I've been thinking of getting another phone but there still isn't anything that seems to be worth it on the market. I would need an unlocked pre 3 but the specs dont really overwhelm me to consider it an upgrade. I also don't want to be locked down to a specific carrier. The CSSU looks promising for the N900 and im sure that will keep me around for a few more months.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by jmc8501 View Post
[In reply to Crashdamage]

Although I agree that the hardware is less than desirable, the multitasking is so obviously superior that your opinion baffles me. With the N900 one must hit the x, which is difficult without the stylus, and somewhat unnatural and inconvenient. It's fine for a desktop and mouse environment, but not good with a touch interface.

Instead, WebOS provides a simple way to organize and close apps. The only thing I wish WebOS had are widgets.
Wait, you have issues wih hitting the bigass fatfinger/capacitive compatible X button on the top-right? 0.0

I almost never have issues hitting buttons on webpages in microB way smaller than that screen realstate waste.....

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
For my next "phone" i'll get another N900; there hasn't been anything that can fully replace it released yet.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
I had the same problems after the n900 had an uptime of 2-3 days. The phone app would take far too long to load. I believe it was caused by the phone having to write to swap before freeing enough memory to load the phone application. I installed and used swapolube and phones running great! It make the more ram free and really improves the performance. Give it try, it eased a lot of my fustration with the phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to mattedm For This Useful Post:
Dan since you seem so good with finding equivalent Android handsets which meet the requirements of anyone who is ready to shed there N900, here is my list. But I have a strong feeling you wont be very successful with this list.

1. I use my IR port as remote for my D90 and less occasionally as a remote with my other toys, hope you wont suggest the 99$ bluetooth to IR converter

2. I use fm transmitter a lot, leaving a external fm tx in the car is not an option since I travel a lot and rent cars , so the external fm transmitter becomes a device which I had most likely forget.

3. Fcam gives me all the manual controls plus the ability to shoot in raw, there might be an android app but am unaware of it.

4. Skype video calls has long been promised for Android but is yet to materialize.

5. An app like PhotoRec which will let me undelete a file

6. Ability to see which process consume cpu a lot and to kill them if needed..

That is it

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I can at least help you see what the equivalents are in Android, there:

- You mean like this? https://market.android.com/details?i...g.callrecorder or like this? https://market.android.com/details?i...lrecall.market (There seems to be many but these looked pretty good as the free and pay-for options.)

- Conky can probably easily be replaced by any number of widgets that report information, actually. There are many such apps and desktop widgets. For example: http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f...-widget-35933/

- There are a plethora of dictionary apps and Android's keyboards tend to come built-in with dictionary for spellcheck. Gingerbread (Android 2.3) in particular has an INSANELY comprehensive and multi-language dictionary available (you can even install any number of them and simply swipe your finger across the spacebar to instantly switch dictionaries even while you're typing)

- SSH itself is no problem with ConnectBot, but you won't be able to remotely use X for obvious reasons--good luck finding ANYTHING outside of Maemo/MeeGo on a handset to do that. On the other hand, VNC works perfectly and it's how I was able to remotely connect to my home server while I was on a train for a couple of days each way across the country back in November, using my Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Maybe someone can offer suggestions for another platform's equivalent (WebOS, iOS, etc.) of these features/apps.

Last edited by vijayv; 2011-03-14 at 04:51. Reason: unsubscribed

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vijayv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by vijayv View Post
Dan since you seem so good with finding equivalent Android handsets which meet the requirements of anyone who is ready to shed there N900, here is my list. But I have a strong feeling you wont be very successful with this list.

1. I use my IR port as remote for my D90 and less occasionally as a remote with my other toys, hope you wont suggest the 99$ bluetooth to IR converter

2. I use fm transmitter a lot, leaving a external fm tx in the car is not an option since I travel a lot and rent cars , so the external fm transmitter becomes a device which I had most likely forget.

3. Fcam gives me all the manual controls plus the ability to shoot in raw, there might be an android app but am unaware of it.

4. Skype video calls has long been promised for Android but is yet to materialize.

5. An app like PhotoRec which will let me undelete a file

6. Ability to see which process consume cpu a lot and to kill them if needed..

That is it
Hey I would like to consult danramos for his professional opinions on this too! May I add to your list.

@danramos if you don't mind, would you suggest android apps of the following too?

7. an messenger client that ties to address book, with the capability to receive offline messages(I don't want to miss message when I am offline!)

8. Aircrack

9. Ettercap, both with packet injection capability

10. nmap, with stealth mode

(don't get me wrong. I sometime helps people do security audit)

11. Being able to run Debian in a chroot environment

12. iptables like routing tools, sometime I need to set up routing between bluetooth PAN and wifi

13. a streaming server which stream video to external vlc client

14. overclocking kernal, in an installable package, with option to set frequencies range and low voltage profile

15. A camera app that does HDR shooting

16. a pressure sensitive drawing program that has same or more function as mypaint.

17. oh yes, is there any app to establish a Bluetooth PAN like connectivity manager? I kinda need it on daily basis

18. ssh client....with x-forwarding. You know that is important

19. a CISCO compliant vnc client

20. an app to create and mount loopback device such that I could create a different filesystem (e.g. encryption fs) on existing one

Since above are all free in N900, I'd be grateful if you would only suggest free alternatives in Android.

Thanks in advance danramos!

Last edited by 9000; 2011-03-11 at 08:22.

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Bristol, UK
nexus s will be my next phone

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by jmc8501 View Post
...the multitasking is so obviously superior that your opinion baffles me. With the N900 one must hit the x, which is difficult without the stylus, and somewhat unnatural and inconvenient.
Multi-tasking with WebOS is so obviously not superior that your opinion baffles me. Hitting the x is not at all unnatural. Everyone has used computers that way for many years. Besides, you only need to hit the x to close apps, not to multi-task them. And I never need the stylus to do it anyway, my big fingers work fine.

I actually like the way Maemo organizes multiple open apps better than WebOS. Hitting one button for access is faster than flipping through cards. Just doesn't look as cool.
Registered Linux user #266531.

Last edited by Crashdamage; 2011-03-11 at 12:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I'm also in a huge dillema right now what to replace my N900 for good.
But there isn't any that can do the things I do with my N900 right now.

1. MicroB + HW Keyboard - I love the virtual cursor also. It makes it more desktop-like than any other imo. Also love that it supports greasemonkey. I've used iphone/android/symbian and tried many web browsers. But nothing compares to the experience that N900 with MicroB gives. Nothing.

2. Multitasking of videos - Can any other phone do this?? I use SiB + mplayer for playing videos and it allows me to let it play it in the background while I check my email/browse web. Same for youtube videos within MicroB.

3. xterminal - Dunno. I just love performing all the file management and scripting installs, uninstalls etc from the terminal.

4. Multitasking via camera key - I don't think there could be any other phone as quick and easy to multitask naturally as N900+Maemo5.

Most good Android devices do not have hw keyboard which is major fail in my books.
Those that do have one have lower specs and smaller screen sizes. Grrr.
I want big screen, hw keyboard, good video playback support and good web browser.

GAWD. I just wish Nokia made a dual core, bigger LCD version of the N900 with the same Maemo5! (with HD video record/playback support)

Some that do interest me currently are:
1. Dell Venue Pro - Big screen, hw keyboard, wp7 has good potential but will need to wait a while for the Mango update.
2. Samsung Galaxy S2 - no HW keyboard is a concern.
3. LG Optimus 3D - OMAP 4430 is a beast and has interesting 3D capability. (novelty factor)

Last edited by jakiman; 2011-03-11 at 12:20.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I can at least help you see what the equivalents are in Android, there:

- You mean like this? https://market.android.com/details?i...g.callrecorder or like this? https://market.android.com/details?i...lrecall.market (There seems to be many but these looked pretty good as the free and pay-for options.)

- Conky can probably easily be replaced by any number of widgets that report information, actually. There are many such apps and desktop widgets. For example: http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f...-widget-35933/

- There are a plethora of dictionary apps and Android's keyboards tend to come built-in with dictionary for spellcheck. Gingerbread (Android 2.3) in particular has an INSANELY comprehensive and multi-language dictionary available (you can even install any number of them and simply swipe your finger across the spacebar to instantly switch dictionaries even while you're typing)

- SSH itself is no problem with ConnectBot, but you won't be able to remotely use X for obvious reasons--good luck finding ANYTHING outside of Maemo/MeeGo on a handset to do that. On the other hand, VNC works perfectly and it's how I was able to remotely connect to my home server while I was on a train for a couple of days each way across the country back in November, using my Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Maybe someone can offer suggestions for another platform's equivalent (WebOS, iOS, etc.) of these features/apps.
Thanks for your comments, I checked them all, other than the recorders do not have any positive comments, the rest looks very good.

One option I forgot to mention is the integrated skype phone. Donot know if other phones have similar feature?

I donot know if u have any perticular phone to reccomend.

Tags
maemo rocks, meego rocks, meego?hell no!