Hi,
As happy as I am with merging together "omg it breaks things" topics about leaked firmware and previous link-censoring actions, I think it's getting out of hand now.
I asked in a separate topic for some information about video calling (why do some contacts have it and others don't) and got my thread merged here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=51653&page=36
It might make sense if that was a "[Leaked PR1.2] discussion about new features", but this one isn't - I'm in the same thread as:
- disappearing personal information
- reflashing back to 1.1.1
- battery problems
- apps compatibility
- ... (37 pages of other unrelated stuff)

So what should I do? If anyone knows the answer to my question, s/he might never see it. And if I reposted it, I'd probably get a warning from the mods... this effectively means we either shout over each other in one thread without any serious chances of getting the answer, or make mods angry. There's also no information that all questions about the leaked firmware will be moved, adding more confusion.

Can we have either more topics and a *clear information* that no new pr1.2rc threads are allowed, or stop this silly merging? I propose these topics (at least):
- [Leaked PR1.2 RC] new features
- [Leaked PR1.2 RC] app compatibility
- [Leaked PR1.2 RC] problems
- [Leaked PR1.2 RC] recovering to the old version

The forum is for discussions after all, not for shaping n900 users groupthink.

Thanks

Last edited by viraptor; 2010-05-03 at 19:41.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to viraptor For This Useful Post:
From what you say and examples you give your complaint seems valid. Did not jknow this was happening.
But that's about all I can say.

Having several different threads on every bug or problem that might crop up in a "Leaked" pre-release candidate of a Firmware that's not out yet can make people very confused when it comes to problems with the *current* firmware of the device.

I dunno; I'm a bit torn on the issue. Any normal firmware update I'd probably agree with you - but this pre-release leaked version isn't even allowed to be shared across these forums. The mods even allowing a single long thread on the discussion seems more than what some site's would allow.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I can see it both ways. But if a thread has a certain degree of distinction as viraptor's appeared to, I would think the default would be to let it alone-- especially if the target thread has descended into noise

Obviously this needs to be discussed amongst the team...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I can see it both ways. But if a thread has a certain degree of distinction as viraptor's appeared to, I would think the default would be to let it alone-- especially if the target thread has descended into noise

Obviously this needs to be discussed amongst the team...
This nobody's recommendation is that any 1.2L thread problem should simply be renamed (if it doesn't already) to clearly state [Leaked 1.2] in the title and then for the most part treated like any other thread.

As long as it's clear that it's a problem with an experimental build should be OK...

(of course, like normal threads: similar threads should be merged.)
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Paris
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
The mods even allowing a single long thread on the discussion seems more than what some site's would allow.
Thats a fair point. At the same time I find the merged threads so confusing and incoherent that the noisy merged threads with broken convervations amounts to much the same thing.

I can appreciate that its not an easy moderation decision to make but I would prefer a less heavy handed approach. Its the day after a fair amount of people installed dodgy firmware. Obviously its going to be a big topic. So what?

Perhaps when they merge them they need to edit the first post in the thread they're merging to indicate that it's been merged into the thread.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

How about making the first post of the merged thread an index of problems, solutions and compatibility reports?

The Following User Says Thank You to SD. For This Useful Post: