Yep, I figured out the magnet is pretty crucial, when mine fell out!

Simple solution!

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bulgaria
I dont know what to say !!! This is expensive phone, Nokia high end gadget. No comment

but solution works thanks once again

hi all sorry to bumb this old tread,

Thanks to the code mentioned above I now know that my N900 thinks the cover is open although it is closed. This occured after dropping the phone so maybe there is something fisically broken to cause this behavior.

Can anyone help me on this one?

greets

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Check the magnet is still there, you probably lost it.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ghlight=magnet

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
But the bumper thinks i am kidding lol.

yeah, problem is, it seems the magnet is still in place, I'll try to hold an other magnet in place when I get home and see it it works like that.

Hello, can someone help me figuring out way is my n900 showing the microsd card as corrupted, I try with many diferent cards used and new and always same problem.
This is my dmesg info after opening back door, inserting the memory and then closing the back door.
$ dmesg | grep -i 'mmc0:'
[ 734.233306] mmc0: cover is open, card is now inaccessible
[ 734.542388] mmc0: card 0003 removed
[ 783.005371] mmc0: cover is closed, card is now accessible
[ 783.691650] mmc0: host does not support reading read-only switch. assuming write-enable.
[ 783.691711] mmc0: new high speed SD card at address 0003
[ 783.697418] mmcblk1: mmc0:0003 SD2GB 1.83 GiB

Thank you for your help.

ok so, I've been testing the detection of the back cover with a magnet on various places around the camera and I can't give my phone the idea the cover is closed.

Is there a way to stop the N900 from looking at the cover, as in, can I tell it the cover is closed without the magnet thingy doing it's job?

Posts: 303 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
I bought my first N900 the day it launched.. On the whole it was pretty good with SD cards.. but when I bought a SanDisk 32GB card just under a year ago things didn't behave so well..

It saw the card, it would let me format it.. it would read content from the card correctly, but it would invariably corrupt the card quickly..

This didn't happen with my 16GB, 8GB and 2GB SanDisk cards, only the 32GB one..

It was able to write to the card.. using DD I filled it and proved it had written correctly, but the random access of using the vfat file system meant errors crept in..

The card, just as with all my others, worked fine in all my other devices (including my E90 and N97 handsets)

Anywho, I had to stop using the 32gb card and resort to the 16

Last december I accidently launched my N900 into the road whilst fumbling putting it back in its case.. the LCD broke.. bummer.. I bought a replacement.. What do you know, the same 32gb card worked perfectly (still is) in this phone.. Same firmware, same software, same kernel..

The SD card slot on the N900 is nothing short of crap.. Compared to the slot loading one on the N97 which is firmly at the quality end of the spectrum.. It seems that poor fitting can introduce noise and under duplex condtions (read and write) it seems to cause problems..

I always suspected my N900's socket was a fault, but it wasn't until I needed to buy a replacement handset I had the proof..

nasty.. cheap.. part..

(*note I am using the same back cover from the original N900 on my new N900, so it wasn't a magnet issue, either)

tldr; some N900 SD card slots are poor, you may be unlucky with some or even all sd cards..

The Following User Says Thank You to cpitchford For This Useful Post:

Tags
bum didn't search