Active Topics

MeeGo is dead. Maemo lives on

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 360 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Pirkkala, Finland
Originally Posted by deadmalc View Post
if you look at the news section, i think there is a bit about meego.
meego 1.1 will be a ...

i think this means 1.1 is essentially a dev build (one developers cant use, from what i can see...)
Please don't mix news and rumours/feelings.
Rather, follow what is happening.

Originally Posted by thp
Video time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWtMLs3j09U

(Thanks to Stskeeps for updated graphics drivers, which make the UI faster..)

Those will be available at least on 1.2 development trunk fairly soon. Also, forum.meego.com might be better place to discuss about MeeGo status if you are concerned about it.

Br,
//Harri

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to harrihakulinen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
Maemo, and its significance to Nokia, has changed significantly since the "internet tablet" days - even by the N900 time, and moreso for MeeGo.

You can imagine that the pressure and responsibility at top management is immense. I could easily imagine someone used to "easier going" of early Maemo days to want to drop out when going gets serious. In that case, nobody should feel "sorry" - the one dropping out can pursue to have some semblance of "normal life" again, and the position is filled with someone that's hungry for the new challenges.

'QmlReddit' reads Reddit!

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
How's Quim going on? Is he OK? :/
I'm good, thanks!

Actually I'm following with a lot of excitement these changes. I had the pleasure to be interviewed by Ari (among others) when I joined Nokia and I owe him a lot. By the time I got started with Maemo he had been already a bunch of years in the company, in basically the same mission he still had last week (certainly growing bigger every year).

He brought the idea of Nokia betting on an Internet centric, touch UX based standard Linux platform and he pushed it from zero to hero. Also thanks to him the MeeGo team is not Simon & Garfunkel but more like a big band: the rhythm goes on no matter what.

Shhhh, don't be distracted by the noise. Hear the MeeGo drums approaching.

The Following 57 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
hopefully, i hope that the hardware reflects the nature of the software (maxxed out!). i wish him the best of luck in his new endeavors.

The Following User Says Thank You to shady For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Reuters -- Reuters -- Reuters -- Reuters

NOKIA International Press Conference:

Assoc Press: Are you concerned that all your intellectual talent all the way down to the Janitor at NOKIA are leaving?

NOKIA: NO, of course not. With our recent corporate relocation next to the Psilocybin farms in Holland, everything is GROOVY MAN!

Something that I perceived in Ari's posts in his blog is that he didn't mind for Maemo/MeeGo having "rough corners"; that in fact he liked that.

Considering that MeeGo is supposed to be the perfect all over contender in the high end against other devices, probably this paradigm of his wasn't the best for the future, hence his departure.

Mind you, it's pure speculation on my part.

But one thing is for sure, like Quim said, he made Maemo from zero to hero. So, respect to that.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
The two execs that I didn't want to see leave were Vanjoki and Jaaksi.

Oh well, at least we are still left with people like Savander, Mcdowell and Ojanperä, who have consistent track record in failing gloriously (Ovi, Comes With Music, corporate market etc).

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki Finland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
I'm good, thanks!

Actually I'm following with a lot of excitement these changes. I had the pleasure to be interviewed by Ari (among others) when I joined Nokia and I owe him a lot. By the time I got started with Maemo he had been already a bunch of years in the company, in basically the same mission he still had last week (certainly growing bigger every year).

He brought the idea of Nokia betting on an Internet centric, touch UX based standard Linux platform and he pushed it from zero to hero. Also thanks to him the MeeGo team is not Simon & Garfunkel but more like a big band: the rhythm goes on no matter what.

Shhhh, don't be distracted by the noise. Hear the MeeGo drums approaching.
Good to see you here, qgil.

Since everything seems to wrapping around MeeGo, could you answer a simple question?:

- is N900 going to receive a PR that brings Maps to a decent level (Maps 3.x, so we could finally used it..fixing issues like missing re-reroute, own POIs, offline usage etc.)?
- if not, and assuming that MeeGo gets ported to N900 by someone, can one use MeeGo version of Maps on N900?

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
The two execs that I didn't want to see leave were Vanjoki and Jaaksi.
QFT. I was very shocked when I learned that Vanjoki left. And they brought a guy with no experience in mobile, but in MS Office (??); but hey, he is from North America, so can you amateur NA blogs give us some respite while OPK's strategies flourish? Meh.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Tags
suomiexitnok