Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
lmao, that macle my clay...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
If it were at all possible I'd want the multi-point touchscreen AND a stylus =-(.. but when I have to pick between the two I go stylus.. it's more functional - Games aren't what I bought the tablet for.. (even though I trumped all when I showed them Doom )
I'm with you on that. I think a possible solution would be a Wacom (or equivalent) digitizer and a capacitive multi-touch sensor; to limit power draw from the active digitizer, it can be turned off when the stylus is stowed.

I have a combo resistive/digitizer on my tx2000, and it's quite nice to work on; replacing the resistive with multi-touch would be great as it would make two-thumbing easier.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I wonder if the average user ever thinks of the UI we have as being inconsistent or crappy or anything else than "the way it should be".

Sometimes I think we're just a bunch of very, very strange people - and in no way representative of the real world out there

(I mean... come on! Would any normal user register on a forum and discuss user interface design???)
those that "dont care" are better known as sheeple

but seriously, the silent majority probably makes do with what they have at hand. it may even be that they dont install additional software, or even upgrade the firmware...

thats one of the pet issues with reviews of things like the recent netbooks. the tester, being probably a knowledgeable windows user, keeps saying that while the product is ok out of the box, installing stuff is a hassle.

but i wonder how many really install software. mostly it seems to be that ones you go beyond the media player codecs and the office pack, non-gamers or people with work related needs dont seem to install that much.

and if they do its probably so rarely that they grab the nearest geek to do it for them, or at least be on standby while its done in case of some weird event. and for those users, anything can be considered weird...

i think that the more one think of something as static ones its on hardware, the closer one gets to how it will be used.

hell, i wonder how many non-geeks would like to own a remote control that have its button layout change depending on what its controlling at the moment.

and then take that concept and scale it maybe 100-1000 times to get you smartphone, pda, tablet or computer.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I have a combo resistive/digitizer on my tx2000, and it's quite nice to work on; replacing the resistive with multi-touch would be great as it would make two-thumbing easier.
that would be how the dell convertible is equipped iirc...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!

Thanks to Benny, now I gotta show this thread to the wife...

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I don't see a better way for right clicks to be emulated on the tablets, unless one considers combining touch with a hardware button press-- and I just don't see that as better. But to each his own.
Why not both methods? I want to right click combining a hardware button press with touch when I'm holding the NIT with left hand and touching the screen with right hand. That would be much more practical IMO. One doesn't exclude the other.

Originally Posted by salomc View Post
Why not both methods? I want to right click combining a hardware button press with touch when I'm holding the NIT with left hand and touching the screen with right hand. That would be much more practical IMO. One doesn't exclude the other.
Eh??

So now the tablet has to figure out which hand you are holding it with???

But you're right... you could have an "always on" Power+C l ick = Right C l ick or Long C L ick = right C l ick ...

pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
you could have an "always on" Power+C l ick = Right C l ick or Long C L ick = right C l ick ...
You can never be too careful, you could end up looking like a real click.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
You can never be too careful, you could end up looking like a real click.
Hey.. stop clicking around... "This is serious thread!"

pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Eh??

So now the tablet has to figure out which hand you are holding it with???
Not necessarily. It's enough if both methods are available all the time

Tags
stuff nokia should read, user interface, whining