was back down to just a few seconds. What did they do? I have no idea but I lock on almost immediately now.

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by dchky View Post
People complaining that the N900 GPS is too slow to lock, one word: Almanac. This is transmitted over a 12 and a half minute period. 50 bits per second. If your GPS doesn't catch all of it the first time, it has to pick up the bits it missed on the next run through, or the next, or the next...
So I just did the following:
* Went to 'offline' mode
* Ran clear-gps-cache as root
* Rebooted my phone (staying in offline mode when prompted)
* Went into my back garden and started location-test-gui using GNSS (not AGNSS)
* Got a fix in under 2mins 40s (I say under, as this was simply the time at which I checked... hadn't expected it so fast).

Based on your explanation, this shouldn't be possible and the N900 must still be caching something. What do you make of that?

Last edited by spanner; 2010-09-16 at 19:03.

2m40s sounds about right considering you weren't waving it around like a loony or constantly switching location-test-gui on and off, or covering and uncovering the gps antenna with your hands...

I remember with N810 before it got A-GPS, I put it in the car holder and switched it on, switched on engine and it'd have a fix by the time I had scraped myself a viewport in the ice on the windshield

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Since update to PR1.3, my gps lock is, almost instant. It has been going on the month by now, very satisfy with N900 GPS today. Did NOT do any hack, tweak. Just simply update to PR1.3, GPS becomes lovely

Please OP change the title, to be fair with Nokia.

bun

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by rhastdan View Post
can i say the nokia n900 is useless as a basic 3g phone???...!
No, you cant! It connected to 3G/3.5G instantly, better than anything I have seen!

Use that out of the box, no hacking/tweaks/special apps.

bun

Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
No, you cant! It connected to 3G/3.5G instantly, better than anything I have seen!

Use that out of the box, no hacking/tweaks/special apps.

bun
You want to try my Nokia N900 performance optimization tune-up utilities.

Click my signature!

hi buddy,

i am having problem with my n900 can u please tell me how to see if it is PR1.2 or PR1.3. actually GPS was working like great but recently i faced some issue with battery and i reinstall the software from nokia software updater, now the location GUI shows me 12 sattelites but i did not get lock on any of them. please help me if u can.

thanks
harry

Tags
lack of quality control