Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by hyartep View Post
just one thing to add - i don't see my n800 as converged device. it's no phone, no camera. i like it that way.
Here here! I second that! My opinion precisely.

heron61, what are you going to do about Word processing or spreadsheets when you need it. Then you need your laptop plus your N810 plus your N82 and do not forget your camera.

Thats just too much for me to bare.

Ive decided that no complementary device is needed at all with my N9X.

Of course I have a laptop/desktop and so, I am certain, do you. But for "on the go" web browsing with flash, word processing with full Word 2007 compatibility, phone calls, gps, hi-rez camera/video, and more all in a package the size of a

deck of cards, then the N9X is the way to go.

If the N8XX adds phone capability and a hi-rez camera then I am there since it is an awesome device however right now it fills a nitch of just an "internet tablet". Thats all it does. And thats just not enough.

heron61, what are you going to do about Word processing or spreadsheets when you need it. Then you need your laptop plus your N810 plus your N82 and do not forget your camera.
Well.. I have no problems word processing or spreadsheets on my tablet..

But then.. I don't ever just accept what the big company gives me on a device either. *shrug*.

It is missing the Hi-rez camera though.. I'll give you that.. But I like to talk on my phone at the same time as browsing the web.. so no need for it to be a phone anymore than skype can provide me.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

For me, the perfect convergence device would be a cellular with bigger resolution than the current ones have (640 x 480?), a little bigger screen than N95's, a 3 to 5 MP camera, and Linux as OS (maemo would be very welcome).

GPS optional, maybe qwerty keyboard, WIFI, Bluetooth, 3.5 audio jack, and *touchscreen*.

I'm bought by this device.

Not that I don't love my N800, but would love this one even more.

Last edited by salomc; 2008-08-26 at 15:17. Reason: typo

fatalSaint, what do you mean by:
"But then.. I don't ever just accept what the big company gives me on a device either. *shrug*. "

Sorry for asking if this should be obvious.

Also, what do you mean you do word processing on your tablet.

Is it able to be viewed in print preview mode and insert pictures, tables, etc. ? I didnt know this existed.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
We have (almost) every application you could dream of, thanks to the porting of Debian.

Using my Easy Debian package, you can have OpenOffice, a full office suite that is very compatible with Microsoft Office.

Anthony I run the full debian linux.. which means all the applications ported to Linux - which includes numerous Word Processors; one of the more powerful ones being OpenOffice (runner up is KOffice).. which can be made to be 2007 compatible with XML converters and such.. Then of Course Kword, Abiword, Latex...

Scribus for desktop Publishing (Microsoft Publisher comparable)...

The list goes on. Pretty much anything my Linux desktop can do my Tablet can do short of Games and heavy software compiling.

Thats impressive.
I knew everything could run however I thought performance was so poor you just dont run anything truly worthwhile. I just see the N8XX just choking like a baby running apps originally developed for a desktop.

If you are happy with performance though than I am sure its good. Please tell me ?

This does still not make me change me feelings about the N9X being a better device that does everything. With your configuration you still need a camera, a cellphone, and also a laptop/desktop.

My scenaio has me only having a laptop/desktop.

Bottom line to me though is if phone, camera capability is added to the N8XX then I am there in a heart beat. I would actually buy six (6) of them just for kicks.

I dont use my Laptop/Desktop for anything anymore unless, like i said, I needed something large to compile with or doing DVD stuff.

The Tablet has totally taken over my need for a laptop/desktop. And it has a camera.. which is good enough - If i wanted to take professional quality photo's I'd use my wife's Nikon .. that's what it's for.

And the phone thing we'll just have to agree to disagree.. I wouldn't mind an always on skype connection.. but I'm with the crowd who doesn't want to be locked into a service or a monthly fee.. and I use my tablet while I chat on my blackberry anyway.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I've survived this far into the 21st century without a mobile phone, and somehow, I'm still alive. Maybe I just don't have enough friends.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
troll